* -mno-cygwin question
@ 2000-10-03  7:26 Tilman Utz
From: Tilman Utz @ 2000-10-03  7:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin Mailing

Hi all,
I've got a question concerning the mno-cygwin Flag.
What I wanted to do:
I have to write a program for win32 which relies on libraries written
for gcc (these libraries contain some functions which can only be
understood by gcc). I finally got the libs working, what I'd like to
know now is, whether it would be possible to write programs not needing
the cygwin dll. The mno-cygwin Flag I already tried out, but after
reading Mumit Khan's HowTo it didn't work (maybe I didn't understand him
properly, I'm a newbie on this issue).
So is it possible at all to link programs relying on libs as I described
in a way, the .exe doesn't need the cygwin dll and if the information I
gave is not enough, what else do you need?

Thanks in advance
Tilman

* Re: -mno-cygwin question
@ 2000-10-03 15:14 ` Paul Garceau
From: Paul Garceau @ 2000-10-03 15:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin Mailing, mingw-users

Cross posted to Mingw users mailing list.

On 3 Oct 2000, at 16:26, the Illustrious Tilman Utz wrote:

> Hi all,
> I've got a question concerning the mno-cygwin Flag.
> What I wanted to do:
> I have to write a program for win32 which relies on libraries
> written for gcc (these libraries contain some functions which can
> only be understood by gcc). I finally got the libs working, what
> I'd like to know now is, whether it would be possible to write
> programs not needing the cygwin dll. The mno-cygwin Flag I
> already tried out, but after reading Mumit Khan's HowTo it didn't
> work (maybe I didn't understand him properly, I'm a newbie on
> this issue).

	I'm afraid we need more info.  -mno-cygwin, afaik, is supposed
to eliminate dependency on cygwin.dll.  It was designed that
way.

	In terms of "Mumit Khans HowTo", there is not enough
information to give an accurate reply.

	In terms of writing programs which do not need the cygwin.dll,
that is what mingw is all about.

	Again, more information is needed.

	Thanks,

		Paul G.

>So is it possible at all to link programs relying on
> libs as I described in a way, the .exe doesn't need the cygwin
> dll and if the information I gave is not enough, what else do you
> need?
>
> Thanks in advance
> Tilman
>
> --

Nothing real can be threatened.
    Nothing unreal exists.

* Re: -mno-cygwin question
@ 2000-10-03 17:12   ` Tilman Utz
From: Tilman Utz @ 2000-10-03 17:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Garceau; +Cc: cygwin Mailing, mingw-users

Trying to give more information.
You wrote:"In terms of writing programs which do not need the cygwin.dll,
that is what mingw is all about."
My problem about this was: Of the library I need I just had the headers,
some .cpp and a configure script, which created the makefiles (The name of
the library is GiNaC, a lib for symbolic computation, see  www.ginac.de
for more information and if this is of any interest). As I somewhere read
that "porting ``Unix-type'' code is not necessarily trivial." I decided to
stick to cygwin 'cause it provided the POSIX functionality. I hoped the
-mno-cygwin flag would allow to build cygwin.dll independent executables
(The institute I work for just uses WinNT...). Unfortunately I didn't read
or understand the HowTo I wrote of in my last mail (
http://www.xraylith.wisc.edu/~khan/software/gnu-win32/mno-cygwin-howto.txt
).
The author describes that one needs the mingw headers and libs to use the
-mno-cygwin and, well, it seems, I don't have these because I built the
library with the cygwin gcc. Unfortunately no workaround was given in the
HowTo so does anyone else have an idea how to make it work anyway.
eg would it be worth trying to build the whole library with the flag, or
should I better switch to Mingw32 (If yes has anybody information about
porting from POSIX to winpaths etc) or UWIN.

