* -11: Problem at 1st start when "cygwin.bat" is run by Nullsoft-Installer
@ 2008-04-10  8:25 Christoph Herdeg
From: Christoph Herdeg @ 2008-04-10  8:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hello List,

We have made up an unattended installer package for cygwin using Nullsoft
Installer. This package works on all x32 and x64 versions of Windows 2000,
XP and Server 2003. Testing with Windows Server 2008 we discovered a
problem: At the end of the installation, cygwin.bat is executed by the
Nullsoft Installer. Normally bash should open and all shellscripts residing
in /etc/profile.d should be run automagically (the script /etc/profile
collects and runs them). In our case it doesn't - at least on 1st start -
instead the following error message is displayed:

"bash: cannot create temp file for here document: Bad address"

Then bash jumps to the standard prompt. If we now start cygwin a 2nd time
by executing cygwin.bat (directly or via the desktop icon), the scripts in
/etc/profile.d are run as they are proposed to. Also they are run normally,
if the Nullsoft Installer exits before starting cygwin.bat and we start the
batch manually (directly or via the desktop icon).

Upgrading the package "base-files-3.7-1.tar.bz2" to unpack a modified
/etc/profile resulted that the $TMP and $TEMP variables seem to be
correctly set to "/cygdrive/c/Users/ADMINI~1/AppData/Local/Temp". Setting
an FullAccess-ACL for the Windows user "everyone" on this directory didn't
change the behaviour. Using "set -x" in the modified /etc/profile did not
produce any other errors.

- Is it possible that Cygwin's mapping of
"c:\Users\ADMINI~1/AppData/Local/Temp" to
"/cygdrive/c/Users/ADMINI~1/AppData/Local/Temp" doesn't yet exist at the
time the error occurs?
- Are there any known changes between the previous Windows versions and
Windows Server 2008 being able to cause a different behaviour when "a
program is started manually" vs. "a program is started by another program";
eg. different User / security / environmental context?
- Would it be possible for the Cygwin developers to implement the usage of
a /tmp independet from it's windows pendant to cure this?
- Are there any other steps I could try or does anyone of you perhaps have
a solution?

We are using Cygwin on over 1200 machines. It maybe well a workaround to
let the Nullsoft Installer exit without executing cygwin.bat and doing this
manually, but that is -surely comprehensible- no way for us.

Thank you very much,

Regards,

Chris

* Re: -11: Problem at 1st start when "cygwin.bat" is run by  Nullsoft-Installer
@ 2008-04-10  9:38 ` Corinna Vinschen
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2008-04-10  9:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Apr 10 09:48, Christoph Herdeg wrote:
> Hello List,
>
> We have made up an unattended installer package for cygwin using Nullsoft
> Installer. This package works on all x32 and x64 versions of Windows 2000,
> XP and Server 2003. Testing with Windows Server 2008 we discovered a
> problem: At the end of the installation, cygwin.bat is executed by the
> Nullsoft Installer. Normally bash should open and all shellscripts residing
> in /etc/profile.d should be run automagically (the script /etc/profile
> collects and runs them). In our case it doesn't - at least on 1st start -
> instead the following error message is displayed:
>
> "bash: cannot create temp file for here document: Bad address"
>
> Then bash jumps to the standard prompt. If we now start cygwin a 2nd time
> by executing cygwin.bat (directly or via the desktop icon), the scripts in
> /etc/profile.d are run as they are proposed to. Also they are run normally,
> if the Nullsoft Installer exits before starting cygwin.bat and we start the
> batch manually (directly or via the desktop icon).
>
> Upgrading the package "base-files-3.7-1.tar.bz2" to unpack a modified
> /etc/profile resulted that the $TMP and $TEMP variables seem to be
> correctly set to "/cygdrive/c/Users/ADMINI~1/AppData/Local/Temp". Setting
> an FullAccess-ACL for the Windows user "everyone" on this directory didn't
> change the behaviour. Using "set -x" in the modified /etc/profile did not
> produce any other errors.
>
> - Is it possible that Cygwin's mapping of
> "c:\Users\ADMINI~1/AppData/Local/Temp" to
> "/cygdrive/c/Users/ADMINI~1/AppData/Local/Temp" doesn't yet exist at the
> time the error occurs?

No.  The environment is converted before the shell is doing something
on its own accord.

Is it possible that the cygdrive prefix doesn't exist when cygwin.bat is
called the first time?  So far the installer is responsible for creating
the mount points and the cygdrive prefix in the registry.  And after that,
before calling cygwin.bat, the installer should run the postinstall scripts
in /etc/postinstall.

