* Re: mutt and ssmtp on Cygwin on Windows Server 2003 'child exited 127'
@ 2004-05-24 15:14 gert_de_boer
From: gert_de_boer @ 2004-05-24 15:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

The trick worked for CRON. I let the cron service run under the local
administration account with the additional rights as explained in the
openssh.README.

But mutt still does not work. I do not get any clear message in the event
viewer.

Regards,

Gert de Boer

PS How do I get my mails under the tread in the maillist that I am
answering to?

> It all works without any problem on Windows XP and Windows 2000.
>
> So it seems something has changed in Windows 2003: for some reason mutt
> cannot trigger ssmtp to do its job.
>
> Something similar seems to happen between the CYGWIN cron service and the
> scripts it is supposed to start. Nothing happens, but if I look in the
> eventviewer I see the following order of events:

Please read the Windows 2003 Server section of
/usr/share/doc/Cygwin/openssh.README and see if that helps.  I know it
sounds weird, but trust me, it is relevant.

--
Brian Ford
Senior Realtime Software Engineer

* Re: mutt and ssmtp on Cygwin on Windows Server 2003 'child exited 127'
@ 2004-05-26 20:34 ` Brian Ford
From: Brian Ford @ 2004-05-26 20:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gert_de_boer; +Cc: cygwin

On Mon, 24 May 2004, gert_de_boer wrote:

> The trick worked for CRON. I let the cron service run under the local
> administration account with the additional rights as explained in the
> openssh.README.

Glad I could help, at least a little.

> But mutt still does not work. I do not get any clear message in the event
> viewer.

Sorry.  I don't use mutt or ssmtp, so I'm out of ideas.

> Regards,
>
> Gert de Boer
>
> PS How do I get my mails under the tread in the maillist that I am
> answering to?

Get your mailer to add the header:

Normally, this happens automatically when you reply to a message.

--

@ 2004-05-19 15:11 ` Mark Bohlman
From: Mark Bohlman @ 2004-05-19 15:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

gert_de_boer@ch.schindler.com wrote:

> Somehow I do not succeed in configuring mutt or ssmtp with Cygwin on a
> Windows 2003 server.
>
> As an example of what happens:
>
> $ echo hallo | mutt -s new_test myname@mycompany.com
> Error sending message, child exited 127 (Exec error.).
> Could not send the message.
>
> The error is exactly the same as when I have a wrong 'sendmail' defined in
> my .muttrc on a server where cygwin runs without any problem.  However I
> defined it correct:
> set sendmail=/usr/sbin/ssmtp
>
> Executing ssmtp on its own delivers an empty mail at myname@mycompany.com,
> so the error is not there.
>
> It all works without any problem on Windows XP and Windows 2000.
>
> So it seems something has changed in Windows 2003: for some reason mutt
> cannot trigger ssmtp to do its job.
>
> Something similar seems to happen between the CYGWIN cron service and the
> scripts it is supposed to start. Nothing happens, but if I look in the
> eventviewer I see the following order of events:
>
> PID 3188: (myaccount) RELOAD (tabs/myaccount)
>
> PID 3392: (myaccount) CMD (/home/myaccount/bin/test_mail.sh)
>
> PID 3392: (CRON) error (can't switchuser context)
>
> So it is just an idea of mine that somehow (some) programs are not able to
> start others, due to some rigid security settings.
>
> BTW, all the above is done as with a group account with administrator
> rights on the server.
>
> Gert de Boer
>
> gert de boer at ch schindler com
>
> cygcheck.out:
> (See attached file: cygcheck.out):

I had a similar problem on Win2K until I checked the
/etc/ssmtp/ssmtp.conf file and found an improper setting.  Also check
the ~/.muttrc file for correct settings.  Fixing this got rid of the
same error message on my system.  See also /usr/share/doc/mutt-xxx.README.
Hope this helps.
-- Mark

* RE: mutt and ssmtp on Cygwin on Windows Server 2003 'child exited 127'
@ 2004-05-19 15:10 Buchbinder, Barry (NIH/NIAID)
From: Buchbinder, Barry (NIH/NIAID) @ 2004-05-19 15:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Sorry for the noise.