* Command boxes popping up
@ 2004-12-13 14:23 jurgen.defurne
From: jurgen.defurne @ 2004-12-13 14:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hello, everybody,

Since I switched from Cygwin 1.5.3 to Cygwin 1.5.11, I keep
getting annoying DOS boxes when starting a non-cygwin
process inside a cygwin process.

Is this a feature (bug) of 1.5.11, so I should upgrade, or
is this the result of a setting ? Upgrading is not that easy
because we share cygwin from a central drive.

I've found other people having the same problem in the
past, but I did not find any answers.

Regards,

Jurgen

* RE: Command boxes popping up
@ 2004-12-13 14:46 ` Dave Korn
From: Dave Korn @ 2004-12-13 14:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
From: jurgen.defurne @ 2004-12-13 15:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi Dave,

No, I have no problems with graphical applications.

My scripts run a variety of commands, mostly cygwin,
but some applications run in a DOS shell.

To elaborate, I run bash, and inside this shell I start ActiveState Perl,
which of course knows nothing about Cygwin. The script run by
ActiveState's Perl, then starts system or `` commands, and it is
from there that I get command boxes.

I have run a small test :
$ /cygdrive/c/Perl/bin/perl -e "system \"dir\""

and this pops up a DOS command box while the command
executes.

I did not have that before, and the only thing changed was
the upgrade to Cygwin 1.5.11.

Regards,

Jurgen

"Dave Korn" <dave.korn@artimi.com>
Sent by:
cygwin-owner@cygwin.com

        To:     <cygwin@cygwin.com>
        cc:     (bcc: Jurgen Defurne/BRG/CE/PHILIPS)
        Subject:        RE: Command boxes popping up
        Classification:

@ 2004-12-13 15:57     ` Dave Korn
From: Dave Korn @ 2004-12-13 15:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
> No, I have no problems with graphical applications.

  Cool, it would have _really_ confused me if you did!

> My scripts run a variety of commands, mostly cygwin,
> but some applications run in a DOS shell.
>
> To elaborate, I run bash, and inside this shell I start
> ActiveState Perl,
> which of course knows nothing about Cygwin. The script run by
> ActiveState's Perl, then starts system or `` commands, and it is
> from there that I get command boxes.
>
> I have run a small test :
> $ /cygdrive/c/Perl/bin/perl -e "system \"dir\""
>
> and this pops up a DOS command box while the command
> executes.
>
> I did not have that before, and the only thing changed was
> the upgrade to Cygwin 1.5.11.

  Nonetheless, it would seem that ActiveState Perl is the thing with the bug in
it.  Not being a cygwin program, a change to the cygwin dll could hardly affect
ActiveState Perl's behaviour, could it?

  Well, it shouldn't of course, but I can imagine one way in which it could.

  Bear in mind that running inside the bash shell - unlike if you were to just
try your test from a cmd.exe shell - has one major difference: the $PATH setting
includes the cygwin bin directories at the front.

  Now, given that cygwin includes its own distribution of Perl, which presumably
is also called "perl.exe", we have a potential for clashes here.

  FWIW, running the example that you gave with cygwin perl doesn't produce a DOS
box.  I'm not surprised that AS perl wants to have its system commands run in a
dos box, as that's the only system it knows about.  OTOH I see Jason's post
saying that he can't reproduce your problem.  Therefore I suggest the two of you
compare $PATH settings, in particular which order AS perl and cygwin's bin
directories occur in both your $PATHs, and that may give us some further
clues...

    cheers,
      DaveK

* Re: Command boxes popping up
@ 2004-12-13 20:49     ` Yitzchak Scott-Thoennes
From: Yitzchak Scott-Thoennes @ 2004-12-13 20:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Mon, Dec 13, 2004 at 04:38:50PM +0100, jurgen.defurne wrote:
> I have run a small test :
> $ /cygdrive/c/Perl/bin/perl -e "system \"dir\""
>
> and this pops up a DOS command box while the command
> executes.

Outputs to the bash window for me.  ActivePerl build 810, cygwin 1.5.12,
Windows XP Pro SP1, CYGWIN=tty.

* RE: Command boxes popping up
@ 2004-12-14  8:34       ` jurgen.defurne
From: jurgen.defurne @ 2004-12-14  8:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

"Dave Korn" <dave.korn@artimi.com>

        To:     Jurgen Defurne/BRG/CE/PHILIPS@PHILIPS
<cygwin@cygwin.com>
        cc:
        Classification:

Yes, but how does that explain that I did not have the problems if I ran
the same things when Cygwin 1.5.3 was still installed ?

<<<<###########################################################################

  Well, it shouldn't of course, but I can imagine one way in which it
could.

  Bear in mind that running inside the bash shell - unlike if you were to
just
try your test from a cmd.exe shell - has one major difference: the $PATH
setting
includes the cygwin bin directories at the front.

I will check this PATH setting, although my script fixes up the path
before
starting system calls.

<<<<###########################################################################

  Now, given that cygwin includes its own distribution of Perl, which
presumably
is also called "perl.exe", we have a potential for clashes here.

The subscripts explicit remove any references to any Cygwin environment,
because they know that they clash with each other.

<<<<###########################################################################

@ 2004-12-14  9:10       ` jurgen.defurne
From: jurgen.defurne @ 2004-12-14  9:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Well,

According to this mail and another poster who say that they
do not have a problem, I will first try to find time to upgrade
to Cygwin 1.5.12 and see if the problem persists.

Now, with the end of the year in sight, it could probably
be that this is more a matter for January.

Thanks everybody for replying.

