* win32 unix porting project
@ 1997-09-15 18:42 Clive Hudson
From: Clive Hudson @ 1997-09-15 18:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

        As a very new user to the win32 project I must say that I am
impressed with the effort that cygnus and others have managed. I must
also admit to being a tad disappointed with the way things look. I guess
I was hoping to see a virtual unix clone running under win95. I got the
bash shell working okay after supplying a  few config details, but it
still looked like a dos environment. I guess seeing the .exe after files
names gave the impression away. Is there any way we could remove .exe
from file names have still have them working in the bash shell.  I
renamed ps.exe ps and then typed ps while using the bourne shell all I
got back was a missing dll error message. I guess I shouldn't be
surprised at that.. Another question is it possible to mount the dir.
structure so that c:\gygnus32\b18\etc etc. while look like \ inside the
bourne shell. I admit that I ignorant on this possibility and haven't
read the docs on this point. I just thought I would ask. Is there also
work going on the cygnus api to allow ftp and telnet daemons work. I was
under the impression that a critical system call is missing to allow
this possibility. Is it also possible to have a /dev dir as well. People
might wonder why on earth would that  be of any use, considering win95
deals with all driver issues. However the dev files could just be simple
pointers to the win95 driver. In effect it would help complete the
impression of a virtual unix clone. I do realize that this might not be
the purpose of the cygnus porting effort, but there is great educational
value in have a virtual unix clone running under win95. It seems to me
that the cygnus is by far the closest effort to a virtual unix clone.

Cheers Mako

-

* Re: win32 unix porting project
@ 1997-09-17  6:03 ` Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 1997-09-17  6:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Clive Hudson; +Cc: gnu-win32

On Wed, 17 Sep 1997, Clive Hudson wrote:

>         As a very new user to the win32 project I must say that I am
> impressed with the effort that cygnus and others have managed. I must
> also admit to being a tad disappointed with the way things look. I guess
> I was hoping to see a virtual unix clone running under win95. I got the
> bash shell working okay after supplying a  few config details, but it
> still looked like a dos environment. I guess seeing the .exe after files
> names gave the impression away. Is there any way we could remove .exe
> from file names have still have them working in the bash shell.  I
> renamed ps.exe ps and then typed ps while using the bourne shell all I
> got back was a missing dll error message. I guess I shouldn't be
> surprised at that.. Another question is it possible to mount the dir.
> structure so that c:\gygnus32\b18\etc etc. while look like \ inside the
> bourne shell. I admit that I ignorant on this possibility and haven't
> read the docs on this point. I just thought I would ask. Is there also
> work going on the cygnus api to allow ftp and telnet daemons work. I was
> under the impression that a critical system call is missing to allow
> this possibility. Is it also possible to have a /dev dir as well. People
> might wonder why on earth would that  be of any use, considering win95
> deals with all driver issues. However the dev files could just be simple
> pointers to the win95 driver. In effect it would help complete the
> impression of a virtual unix clone. I do realize that this might not be
> the purpose of the cygnus porting effort, but there is great educational
> value in have a virtual unix clone running under win95. It seems to me
> that the cygnus is by far the closest effort to a virtual unix clone.
>

> Cheers Mako
>
> -

Mako,

I believe you need to read more.  Check out the mail archives at
http://www.cygnus.com/ml/gnu-win32 .

Let me suggest a few things:
	1) Create a directory which will mimick the UNIX root directory.
You can call it root, cygnus, unix or whatever you like.  I will refer to
it as rootdir.

	2) Start bash.

	3) cd /gnuwin31/b18/H-i386-cygwin32/bin

	4) ./umount /

	5) ./mount -b c:\\rootdir /

	6) ./mount -b c:\\gnuwin32\\b18\\H-i386\\cygwin32\\bin /bin

	7) ./mkdir /home

	8) ./mkdir /usr

	9) ./mkdir /etc

	10) ./mkdir anything else you would like.

	11) in the /etc directory create a file named "profile".  Put in
it any initial login commands.  You can also create a .bash_profile,
.bash_logout, and .bashrc file in the /home directory.  The next time you
execute bash add the -login switch.  See the bash documents for more
information.

The reason for the "missing cygwin.dll" message is that it needs to be in
a directory in the PATH.  The reason for the ".exe" on the executable
names is so that you can run them from dos.  gnu-win32 will run the
executable without having to type the .exe portion of the name.

The directories from the mkdir above will be contained in rootdir.  I did
this for segregation from the rest of the Win32 directory structure.

 \|-----------|/    eaboyd@freenet.columbus.oh.us
--|Earnie Boyd|--       ** text only please **

-