> - Are there any known changes between the previous Windows versions and
> Windows Server 2008 being able to cause a different behaviour when "a
> program is started manually" vs. "a program is started by another program";
> eg. different User / security / environmental context?

Not that I'm aware of.  What Cygwin version are you using?  Anything
before 1.5.25-11 is a bad idea to use on Windows 2008.

> - Would it be possible for the Cygwin developers to implement the usage of
> a /tmp independet from it's windows pendant to cure this?

The usage of $TEMP/$TMP/$TMPDIR has nothing to do with Cygwin.  The
Cygwin DLL itself has no need for a tmp dir.  The reason it's used is
that bash honors (at least) $TMPDIR.  One workaround would be to delete
these environment variables before bash is called.  But, of course, this
doesn't help to track down the actual cause of the problem.

> - Are there any other steps I could try or does anyone of you perhaps have
> a solution?

I have no idea what's causing your problem.  I assume you will have to
debug it, using GDB, strace or sysinternal's tools.  The above error
message does not tell us anything useful, except that an invalid address
has been used *somewhere*.  Some debugging effort would be required
here, sorry.

Corinna

Red Hat

* Re: -11: Problem at 1st start when "cygwin.bat" is run by   Nullsoft-Installer
@ 2008-04-10 10:51   ` Christoph Herdeg
From: Christoph Herdeg @ 2008-04-10 10:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hello List,

Corinna, thank you for your answer so far. Regarding your hints:
- The cygwin installer runs normally and creates registry entries as well
runs the postinstall scripts
- As you can see in the subject line, we currently use version -11 aka
1.5.25-11
- I will try to workaround our problem by deleting the listed env.
variables and report back
- "Debugging" won't be possible for me; my software development knowledge
ends with shellscript. But if you exactly tell me what to do, I'll give it
a try and supply you with the resulting information.

Regards,

Chris

             Corinna Vinschen
             <corinna-cygwin@c
             ygwin.com>                                                 To
             Sent by:                  cygwin@cygwin.com
             cygwin-owner@cygw                                          cc
             in.com
                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: -11: Problem at 1st start when
             10.04.2008 10:59          "cygwin.bat" is run by
                                       Nullsoft-Installer

             Please respond to
             cygwin@cygwin.com

@ 2008-04-10 11:05   ` Christoph Herdeg
From: Christoph Herdeg @ 2008-04-10 11:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Adding the following lines to /etc/profile to delet the variables didn't
help anything:

TMP=
TEMP=
TMPDIR=

The same error occured a the same place, so it's neither a solution nor
even a workaround for our problem.

Christoph

             Corinna Vinschen
             <corinna-cygwin@c
             ygwin.com>                                                 To
             Sent by:                  cygwin@cygwin.com
             cygwin-owner@cygw                                          cc
             in.com
                                                                   Subject

@ 2008-04-10 15:00     ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2008-04-10 15:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Apr 10 12:50, Christoph Herdeg wrote:
> Adding the following lines to /etc/profile to delet the variables didn't
> help anything:
>
> TMP=
> TEMP=
> TMPDIR=

  man bash

The above doesn't remove the variables.  Use unset.

> The same error occured a the same place, so it's neither a solution nor
> even a workaround for our problem.

You should try to remove the variables *before* calling bash.
/etc/profile is used by bash so it's already too late.

Corinna

Red Hat

* Re: -11: Problem at 1st start when "cygwin.bat" is run by  Nullsoft-Installer
@ 2008-04-10 17:04   ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2008-04-10 17:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 10:59:06AM +0200, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>On Apr 10 09:48, Christoph Herdeg wrote:
>> - Is it possible that Cygwin's mapping of
>> "c:\Users\ADMINI~1/AppData/Local/Temp" to
>> "/cygdrive/c/Users/ADMINI~1/AppData/Local/Temp" doesn't yet exist at the
>> time the error occurs?
>
>No.  The environment is converted before the shell is doing something
>on its own accord.
>
>Is it possible that the cygdrive prefix doesn't exist when cygwin.bat is
>called the first time?  So far the installer is responsible for creating
>the mount points and the cygdrive prefix in the registry.  And after that,
>before calling cygwin.bat, the installer should run the postinstall scripts
>in /etc/postinstall.

The cygdrive prefix shouldn't have to live in the registry.  It should be
defaulted by the cygwin DLL, i.e., '/cygdrive/c' should be usable without
ever running setup.exe.

>>- Would it be possible for the Cygwin developers to implement the usage
>>of a /tmp independet from it's windows pendant to cure this?
>
>The usage of $TEMP/$TMP/$TMPDIR has nothing to do with Cygwin.  The
>Cygwin DLL itself has no need for a tmp dir.  The reason it's used is
>that bash honors (at least) $TMPDIR.  One workaround would be to delete
>these environment variables before bash is called.  But, of course,
>this doesn't help to track down the actual cause of the problem.