Jurgen

Yitzchak Scott-Thoennes <sthoenna@efn.org>
Sent by:
cygwin-owner@cygwin.com

        To:     cygwin@cygwin.com

@ 2004-12-14 20:23 ` Rui-Tao Dong
From: Rui-Tao Dong @ 2004-12-14 20:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

 jurgen.defurne> Hello, everybody, Since I switched from Cygwin 1.5.3
 jurgen.defurne> to Cygwin 1.5.11, I keep getting annoying DOS boxes
 jurgen.defurne> when starting a non-cygwin process inside a cygwin
 jurgen.defurne> process.

 jurgen.defurne> Is this a feature (bug) of 1.5.11, so I should
 jurgen.defurne> upgrade, or is this the result of a setting ?
 jurgen.defurne> Upgrading is not that easy because we share cygwin
 jurgen.defurne> from a central drive.

 jurgen.defurne> I've found other people having the same problem in
 jurgen.defurne> the past, but I did not find any answers.

I don't know if it is related, but I get cmd box when I call nmake
from (cygwin/X11) XEmacs' compiling mode and I don't get to see that
error message in XEmacs' compiling buffer.  The strange thing is that
it is intermittent.  However, I can consistently kill the cmd box if I
compile with

ssh localhost "cd ${PWD}; nmake -f *.mak"

and get the compiler output in my XEmacs buffer.

--

	Rui-Tao Dong
	(949) 673-1907 x116

ALL INFORMATION IN THIS EMAIL OR ATTACHED TO THIS EMAIL IS CONFIDENTIAL.

* RE: Command boxes popping up
@ 2004-12-14 14:47 Morche Matthias
From: Morche Matthias @ 2004-12-14 14:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

cygwin-owner@cygwin.com wrote:
> Well, not intentionally, anyway, and if I use command
> completion upon 'wp' I do not get 'wperl'.
>
> Btw. my Perl version is v5.8.5 built for cygwin-thread-multi-64int.
>
>> why don't You use the cygwin perl?!
>
> For 95% of my work I use the Cygwin perl, but this is a build
> application that was shoved down our throat here, and Cygwin
> interferes with the used compilers, so all references to
> cygwin in any form or measure, are removed before the build
> process starts. So I use the AS Perl, which is also needed
> by the build process, to control everything in this case.

The version You mentioned is the one from the cygwin, not from activestate
This is the public msi package from activestate version
v5.8.4 built for MSWin32-x86-multi-thread
and it comes with wperl and perl living in the same directory
The facts You told make me believe, that the activestate-perl isn't within
Your path at all, thus "no completion for wp<TAB>" isn't really surprising.

  matthias

* RE: Command boxes popping up
@ 2004-12-14  8:43 ` jurgen.defurne
From: jurgen.defurne @ 2004-12-14  8:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

"Morche Matthias" <Matthias.Morche@P7S1Produktion.de>
Sent by:
cygwin-owner@cygwin.com

        To:     <cygwin@cygwin.com>
        cc:     (bcc: Jurgen Defurne/BRG/CE/PHILIPS)
        Classification:

cygwin-owner@cygwin.com wrote:
>> I have run a small test :
>> $ /cygdrive/c/Perl/bin/perl -e "system \"dir\""
>>
>> and this pops up a DOS command box while the command
>> executes.

>I do get these boxes only if use wperl instead of perl...
>In that case they pop up and vanish immediately.

Yep that is the behavior I get.

>Did You replace perl with a copy of wperl? By the way,

Well, not intentionally, anyway, and if I use command
completion upon 'wp' I do not get 'wperl'.

Btw. my Perl version is v5.8.5 built for cygwin-thread-multi-64int.

>why don't You use the cygwin perl?!

For 95% of my work I use the Cygwin perl, but this is a build
application that was shoved down our throat here, and Cygwin
interferes with the used compilers, so all references to
cygwin in any form or measure, are removed before the build
process starts. So I use the AS Perl, which is also needed
by the build process, to control everything in this case.

>  matthias

* RE: Command boxes popping up
@ 2004-12-13 15:58 Morche Matthias
From: Morche Matthias @ 2004-12-13 15:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2004-12-13 15:48 DePriest, Jason R.
From: DePriest, Jason R. @ 2004-12-13 15:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jurgen.defurne, cygwin

On Monday, December 13, 2004 9:39 AM, [DELETED] wrote

> Hi Dave,
>
> No, I have no problems with graphical applications.
>
> My scripts run a variety of commands, mostly cygwin,
> but some applications run in a DOS shell.
>
> To elaborate, I run bash, and inside this shell I start ActiveState
> Perl, which of course knows nothing about Cygwin. The script run by
> ActiveState's Perl, then starts system or `` commands, and it is
> from there that I get command boxes.
>
> I have run a small test :
> $ /cygdrive/c/Perl/bin/perl -e "system \"dir\""
>
> and this pops up a DOS command box while the command
> executes.
>
> I did not have that before, and the only thing changed was
> the upgrade to Cygwin 1.5.11.
>
> Regards,
>
> Jurgen

I am running Cygwin 1.5.12.

I also have ActiveState Perl installed (5.6.1, build 638).

Running your test script does not produce a pop-up box for me.  It
displays the results in the existing cygwin bash shell.

-Jason

PS - I apologize in advance for the legal disclaimer at the bottom of my
email message.  This is tacked on by our SMTP gateway and I have no
control over it.

Confidentiality notice:
This e-mail message, including any attachments, may contain legally privileged and/or confidential
information. If you are not the intended recipient(s), or the employee or agent responsible for delivery
of this message to the intended recipient(s), you are hereby notified that any dissemination,
distribution, or copying of this e-mail message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message
in error, please immediately notify the sender and delete this e-mail message from your computer.