* Telnetd hangs for a while before giving login prompt
@ 2002-12-17  3:57 Raghav
From: Raghav @ 2002-12-17  3:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi,

	Finally found what the problem is. Let me not get into technical details of
this. But inetd runs as SYSTEM and home directory of SYSTEM will be set to
"/". Edit passwd file and change the home directory of SYSTEM to something
(e.g, /tmp). Restart the inetd. Now telnetd should work fine. :-)

Raghav

Hi,

	I have installed cygwin 1.3.16 on my win2k workstation. I have installed
inetd as a service and am running it as localsystem. I have created
passwd/group files for local users only, not domain users. rlogin is working
without any problem. But if I try to telnet my machine, it hangs for about 3
minutes or so before giving me the login prompt. This happens only if I have
logged into the domain. Even if i remove the network cable from my machine,
Prompt will appear quickly. There is no problem with reverse dns lookup --
nslookup works fine both for forward and reverse lookups. Any clue what
might be wrong? or is it a bug in telnetd?

* Re: Telnetd hangs for a while before giving login prompt
@ 2002-11-28  5:57       ` Danilo Turina
From: Danilo Turina @ 2002-11-28  5:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 28, 2002 at 12:55:13PM +0100, Danilo Turina wrote:
>
>>Raghav wrote:
>>

>>>Hi,
>>>
>>>	I have installed cygwin 1.3.16 on my win2k workstation. I have installed
>>>inetd as a service and am running it as localsystem. I have created
>>>passwd/group files for local users only, not domain users. rlogin is
>>>working
>>>without any problem. But if I try to telnet my machine, it hangs for
>>>about 3
>>>minutes or so before giving me the login prompt. This happens only if
>>>I have
>>>logged into the domain. Even if i remove the network cable from my
>>>machine,
>>>Prompt will appear quickly. There is no problem with reverse dns lookup --
>>>nslookup works fine both for forward and reverse lookups. Any clue what
>>>might be wrong? or is it a bug in telnetd?
>>
>>I have the same identical problem since 1.3.13 or maybe 1.3.12.
>>But I have not been able to track down the causes.
>>On October 14th I posted this message:
>>[...]
>

> Network paths in the system PATH variable?
>
> Corinna

No, my PATH only contains directories in C:
The only thing that could interfere is a NFS Client (FTP Software's
InterDrive 5.0) that I suspect also causes some crashes of Explorer.
Unfortunately there's no easy way to stop its services to try if the
problem goes away without it.

Ciao,

		Danilo

* Re: Telnetd hangs for a while before giving login prompt
@ 2002-11-28  5:55     ` Danilo Turina
From: Danilo Turina @ 2002-11-28  5:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2002-11-28  5:51   ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2002-11-28  5:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Thu, Nov 28, 2002 at 12:55:13PM +0100, Danilo Turina wrote:
> Raghav wrote:
>
> >Hi,
> >
> >	I have installed cygwin 1.3.16 on my win2k workstation. I have installed
> >inetd as a service and am running it as localsystem. I have created
> >passwd/group files for local users only, not domain users. rlogin is
> >working
> >without any problem. But if I try to telnet my machine, it hangs for
> >about 3
> >minutes or so before giving me the login prompt. This happens only if
> >I have
> >logged into the domain. Even if i remove the network cable from my
> >machine,
> >Prompt will appear quickly. There is no problem with reverse dns lookup --
> >nslookup works fine both for forward and reverse lookups. Any clue what
> >might be wrong? or is it a bug in telnetd?
>
> I have the same identical problem since 1.3.13 or maybe 1.3.12.
> But I have not been able to track down the causes.
> On October 14th I posted this message:
> [...]

Network paths in the system PATH variable?

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.

* Re: Telnetd hangs for a while before giving login prompt
@ 2002-11-28  5:20 ` Danilo Turina
From: Danilo Turina @ 2002-11-28  5:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2002-11-27 21:55 Raghav