* [FAQ] Packages reported as "Incomplete" by "cygcheck -c"
@ 2003-09-15 17:18 Igor Pechtchanski
  2003-09-21 22:51 ` SUGGESTION wrt preremove / postinstall / preinstall (RE: [FAQ] Packages reported as "Incomplete" by "cygcheck -c") Hannu E K Nevalainen (garbage mail)
From: Igor Pechtchanski @ 2003-09-15 17:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi all,

There seem to be a lot of questions about the new feature of "cygcheck -c"
that checks whether all package files are present.  I'll try to address
some of the concerns/FAQs here:

Q: What is this "Status" thing?
A: In recent versions of Cygwin, "cygcheck -c" will check package
   installations to see if all the originally installed files are present.
   If any of these files are missing, cygcheck will report the package
   status as "Incomplete".  Otherwise, it will report the package as "OK".
   To get the full list of missing files, run in verbose mode (add a "-v"
   option, i.e., "cygcheck -c -v").

Q: What exactly does it do?
A: The new feature opens the manifest file for the package that setup
   keeps, and checks whether all the files in that manifest are present on
   your system.  It does not check that the files are the same ones as
   were extracted from the archive.  It also does not (currently) track
   files created/renamed by postinstall scripts.

Q: This makes "cygcheck -c" so-o slow!  How do I turn it off?
A: Use the "-d" option in addition to "-c" to get the "old" functionality
   (i.e., "cygcheck -c -d").

Q: Why is "XFree86-base" ("texmf-*") reported as "Incomplete"?
A: Before Cygwin 1.5.4, "cygcheck -c" mistakenly reported empty packages
   (which don't have manifest files) as "Incomplete".  This should be
   fixed in 1.5.4 and above.  Note that in verbose mode, cygcheck will
   still complain about not being able to open the manifest file.

Q: Why are "apache" and "mod_*" packages reported as "Incomplete"?
A: The "apache" and "mod_*" packages use a postinstall script that renames
   an originally installed directory.  Therefore, that directory is not
   found by "cygcheck -c".  Suggestions on how to deal with this are
   welcome (patches doubly so ;-)).

Hopefully this alleviates some of the concerns people have.  Maybe these
should be added to the Cygwin FAQ, but I just wanted to get them into the
archives.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

* SUGGESTION wrt preremove / postinstall / preinstall  (RE: [FAQ] Packages reported as "Incomplete" by "cygcheck -c")
@ 2003-09-21 22:51 ` Hannu E K Nevalainen (garbage mail)
> Q: Why are "apache" and "mod_*" packages reported as "Incomplete"?
> A: The "apache" and "mod_*" packages use a postinstall script that renames
>    an originally installed directory.  Therefore, that directory is not
>    found by "cygcheck -c".  Suggestions on how to deal with this are
>    welcome (patches doubly so ;-)).

Suggestion:
  post/preinstall scripts that MOVE or RENAME files must "retain the
filename"
i.e.

	$ mv prev-name new-name
	$ ln -s prev-name new-name

  preremove script:

	$ rm prev-name
	$ rm new-name

Would this work?
Could at least be a "interrim solution", don't you think?

Is it possible to list (add) a filename in the archive in some way? (HOW?)

/Hannu E K Nevalainen, B.Sc. EE - 59?16.37'N, 17?12.60'E
-- UTC+01, DST -> UTC+02  --
--END OF MESSAGE--

* Re: SUGGESTION wrt preremove / postinstall / preinstall (RE: [FAQ] Packages reported as "Incomplete" by "cygcheck -c")
@ 2003-09-21 23:21   ` Igor Pechtchanski
From: Igor Pechtchanski @ 2003-09-21 23:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
On Mon, 22 Sep 2003, Hannu E K Nevalainen (garbage mail) wrote:

> [...]

Most postinstall scripts accomplish exactly that by copying the files
instead of moving them.  I don't see that this is too practical in the
case of apache, as this is a whole deeply nested directory -- I'm guessing
the "mv" is an optimization.

The "right" solution, IMO, would be to somehow mark the affected files as
"movable by postinstall scripts", so that cygcheck doesn't attempt to
locate them.  One way to do this is to designate a directory in the Cygwin
FHS for "scratch files", and have cygcheck not check any files or
directories installed into that tree.

Some solutions specifically for apache (considering that it provides a
default www tree) might be to distribute the tree separately, in a helper
package (kind of like tetex-* do with the texmf tree), or to package the
tree as a .tar file and untar it in the postinstall script (and keep the
tar file around).  The mod_* postinstall scripts should simply keep the
original (unrebased) DLLs around.
	Igor
P.S. I'm not sure I understand the last question.
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

@ 2003-09-22  3:52     ` Robert Collins
From: Robert Collins @ 2003-09-22  3:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: Hannu E K Nevalainen (garbage mail)

In general, setup needs to be taught about classes of files:
configuration files vs image files vs data and script files.

Once that general concept is in place, we can:
* support rpm and dpkg formats more effectively
* add classes for things like apache
* be smarter about rebasing

etc etc etc

Rob

* RE: SUGGESTION wrt preremove / postinstall / preinstall (RE: [FAQ]Packages reported as "Incomplete" by "cygcheck -c")
@ 2003-09-22  8:55       ` Hannu E K Nevalainen (garbage mail)
From: Hannu E K Nevalainen (garbage mail) @ 2003-09-22  8:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> From: Robert Collins

> In general, setup needs to be taught about classes of files:
> configuration files vs image files vs data and script files.
>
> Once that general concept is in place, we can:
> * support rpm and dpkg formats more effectively
> * add classes for things like apache
> * be smarter about rebasing
>
> etc etc etc

 I'm sure this is the way to go... I'm not that intimate with the details of
how setup works.
 My idea was based on a wish to "clean up" - for the moment.
I didn't expect it to become a "long time solution" :-)

@ 2003-09-22  9:00     ` Hannu E K Nevalainen (garbage mail)
From: Hannu E K Nevalainen (garbage mail) @ 2003-09-22  9:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

 Ok. Then my suggestion is just replicating current status. Well... ;-)

> The "right" solution, IMO, would be to somehow mark the affected files as
> "movable by postinstall scripts", so that cygcheck doesn't attempt to
> locate them.  One way to do this is to designate a directory in the Cygwin
> FHS for "scratch files", and have cygcheck not check any files or
> directories installed into that tree.

 This doesn't appeal to my "estetic sense"... ;-7

> Some solutions specifically for apache (considering that it provides a
> default www tree) might be to distribute the tree separately, in a helper
> package (kind of like tetex-* do with the texmf tree), or to package the
> tree as a .tar file and untar it in the postinstall script (and keep the
> tar file around).  The mod_* postinstall scripts should simply keep the
> original (unrebased) DLLs around.
> 	Igor

That would allow a "reset" of those. A positive thing? Never mind.

> P.S. I'm not sure I understand the last question.

 Ahh... beeing tired again -> too few words.

The idea was to add the "name of the copy" to the "list of files in this
package", and to do this during pre/postinstall - if that is feasible.

 Now that I read it once again, the idea doesn't seems so good anymore.

@ 2003-09-22 10:02         ` Robert Collins
From: Robert Collins @ 2003-09-22 10:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hannu E K Nevalainen (garbage mail); +Cc: cygwin