* Re: Problems with Win 98 SE CYGWin Installation
@ 2003-04-25 12:35 fergus
From: fergus @ 2003-04-25 12:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: fergus

> I've recently downloaded the setup.exe program
> from the website and every time I get to the package
> selection section of the program my machine hangs.

I've been running Cygwin from W98/SE, totally up-to-date and well-founded,
for ages.

1. I assume you mean you've downloaded just setup.exe and none of the
resource. By the way, setup.exe is just an installer, not a self-exploding
archived version of the entire application, like some Windows "setup.exe"
programs are. So if you run it from disk, you still need a network
connection to be open and running? Sorry, I'm sure you know this, just worth
checking ...

2. Maybe the file got corrupted during the download? You could try
initiating the download and installation using http://cygwin.com/setup.exe,
so as to operate from first principles, so to speak.

3. Some things take a LONG time. Are you requesting the default
installation? If you click the selector at All Default to change to All
Install, nothing happens (I mean, nothing -- not even an eggtimer) for up to
a minute. This can give the impression of hanging without actually having
hung ...

Fergus

* RE: Problems with Win 98 SE CYGWin Installation
@ 2003-04-25 23:38 ` Hannu E K Nevalainen (garbage mail)
From: Hannu E K Nevalainen (garbage mail) @ 2003-04-25 23:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> From: cygwin-owner@cygwin.com [mailto:cygwin-owner@cygwin.com]On Behalf
> Of fergus@bonhard.uklinux.net

--8<--
> 3. Some things take a LONG time. Are you requesting the default
> installation? If you click the selector at All Default to change to All
> Install, nothing happens (I mean, nothing -- not even an
> eggtimer) for up to
> a minute. This can give the impression of hanging without actually having
> hung ...

 Expect that "minute" to be more than long if you have a slow machine.

/Hannu E K Nevalainen, Mariefred, Sweden
 - Running cygwin on 98SE, P2/450Mhz

--END OF MESSAGE--

* RE: Problems with Win 98 SE CYGWin Installation
@ 2003-04-25 23:40   ` Robert Collins
From: Robert Collins @ 2003-04-25 23:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hannu E K Nevalainen (garbage   mail); +Cc: cygwin

You could try the current setup snapshot - it should fix that 'long'
minute.

Rob

On Sat, 2003-04-26 at 08:04, Hannu E K Nevalainen (garbage mail) wrote:
> > From: cygwin-owner@cygwin.com [mailto:cygwin-owner@cygwin.com]On Behalf
> > Of fergus@bonhard.uklinux.net
>
> --8<--
> > 3. Some things take a LONG time. Are you requesting the default
> > installation? If you click the selector at All Default to change to All
> > Install, nothing happens (I mean, nothing -- not even an
> > eggtimer) for up to
> > a minute. This can give the impression of hanging without actually having
> > hung ...
>
>  Expect that "minute" to be more than long if you have a slow machine.
>
> /Hannu E K Nevalainen, Mariefred, Sweden
>  - Running cygwin on 98SE, P2/450Mhz
>
> --END OF MESSAGE--
>
> --
GPG key available at: <http://users.bigpond.net.au/robertc/keys.txt>.

* RE: Problems with Win 98 SE CYGWin Installation
@ 2003-04-26 21:08     ` Hannu E K Nevalainen (garbage mail)
From: Anthony M. Saffer @ 2003-04-25 16:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Pollard; +Cc: cygwin

Hi Robert,

It seems that was the problem. I just let the setup program sit and cook for
a while and it finally responded. Thanks for the input and thanks to
everyone who offered help!

Anthony

From: Robert Pollard @ 2003-04-25 16:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Anthony M. Saffer; +Cc: cygwin

@ 2003-04-25 10:07 ` Martin
From: Martin @ 2003-04-25 10:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Anthony M. Saffer, cygwin

> I've recently downloaded the setup.exe program from the website and every
> time I get to the package selection section of the program my machine
hangs.
> I'm running Windows 98 Second Edition and it's patched as of the last fix
> Microsoft issued for Win 98 SE.  I've searched the archives and found the
> issues with AV software and I've followed the instructions and it still
> hangs. I've even completely disabled both my firewall and my AV program
with
> no luck. Can anyone tell me what might be the problem?
>
> Thanks!
> Anthony Saffer

What type of File System are you installing to?
Martin

* Problems with Win 98 SE CYGWin Installation
@ 2003-04-25  9:53 Anthony M. Saffer