* Re: Linking to commercial dll's
@ 2001-11-11  8:26 David Westbury
From: David Westbury @ 2001-11-11  8:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Jade,

I tried your recommended gcc string but no luck. Compiler reports that it
can't resolve references to functions in the dll. Same as if I specify no
filename.lib at all.

Thanks for reponse. Any other ideas greatly appreciated.

david

                    Jade
                    <jade@titan.um       To:     "David Westbury" <David.Westbury@ipaper.com>
                    cc.cu>               cc:
                                         Subject:     Re: Linking to commercial dll's
                    11/15/2001
                    08:44 AM

El jue, 15 nov 2001, escribiste:

> gcc -g myprog.c  -o myprog  /<path to commercial dll>/filename.dll

Sorry for sending tthis twice but i made a mistake
you should type :

>gcc -g myprog.c  -o myprog  /<path to commercial lib files of
commarcial dll>/filename.lib --
Jade

* RE: Linking to commercial dll's
@ 2001-11-11  8:26   ` Ralf Habacker
From: Ralf Habacker @ 2001-11-11  8:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cygwin

Here is another link with some documentation about this stuff

http://www.pms.informatik.uni-muenchen.de/mitarbeiter/panne/cygwin/using_dlls.ht

Regards
Ralf

From: Ralf Habacker @ 2001-11-11  8:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cygwin

<snip>

> 1. For a deeply explanation of the windows dll format look at
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnwbg
> en/html/ms
> dn_peeringpe.asp.
>
> 2. You have to create a ld compatible import library. You can use the tools
> impgen and dlltool for doing this. impgen comes from the libtool
> package and is
> appended to this mail. dlltool is a part of the basic cygwin.
>
> Here is an example for a dll named 'libxslt.dll':
>
> 1. compile the tool impgen with the appended source file
>
> 	gcc -o impgen impgen.c
> 	cp ./impgen /usr/local/bin
>

> 2. create a file with all exported symbols from the dll (it's called 'def'
> file).
>
> 	impgen libxslt.dll >libxslt.def

I should note that there is another tool pexports, which does the same as impgen
with the enhancement of exporting data symbols
You can found pexports under http://www.is.lg.ua/~paul/devel/binutils.html

Regards
Ralf

* RE: Linking to commercial dll's
@ 2001-11-11  8:26 ` Ralf Habacker
From: Ralf Habacker @ 2001-11-11  8:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cygwin

3. create an import library with this def file

	dlltool -d libxslt.def -l libxslt.a

4. Now you can link your app with the dll (in truth with the import library)
	Note:
	There may be some compiling problems with
	the include file from your dll in case of
	redefined symbols or compiler syntay.
	It may be nessesary to patch this.

	gcc -o yourapp yourapp.c -L. -lxslt

	Note2:
	You can verify using the import library with the -Wl,--verbose flag in you
command line.

	gcc -o yourapp yourapp.c -L. -lxslt -Wl,--verbose

	Then you see some lines with

	attempt to open /usr/lib/w32api/libkernel32.dll.a failed
	attempt to open /usr/lib/w32api/libkernel32.a succeeded

	which shows, that you are linking the .a file, not the dll.

Perhaps that helps

PS: To the cygwin cracks: If I have written something wrong, please correct
this.

Regards

Ralf Habacker

[-- Attachment #2: impgen.c --]

 /* impgen.c starts here */
 /*   Copyright (C) 1999, 2000, 2001 Free Software Foundation, Inc.

  This file is part of GNU libtool.

  (at your option) any later version.

  Foundation, Inc., 59 Temple Place - Suite 330, Boston, MA 02111-1307, USA.
  */

 #include <stdio.h>		/* for printf() */
 #include <unistd.h>		/* for open(), lseek(), read() */
 #include <fcntl.h>		/* for O_RDONLY, O_BINARY */
 #include <string.h>		/* for strdup() */

 /* O_BINARY isn't required (or even defined sometimes) under Unix */
 #ifndef O_BINARY
 #define O_BINARY 0
 #endif

 static unsigned int
 pe_get16 (fd, offset)
      int fd;
      int offset;
 {
   unsigned char b[2];
   lseek (fd, offset, SEEK_SET);
   read (fd, b, 2);
   return b[0] + (b[1]<<8);
 }

 static unsigned int
 pe_get32 (fd, offset)
     int fd;
     int offset;
 {
   unsigned char b[4];
   lseek (fd, offset, SEEK_SET);
   read (fd, b, 4);
   return b[0] + (b[1]<<8) + (b[2]<<16) + (b[3]<<24);
 }

 static unsigned int
 pe_as32 (ptr)
      void *ptr;
 {
   unsigned char *b = ptr;
   return b[0] + (b[1]<<8) + (b[2]<<16) + (b[3]<<24);
 }

 int
 main (argc, argv)
     int argc;
     char *argv[];
 {
     int dll;
     unsigned long pe_header_offset, opthdr_ofs, num_entries, i;
     unsigned long export_rva, export_size, nsections, secptr, expptr;
     unsigned long name_rvas, nexp;
     unsigned char *expdata, *erva;
     char *filename, *dll_name;

     filename = argv[1];

     dll = open(filename, O_RDONLY|O_BINARY);
     if (dll < 1)
 	return 1;

     dll_name = filename;

     for (i=0; filename[i]; i++)
 	if (filename[i] == '/' || filename[i] == '\\'  || filename[i] == ':')
 	    dll_name = filename + i +1;

     pe_header_offset = pe_get32 (dll, 0x3c);
     opthdr_ofs = pe_header_offset + 4 + 20;
     num_entries = pe_get32 (dll, opthdr_ofs + 92);

     if (num_entries < 1) /* no exports */
 	return 1;

     export_rva = pe_get32 (dll, opthdr_ofs + 96);
     export_size = pe_get32 (dll, opthdr_ofs + 100);
     nsections = pe_get16 (dll, pe_header_offset + 4 +2);
     secptr = (pe_header_offset + 4 + 20 +
 	      pe_get16 (dll, pe_header_offset + 4 + 16));

     expptr = 0;
     for (i = 0; i < nsections; i++)
     {
 	char sname[8];
 	unsigned long secptr1 = secptr + 40 * i;
 	unsigned long vaddr = pe_get32 (dll, secptr1 + 12);
 	unsigned long vsize = pe_get32 (dll, secptr1 + 16);
 	unsigned long fptr = pe_get32 (dll, secptr1 + 20);
 	lseek(dll, secptr1, SEEK_SET);
 	read(dll, sname, 8);
 	if (vaddr <= export_rva && vaddr+vsize > export_rva)
 	{
 	    expptr = fptr + (export_rva - vaddr);
 	    if (export_rva + export_size > vaddr + vsize)
 		export_size = vsize - (export_rva - vaddr);
 	    break;

     expdata = (unsigned char*)malloc(export_size);
     lseek (dll, expptr, SEEK_SET);
     read (dll, expdata, export_size);
     erva = expdata - export_rva;

     nexp = pe_as32 (expdata+24);
     name_rvas = pe_as32 (expdata+32);

     printf ("EXPORTS\n");
     for (i = 0; i<nexp; i++)
     {
 	unsigned long name_rva = pe_as32 (erva+name_rvas+i*4);
 	printf ("\t%s @ %ld ;\n", erva+name_rva, 1+ i);
     }

     return 0;
 }
 /* impgen.c ends here */

* Re: Linking to commercial dll's
@ 2001-11-11  8:26     ` Tim Prince
From: Tim Prince @ 2001-11-11  8:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ralf Habacker, Cygwin

Sven Panne
  Contact Curriculum Vitae Research Teaching Haskell libraries Cygwin stuff
Links Amazing pic...   Sven Panne   NOTE: I've left university and work for
BetaResearch now
> Here is another link with some documentation about this stuff

http://www.pms.informatik.uni-muenchen.de/mitarbeiter/panne/cygwin/using_dll
s.ht

> Regards
> Ralf

[-- Attachment #2: star.gif --]

* Re: Linking to commercial dll's
@ 2001-11-11  8:26 ` Charles Wilson
From: Charles Wilson @ 2001-11-11  8:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Westbury; +Cc: cygwin

David Westbury wrote:

> Dll's seem to be an especially difficult subject in cygwin, requiring
> detailed knowlege of the MS way of doing things.

Unfortunately, yes.

> Are dll's not
> standardized?

Unfortunately, no.

> Is a "cookbook" approach to dll linking not possible?

Not yet.  Soon this will be possible, but not quite yet (we're still
waiting for the final piece, libtool-with-autoimport-support).  Work is
progressing.

> The
> issue seems to be a steep hill for an average working programmer, like
me,
> to climb.

Yep.  I'm afraid that right now, you must actually learn some new
stuff.  Eventually it will be turnkey, but not yet.

See http://www.neuro.gatech.edu/users/cwilson/cygutils/V1.1/dll-stuff

--Chuck