I'm having difficulty getting the bash shell to handle Japanese double byte characters correctly. The handling of double byte Japanese characters is improved by adding the definitions listed below, but some commands such as ls, find, and cygpath still have problems. Is there anything else I can do to improve the handling of Japanese double byte characters in the bash shell? I believe the same problems would occur with Chinese and Korean (or any other double byte language for that matter), but would be happy to be corrected by someone who knows otherwise. The details of the problem I'm encountering are given below. >> Added to .inputrc >> set kanji-code sjis set convert-meta off set meta-flag on set output-meta on >> Added to .profile >> export LANG=ja_JP.SJIS export TZ=JST-9 export JLESSCHARSET=japanese-sjis alias ls='ls --show-control-chars --color -F' >> Added to .vimrc (for vi editor) >>> set enc=sjis set fileencoding=sjis Sample steps to reproduce the problem: 1. Set above variables 2. Open bash 3. Create a directory with Japanese characters mkdir '@@@@@' (@ means Japanese) 4. Change the directory cd '@@@@@' >>> Under Japanese directory, bash can't find files. It seems that the Japanese directory can't be handled properly. $ ls -la ls: .: No such file or directory >>> find command can't search under the Japanese directory $ find . -name test.txt find: ./@@@@@: No such file or directory This problem does not occur with all Japanese characters. Problematic Japanese characters are Kanji characters which has 0x5c code as the second byte in Shift-JIS. Attached below is the result of executing the command "cygcheck -s -v -r > cygversion.txt" -Joe