Hoping this gave more of the information you needed
T. Utz

 Paul Garceau schrieb:

> Cross posted to Mingw users mailing list.
>
> On 3 Oct 2000, at 16:26, the Illustrious Tilman Utz wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> > I've got a question concerning the mno-cygwin Flag.
> > What I wanted to do:
> > I have to write a program for win32 which relies on libraries
> > written for gcc (these libraries contain some functions which can
> > only be understood by gcc). I finally got the libs working, what
> > I'd like to know now is, whether it would be possible to write
> > programs not needing the cygwin dll. The mno-cygwin Flag I
> > already tried out, but after reading Mumit Khan's HowTo it didn't
> > work (maybe I didn't understand him properly, I'm a newbie on
> > this issue).
>
>         I'm afraid we need more info.  -mno-cygwin, afaik, is supposed
> to eliminate dependency on cygwin.dll.  It was designed that
> way.
>
>         In terms of "Mumit Khans HowTo", there is not enough
> information to give an accurate reply.
>
>         In terms of writing programs which do not need the cygwin.dll,
> that is what mingw is all about.
>
>         Again, more information is needed.
>
>         Thanks,
>
>                 Paul G.
>
> >So is it possible at all to link programs relying on
> > libs as I described in a way, the .exe doesn't need the cygwin
> > dll and if the information I gave is not enough, what else do you
> > need?
> >
> > Thanks in advance
> > Tilman

* Re: -mno-cygwin question
@ 2000-10-04  7:06 ` Tom Hutto
From: Tom Hutto @ 2000-10-04  7:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tilman.utz, cygwin Mailing

Take a look at http://www.delorie.com/djgpp/

| I've got a question concerning the mno-cygwin Flag.
| What I wanted to do:
| I have to write a program for win32 which relies on libraries written
| for gcc (these libraries contain some functions which can only be
| understood by gcc). I finally got the libs working, what I'd like to
| know now is, whether it would be possible to write programs not
needing
| the cygwin dll. The mno-cygwin Flag I already tried out, but after
| reading Mumit Khan's HowTo it didn't work (maybe I didn't understand
him
| properly, I'm a newbie on this issue).
| So is it possible at all to link programs relying on libs as I
described
| in a way, the .exe doesn't need the cygwin dll and if the information
| gave is not enough, what else do you need?
|
| Thanks in advance
| Tilman
|
| --

* Re: -mno-cygwin question
@ 2000-10-04 15:47   ` Paul Garceau
From: Paul Garceau @ 2000-10-04 15:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 4 Oct 2000, at 9:06, the Illustrious Tom Hutto wrote:

> Take a look at http://www.delorie.com/djgpp/

	See http://www.mingw.org .

	Mingw has no reliance/dependency on cygwin.dll.

	Peace,

		Paul G.

Nothing real can be threatened.
    Nothing unreal exists.

* -mno-cygwin Question
@ 2007-03-20 11:39 Hugh McMaster
From: Hugh McMaster @ 2007-03-20 11:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cygwin Lists

Hi all,

I know some weeks back now, that there was a lot of discussion over
the possible removal of the -mno-cygwin flag.  Could someone please
inform me as to whether the removal of this flag will be taking place
(or has)?

Thankyou.

Hugh

* Re: -mno-cygwin question
@ 2000-10-05 14:05 ` Andreas Eibach
From: Andreas Eibach @ 2000-10-05 14:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Earnie Boyd; +Cc: cygwin

> Well if there wasn't a reason to have Cygwin then that wouldn't have been
> invented either.  You've taken my question out of context, read the rest
of the
> thread.  The poster is trying to use -mno-cygwin when s/he needs Cygwin or
i.e.
> POSIX.

Alright :)
Well I really was thinking for a moment you meant it like "Do you think
non-Cygwin
exec's are necessary at all"? This made me a little curious. :)

Sorry for the noise,
 Andreas

* Re: -mno-cygwin question
@ 2000-10-05 13:44 Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 2000-10-05 13:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Eibach; +Cc: cygwin Mailing

--- Andreas Eibach <a.eibach@gmx.net> wrote:
> > What is the reason for Non-Cygwin executables.
>
> If there wasn't a reason, -mno-cygwin wouldn't have invented.
> Think logically. :)
>
> (Or what other meaning did this statement intend to have?)

Well if there wasn't a reason to have Cygwin then that wouldn't have been
invented either.  You've taken my question out of context, read the rest of the
thread.  The poster is trying to use -mno-cygwin when s/he needs Cygwin or i.e.
POSIX.