And, even if that was not the case, this is free software.  If you want
something done, you can do it yourself.  A point that seems to be
sometimes lost in this mailing list is that it is primarily devoted to
the discussion of the cygwin distribution, and the people working on the
cygwin DLL are also primarily devoted to that goal.  Asking for people
to do work for you which will accommodate needs which fall outside of
the Cygwin distribution seems to be missing that point.

It's nice that people have found other uses for cygwin1.dll and the packages
which go into the distribution found at http://cygwin.com/  but I think
it is unrealistic to expect that people here will be cheerfully willing
to do extra work to make it easy for other uses of cygwin.  Again, maybe
if this wasn't free software there would be more of a need to have other
people help you but that isn't the case here.

I know this isn't really helping your issue but this is at least the
second time in a month that someone has suggested that cygwin developers
might need to do something or are being unreasonable in not doing
something that would meet requirements that were outside of the
cygwin.com distribution so I thought it was time for a little bit of a
rant.

cgf

* Re: -11: Problem at 1st start when "cygwin.bat" is run by   Nullsoft-Installer
@ 2008-04-11  8:22     ` Christoph Herdeg
From: Christoph Herdeg @ 2008-04-11  8:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

blub. blub. blubber.

Hey, Christopher: I'm very sorry for apparently having risen your most
honest anger. I will frefrain from asking questions in the future. Or maybe
better you simply shouldn't read mine? If you just don't want to help...why
meddle into my thread?

My question whether it would be possible to implement xyz could have been
answered by a simple "No" or "Maybe later". Thanks for you wasting your
quite valuable lifetime to write such a novel to express your personal
opinion.

And...while already bein on rant: Hey Corinna, instead of writing "use
unset" and "man bash"...wouldn't it have been easier to have written "unset
-fv TMP" in the first time?

The very best Regards to the both of you,

Chris

             Christopher
             Faylor
             <cgf-use-the-mail                                          To
             inglist-please@cy         cygwin@cygwin.com
             gwin.com>                                                  cc
             Sent by:
             cygwin-owner@cygw                                     Subject
             in.com                    Re: -11: Problem at 1st start when
                                       "cygwin.bat" is run by
                                       Nullsoft-Installer
             10.04.2008 18:12

             Please respond to
             cygwin@cygwin.com

@ 2008-04-11  8:54       ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2008-04-11  8:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christoph Herdeg; +Cc: cygwin

On Apr 11 10:10, Christoph Herdeg wrote:
> And...while already bein on rant: Hey Corinna, instead of writing "use
> unset" and "man bash"...wouldn't it have been easier to have written "unset
> -fv TMP" in the first time?

You said you know how to write shell scripts.  And then again, I said
that it's too late to do it in bash.  You have to do it before calling
bash.  Calling unset in /etc/profile does not help.  What was wrong
with that?

Corinna

Red Hat

* Re: -11: Problem at 1st start when "cygwin.bat" is run by  Nullsoft-Installer
@ 2008-04-11  9:05         ` Christoph Herdeg
From: Christoph Herdeg @ 2008-04-11  9:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

A tip _when_ to do it would be great. I can well write shellscripts for my
own simple purposes, but I am definiteley no Guru.

Christoph

             Corinna Vinschen
             <corinna-cygwin@c
             ygwin.com>                                                 To
                                       Christoph
             11.04.2008 10:50          Herdeg/Germany/Contr/IBM@IBMDE
                                                                        cc
                                       cygwin@cygwin.com
             cygwin@cygwin.com         Re: -11: Problem at 1st start when
                                       "cygwin.bat" is run by
                                       Nullsoft-Installer

@ 2008-04-11  9:31           ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2008-04-11  9:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Apr 11 10:53, Christoph Herdeg wrote:
> A tip _when_ to do it would be great. I can well write shellscripts for my
> own simple purposes, but I am definiteley no Guru.

*Before* calling bash.  I don't know what your installer is doing and
how and where it calls bash, but the environment should be cleared of
these vars before bash is called.  If a batch file is involved, do it
in the batch file, if no batch file is involved, the installer must
do it using Win32 calls like SetEnvironmentVariable.

Corinna

Red Hat

* Re: -11: Problem at 1st start when "cygwin.bat" is run by   Nullsoft-Installer
@ 2008-04-11 14:46         ` Christoph Herdeg
From: Christoph Herdeg @ 2008-04-11 14:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

btw.:

your proposal to delete the variables in the batch that does start cygwin
for the 1st time doesn't work. The variables are deleted before bash starts
(echo $tmp is...nothing but this doesn't change anything; the same error
occurs at the same place.

