* i want to re-download all packages... how?
@ 2004-04-22 15:23 electa
From: electa @ 2004-04-22 15:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

i have some packeges installed, but i have lost their .bz2 files...
now i want to retrieve all packages because I would like to put them on a
CD-RW!
--> setup.exe knows what packages i have alreay installed and don't download
them...

* Re: i want to re-download all packages... how?
@ 2004-04-22 15:42 ` Yitzchak Scott-Thoennes
From: Yitzchak Scott-Thoennes @ 2004-04-22 15:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Thu, Apr 22, 2004 at 05:00:50PM +0200, electa wrote:
> i have some packeges installed, but i have lost their .bz2 files...
> now i want to retrieve all packages because I would like to put them on a
> CD-RW!
> --> setup.exe knows what packages i have alreay installed and don't download
> them...

In download to local directory mode, try toggling the selector next to
the "All" category to "Reinstall"?

* Re: i want to re-download all packages... how?
@ 2004-04-22 16:00   ` electa
                       ` (3 more replies)
From: electa @ 2004-04-22 16:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

it selects only my installed packs,  but not the other. i want all for my
cygwin-CD!

"Yitzchak Scott-Thoennes" <sthoenna@efn.org> ha scritto nel messaggio
> On Thu, Apr 22, 2004 at 05:00:50PM +0200, electa wrote:
> > i have some packeges installed, but i have lost their .bz2 files...
> > now i want to retrieve all packages because I would like to put them on
> > CD-RW!
> > --> setup.exe knows what packages i have alreay installed and don't
download
> > them...
>
> In download to local directory mode, try toggling the selector next to
> the "All" category to "Reinstall"?

* Re: i want to re-download all packages... how?
@ 2004-04-22 16:40     ` Larry Hall
                       ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Larry Hall @ 2004-04-22 16:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: electa, cygwin

Select a different mirror.

Larry

@ 2004-04-22 16:45     ` Yitzchak Scott-Thoennes
From: Yitzchak Scott-Thoennes @ 2004-04-22 16:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

So do it once that way to get the installed packages and then run it again
to get the uninstalled packages.

On Thu, Apr 22, 2004 at 05:43:21PM +0200, electa wrote:
> it selects only my installed packs,  but not the other. i want all for my
> cygwin-CD!
>
> "Yitzchak Scott-Thoennes" <sthoenna@efn.org> ha scritto nel messaggio

                             ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Please feed the spammers my email address; it can only be a drop in the
bucket over the 10-30 Mb/day I get now.  :)

@ 2004-04-22 16:52 ` Dave Korn
From: Dave Korn @ 2004-04-22 16:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
> i have some packeges installed, but i have lost their .bz2 files...
> now i want to retrieve all packages because I would like to
> put them on a
> CD-RW!
> --> setup.exe knows what packages i have alreay installed and
> don't download
> them...

If you *really* want to download absolutely *everything*, just delete the
entire contents of your local download directory and start again.

    cheers,
      DaveK

* Re: i want to re-download all packages... how?
@ 2004-04-22 17:05     ` Brian Keener
From: Brian Keener @ 2004-04-22 17:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Electa wrote:
> it selects only my installed packs, but not the other. i want all for my
> cygwin-CD!

It would appear the easiest way to accomplish this is to select download from
internet.  Then when you get to the chooser screen you have two choices the
first is to click the view tab until you get to full list and then select
reinstall or install for each packages - this is sure to get them all.

Second choise is on the category view first click on the rotate icon next to
All Default until it say reinstall.  This will now download all the packages
you have installed as you said.  Let these download, then run setup again and
this time for the All default icon click until you get to install - this should
select all packages you do not have installed and flag the once you have as
keep.  You can check these settings each time by rolling through the views to
Full and see what is selected.  Also on this pass though checked the skipped
view because I still had 4 or 5 in that view so check them if there are any.

Hope this helps.

bk

* RE: i want to re-download all packages... how?
@ 2004-04-22 17:50   ` Larry Hall
From: Larry Hall @ 2004-04-22 17:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Korn, cygwin

At 12:46 PM 4/22/2004, you wrote:
> [...]

Actually, I think that was his original problem. ;-)  If you want to make
setup forget about what you have installed, you need to remove the files
in '/etc/setup'.  This assumes the OP wants to install everything too
though, which isn't clear from the original post.

Holliston, MA 01746

* RE: i want to re-download all packages... how?
@ 2004-04-22 20:24     ` Hannu E K Nevalainen
> > If you *really* want to download absolutely *everything*, just
> > delete the entire contents of your local download directory and
> > start again.

 _That_ is plain MEAN ;-)

> Actually, I think that was his original problem. ;-)  If you want
> to make setup forget about what you have installed, you need to
> remove the files in '/etc/setup'.  This assumes the OP wants to
> install everything too though, which isn't clear from the
> original post.

 He wanted it on a cd/rw... IMO that implies _not_ installing it.

Here's an easier way, assuming you have cygwin already installed.

I suppose this could be the basis of a temporary(!?) deactivation of
an entire cygwin installation (maybe even swapping from one cygwin version
to another!); here we go:

	$ echo >/recyg.bat "cd \"$(cygpath -w /bin)\""
	$ mount -m >>/recyg.bat

Note that if you have this;
	$ echo $CYGWIN
... check_case:strict ...

then you might have to launch CMD.EXE (or COMMAND.COM) like this;

	$ CMD.EXE
	Microsoft Windows <BLURB>

	C:\Program\Cygwin\bin> umount -A
	C:\Program\Cygwin\bin> mount
	c: on /cygdrive/c type system (binmode,noumount)
	d: on /cygdrive/d type system (binmode,noumount)
	e: on /cygdrive/e type system (binmode,noumount)
	<blah, blah>

 run setup.exe, do whatever you like EXCEPT reinstall.

For ease of restoration;
 do _NOT_ close the bash you have open.
Note - *This* is why you shouldn't reinstall:
 you'll have bash+cygwin1.dll loaded, at least.

Though, FWIW: Closing the bash session+rxvt/console isn't a problem;
all you have to do is look up <cygwin-install-path>\recyg.bat
and execute it.

Given the above _NOT_ closed bash though; restoration is done thus:

	C:\Program\Cygwin\bin>..\recyg
	<a bunch of mount commands get executed>
	C:\Program\Cygwin\bin>mount
	<list of previous mounts>
	c: on /cygdrive/c type system (binmode,noumount)
	d: on /cygdrive/d type system (binmode,noumount)
	e: on /cygdrive/e type system (binmode,noumount)
	<blah, blah>

	C:\Program\Cygwin\bin>exit
	$

...your previous cygwin is back again.

/Hannu E K Nevalainen, B.Sc. EE - 59+16.37'N, 17+12.60'E

** on a mailing list; please keep replies on that particular list **

-- printf("LocalTime: UTC+%02d\n",(DST)? 2:1); --
--END OF MESSAGE--

* [OT] Email address. Re: i want to re-download all packages... how?
@ 2004-04-23  9:40       ` Jani tiainen
From: Jani tiainen @ 2004-04-23  9:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Yitzchak Scott-Thoennes wrote:

> So do it once that way to get the installed packages and then run it again
> to get the uninstalled packages.
>
> On Thu, Apr 22, 2004 at 05:43:21PM +0200, electa wrote:
>
>>it selects only my installed packs,  but not the other. i want all for my
>>cygwin-CD!
>>
>>"Yitzchak Scott-Thoennes" <sthoenna@efn.org> ha scritto nel messaggio
>

>                              ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> Please feed the spammers my email address; it can only be a drop in the
> bucket over the 10-30 Mb/day I get now.  :)

Everyone who writes on a mailinglist that will be archived on net in
very searchable way shouldn't expose real e-mail address.

This is like leaving your door unlocked while leaving your house/apartment.

* Re: [OT] Email address. Re: i want to re-download all packages... how?
@ 2004-04-23 10:34         ` Jani tiainen
From: Jani tiainen @ 2004-04-23 10:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Jani tiainen wrote:

> Yitzchak Scott-Thoennes wrote:
>
>> So do it once that way to get the installed packages and then run it
>> again
>> to get the uninstalled packages.
>>
>> On Thu, Apr 22, 2004 at 05:43:21PM +0200, electa wrote:
>>
>>> it selects only my installed packs,  but not the other. i want all
>>> for my
>>> cygwin-CD!
>>>
>>> "Yitzchak Scott-Thoennes" <sthoenna@efn.org> ha scritto nel messaggio
>>

>>                              ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>> Please feed the spammers my email address; it can only be a drop in the
>> bucket over the 10-30 Mb/day I get now.  :)
>

> Everyone who writes on a mailinglist that will be archived on net in
> very searchable way shouldn't expose real e-mail address.
>
> This is like leaving your door unlocked while leaving your house/apartment.

Err, and do you really think that spam-mail-address gatherers are so
stupid that they can't extract mail from <somename at somewhere dot com>
format..? That's trivial regexp, and so what if there is few bogus
adresses..? They mail to millons of addresses so few boguses that
program extracting addresses might create doesn't matter anyway.

--

Jani Tiainen

* RE: [OT] Email address. Re: i want to re-download all packages... how?
@ 2004-04-23 11:33           ` Dave Korn
From: Dave Korn @ 2004-04-23 11:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
From: electa @ 2004-04-23 13:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

yes, using 2 times the setup works!! Download from internet with Install
then Retrieve.

"Brian Keener" <bkeenerReMoVeAnTiSpAm@thesoftwaresource.com> ha scritto nel
messaggio news:VA.00000f62.00951abe@thesoftwaresource.com...
> Electa wrote:
> > it selects only my installed packs, but not the other. i want all for my
> > cygwin-CD!
> >
> It would appear the easiest way to accomplish this is to select download
from
> internet.  Then when you get to the chooser screen you have two choices
the
> first is to click the view tab until you get to full list and then select
> reinstall or install for each packages - this is sure to get them all.
>
> Second choise is on the category view first click on the rotate icon next
> All Default until it say reinstall.  This will now download all the
packages
> you have installed as you said.  Let these download, then run setup again
and
> this time for the All default icon click until you get to install - this
should
> select all packages you do not have installed and flag the once you have
as
> keep.  You can check these settings each time by rolling through the views
> Full and see what is selected.  Also on this pass though checked the
skipped
> view because I still had 4 or 5 in that view so check them if there are
any.

> Hope this helps.
>
> bk

* Re: i want to re-download all packages... how?
                       ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2004-04-23 14:29     ` Robert Collins
From: Robert Collins @ 2004-04-23 14:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: electa; +Cc: cygwin

On Fri, 2004-04-23 at 01:43, electa wrote:
> it selects only my installed packs,  but not the other. i want all for my
> cygwin-CD!

Run setup twice in download only mode. In the first run, toggle the word
default to the right of all to 'reinstall'. In the second run, choose
'download' in the same place.

Cheers,
Rob

* RE: [OT] Email address. Re: i want to re-download all packages... how?
@ 2004-04-23 11:58 Hughes, Bill
>   There's a broad concensus among the spamfighting community
> that there
> isn't actually any email-address-snarfing software out there
> that actually
> does bother to attempt to demunge addresses.  When non-munged
> addresses are
> out there to be spidered off the web and hoovered up from
> usenet by their
> tens of millions, why bother going to the effort of writing
> extra code, when
> the spammers can already get more addresses than they know
> what to do with
> anyway?
I'd concur, until everyone mungs their address (I can't at work) there's
little incentive for the spammers to bother. It's an interesting point to
consider - why would a spammer _want_ to decode a munged email as this
clearly shows that the addressee doesn't want spam and the only likely
response is going to be Spamcop et al? Of course that pre-supposes any
intelligence on the part of spammers which is even more debateable.

>   Seriously, it really seems to be the case that it just
> doesn't happen to
> any significant extent.
Yet, but I hope I'm wrong.

>   Talk to n.a.n.a.e for more information.
YJM!
There my be people of tender years on this list who shouldn't be exposed to
nanae, of course nanau is arguably worse. Hmm, I'm going to check for
a.f.cygwin when I get home (or a.f.$DEVNAME...)

Some people may think cgf is a bit tetchy sometimes (normally with good
reason) but they obviously haven't spent much time on usenet.
My favourite is sci.physics.relativity for truly staggering levels of wilful
ignorance and perversity.

Thanks Dave, you brought back some happy memories :-)

Bill

--

This e-mail transmission is strictly confidential and intended solely
for the person or organisation to whom it is addressed. It may contain

The views expressed in this email are not that of the company unless
specified within the message.

The inclusion of this footnote indicates that the mail message and any
attachments have been checked for the presence of known viruses.

If you have any comments regarding our policy please direct them to
postmaster@cox.co.uk