Cheers,

=====
Earnie Boyd
mailto:earnie_boyd@yahoo.com

---         < http://earniesystems.safeshopper.com >         ---
--- Cygwin: POSIX on Windows < http://gw32.freeyellow.com/ > ---
---   Minimalist GNU for Windows < http://www.mingw.org/ >   ---

* Re: -mno-cygwin question
@ 2000-10-05 13:15 ` Andreas Eibach
From: Andreas Eibach @ 2000-10-05 13:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Earnie Boyd; +Cc: cygwin Mailing

@ 2000-10-05 13:08   ` Chris Faylor
From: Chris Faylor @ 2000-10-05 13:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin Mailing

On Thu, Oct 05, 2000 at 09:54:20PM +0200, Tilman Utz wrote:
>Hi,
>thanks for the PW32 hint, looks quite good.
>Anyway, I made another attempt with the -mno-cygwin flag, I tried to compile the
>whole library wirh the flag (ok,ok, I should have done this earlier, my fault)
>first of all (as described in the HowTo I wrote of):
>export CPPFLAGS="-I/usr/local/mingw/include -mno-cygwin"
>export CXXFLAGS="-I/usr/local/mingw/include -mno-cygwin"
>export LDFLAGS="-L/usr/local/mingw/include -mno-cygwin"
>then ./configure, went ok
>then make
>after a while of compiling without problems, I got the following error
>c++ -I/usr/local/mingw/include -mno-cygwin -I/usr/local/mingw/include -mno-cygwi
>n -I../include -I../include -I../include -I../include -I./base -I../include -I..
>/include -I./base -Ibase -c ./base/random/cl_random_from.cc
>./base/random/cl_random_from.cc: In method `cl_random_state::cl_random_state()':
>./base/random/cl_random_from.cc:84: implicit declaration of function `int getpid
>(...)'
>which I'm not 'used' to (I used to encounter undefined reference errors in the
>past...)
>Without the above compilerflags, i.e. without -mno-cygwin I don't get any errors,
>are there any ideas why?

Because the mingw header files don't define getpid()?

There is a mailing list for mingw (what you get when you use -mno-cygwin).  You
would probably be better served by asking your mingw questions there.  If you
go to the mingw home page at http://www.mingw.org/ you should be able to find it.

cgf

* Re: -mno-cygwin question
@ 2000-10-05 13:05   ` Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)
From: Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) @ 2000-10-05 13:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tilman.utz; +Cc: cygwin Mailing, mingw-users

At 03:54 PM 10/5/2000, Tilman Utz wrote:
>Hi,
>thanks for the PW32 hint, looks quite good.
>Anyway, I made another attempt with the -mno-cygwin flag, I tried to compile the
>whole library wirh the flag (ok,ok, I should have done this earlier, my fault)
>first of all (as described in the HowTo I wrote of):
>export CPPFLAGS="-I/usr/local/mingw/include -mno-cygwin"
>export CXXFLAGS="-I/usr/local/mingw/include -mno-cygwin"
>export LDFLAGS="-L/usr/local/mingw/include -mno-cygwin"
>then ./configure, went ok
>then make
>after a while of compiling without problems, I got the following error
>c++ -I/usr/local/mingw/include -mno-cygwin -I/usr/local/mingw/include -mno-cygwi
>n -I../include -I../include -I../include -I../include -I./base -I../include -I..
>/include -I./base -Ibase -c ./base/random/cl_random_from.cc
>./base/random/cl_random_from.cc: In method `cl_random_state::cl_random_state()':
>./base/random/cl_random_from.cc:84: implicit declaration of function `int getpid
>(...)'
>which I'm not 'used' to (I used to encounter undefined reference errors in the
>past...)
>Without the above compilerflags, i.e. without -mno-cygwin I don't get any errors,
>are there any ideas why?

You're not including the declaration of getpid().

* Re: -mno-cygwin question
@ 2000-10-05 13:01 ` Tilman Utz
From: Tilman Utz @ 2000-10-05 13:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Earnie Boyd; +Cc: cygwin Mailing, mingw-users