Would it be feasible to hardcode the relevant scripts into /etc/profile?

BTW, if it is to late to delete the variables from /etc/profile...why do
you ever bring up "unset"? "unset" is a Unix command and not available on
Windows, as you know. That is exactly the point I am a little disturbed by
- on the one side you don't really want to help "intensivly", but on the
other side you provide me with irrelevant information that makes this
thread unneccessarily longer than it had become if you had really wanted to
help me in the 1st time.

I wish you a nice and refreshing weekend never the less,

Regards

Christoph

             Corinna Vinschen
             <corinna-cygwin@c
             ygwin.com>                                                 To
             Sent by:                  Christoph
             cygwin-owner@cygw         Herdeg/Germany/Contr/IBM@IBMDE
             in.com                                                     cc
                                       cygwin@cygwin.com
                                                                   Subject
             11.04.2008 10:50          Re: -11: Problem at 1st start when
                                       "cygwin.bat" is run by
                                       Nullsoft-Installer
             Please respond to
             cygwin@cygwin.com

@ 2008-04-11 14:58             ` Christoph Herdeg
From: Christoph Herdeg @ 2008-04-11 14:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Okay. But the information I gave included about 10 times the fact that the
Nullsoft Installer we use calls the standard cygwin.bat as penultimate step
(before at last cleaning up).

Christoph

             Corinna Vinschen
             <corinna-cygwin@c
             ygwin.com>                                                 To
             Sent by:                  cygwin@cygwin.com
             cygwin-owner@cygw                                          cc
             in.com
                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: -11: Problem at 1st start when
             11.04.2008 11:05          "cygwin.bat" is run by
                                       Nullsoft-Installer

             Please respond to
             cygwin@cygwin.com

@ 2008-04-11 15:00           ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2008-04-11 15:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Apr 11 16:45, Christoph Herdeg wrote:
> btw.:
>
> your proposal to delete the variables in the batch that does start cygwin
> for the 1st time doesn't work. The variables are deleted before bash starts
> (echo $tmp is...nothing but this doesn't change anything; the same error
> occurs at the same place.
>
> Would it be feasible to hardcode the relevant scripts into /etc/profile?

Maybe.  I can't tell since I don't know what's the exact problem is.
But you can always simply try.

> BTW, if it is to late to delete the variables from /etc/profile...why do
> you ever bring up "unset"? "unset" is a Unix command and not available on
> Windows, as you know. That is exactly the point I am a little disturbed by
> - on the one side you don't really want to help "intensivly", but on the
> other side you provide me with irrelevant information that makes this
> thread unneccessarily longer than it had become if you had really wanted to
> help me in the 1st time.

Did I ever tell you in this thread I don't want to help you?

And, just for the records, I didn't bring up unset, you did it.

@ 2008-04-11 15:03               ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2008-04-11 15:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Apr 11 16:45, Christoph Herdeg wrote:
> Okay. But the information I gave included about 10 times the fact that the
> Nullsoft Installer we use calls the standard cygwin.bat as penultimate step
> (before at last cleaning up).

I'm sorry that I didn't remember every detail you wrote in your OP.

Corinna

Red Hat

* Re: -11: Problem at 1st start when "cygwin.bat" is run by Nullsoft-Installer
@ 2008-04-11 15:07               ` Mark J. Reed
From: Mark J. Reed @ 2008-04-11 15:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Christoph: Corrina has been nothing but polite and helpful.  Please
don't let Christopher's somewhat hostile response color your
interpretation of others'.  Your attitude in the last few messages has
been unhelpful, to say the least, and might wind up keeping anyone
from helping you further.

I don't think it's unreasonable, when someone has said that they can
write shellscripts, to assume that they know what "unset" means.

* Re: -11: Problem at 1st start when "cygwin.bat" is run by  Nullsoft-Installer
@ 2008-04-11 15:48       ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2008-04-11 15:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Fri, Apr 11, 2008 at 10:10:06AM +0200, Christoph Herdeg wrote:
>blub. blub. blubber.
>
>Hey, Christopher: I'm very sorry for apparently having risen your most
>honest anger. I will frefrain from asking questions in the future. Or maybe
>better you simply shouldn't read mine? If you just don't want to help...why
>meddle into my thread?

You're using the mailing list which I am responsible for to ask for help
for something that is outside of the focus of the mailing list and are
skirting on the edge of being off-topic.

And, your subsequent messages in this thread have confirmed my fear that
this is going to degenerate into even more thrashing around trying to
get something working that has nothing to do with the cygwin
distribution.

cgf

* Re: -11: Problem at 1st start when "cygwin.bat" is run by  Nullsoft-Installer (SOLVED)
@ 2008-04-15 19:01 ` Christoph Herdeg
From: Christoph Herdeg @ 2008-04-15 19:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hello List,

thank you very much for the great efforts you took on to help me solve our
problem ( see the OP below). Finally we managed not to solve the problem
itself but at least to find a workaround. Still we are not able to
identifiy the one of the tree possible parties responsible for the problem:
Nullsoft, Microsoft or Cygwin?

However: If, which I am sure of, anybody else in this world uses the
Nullsoft-Installer to deploy an unattended Cygwin-Installation to
his/her/its client machines, the person will, at latest when it comes to
package-compatibility with VistaSP1 or Windows Server 2008, experience the
same problem as we did. So I would like to document my workaround here:

When Cygwin's "setup.exe" is finished, it has installed a script
"/etc/profile". Among others, one of the duties of this script is to find
and run all scripts residing in "/etc/profile.d". This definitley does not
work on VistaSP1 or Windows Server 2008...no matter who's to blame...bash
reports the error: "bash: cannot create temp file for here document: Bad
address" and none of the scripts in "/etc/profile" is run. The code in
"/etc/profile" responsible for this is:

      # Run all of the profile.d scripts
      # Note that these are supplied by separate packages
      # Ascending alphanumerical order enforced
      if [ -d "/etc/profile.d" ]; then
            while read f; do
                  if [ -f "${f}" ]; then
                        . "${f}"
                  fi
            done <<- EOF
            `/bin/find -L /etc/profile.d -type f -iname '*.sh' -or -iname
'*.zsh' | LC_ALL=C sort`
            EOF
      fi

Due to the fact that non of the solutions provided by this phantastic
community did work at least a little, we decided to workaround the problem
(we don't need to run _all_ scripts in "/etc/profile.d" - in our customized
configuration there never will be more than three...the code of "00bash.sh"
and "openssl.sh" was directly) by hardcoding them to a customized
"/etc/profile":

      # Code from "00bash.sh"
      /bin/test \! /bin/sh.exe -ot /bin/bash.exe
      if ( $status ) then
            /bin/bash.exe -c '. /etc/profile.d/00bash.sh'
      fi
      # Code from "openssl.sh"
      export MANPATH="${MANPATH}:/usr/ssl/man"
      # Run our script
      if [ -e /etc/profile.d/ibm_customize_cygwin.sh ]; then
            /etc/profile.d/./ibm_customize_cygwin.sh
      fi;

This may not be elegant but at least works as planned. When Cygwin's
"setup.exe" has finished, the Nullsoft-Installer copies and overwrites the
original "/etc/profile" with our customized version which is then run every
time Cygwin is started by "cygwin.bat".

Regards,

Christoph

             Christoph
             Herdeg/Germany/Co
             ntr/IBM@IBMDE                                              To
             Sent by:                  cygwin@cygwin.com
             cygwin-owner@cygw                                          cc
             in.com
                                                                   Subject
                                       -11: Problem at 1st start when
             10.04.2008 09:48          "cygwin.bat" is run by
                                       Nullsoft-Installer

@ 2008-04-11 16:05   ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2008-04-11 16:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Apr 11 11:48, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> Also, Red Hat has their own supported distribution so I wouldn't assume
> that they would be thrilled to make changes in the cygwin net disro to
> accommodate someone else's attempts to install packages.

Hmm, you know how it is with money...

Corinna

Red Hat

* Re: -11: Problem at 1st start when "cygwin.bat" is run by  Nullsoft-Installer
@ 2008-04-11 15:59 ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2008-04-11 15:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 12:58:14PM -0700, Matt Seitz (matseitz) wrote:
>in message news:<20080410161248.GB9302@ednor.casa.cgf.cx>...
>>It's nice that people have found other uses for cygwin1.dll and the
>>packages which go into the distribution found at http://cygwin.com/ but
>>I think it is unrealistic to expect that people here will be cheerfully
>>willing to do extra work to make it easy for other uses of cygwin.
>
>Would it be appropriate to refer such people to:
>
>http://www.redhat.com/software/cygwin/

Personally, I prefer to just think of this project as a free software
project.  It's always possible to find people who are willing to do
programming for $$$ (and I am definitely not volunteering for this) so
that should be a given.

@ 2008-04-10 20:27 Matt Seitz (matseitz)
From: Matt Seitz (matseitz) @ 2008-04-10 20:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin