* problems with String.h
@ 1997-04-07 18:53 DRS
From: DRS @ 1997-04-07 18:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

Greetings,

The following works fine under GCC on Solaris (at school) but fails
under
my gnu-win32 setup at home:

//g++ -c str.cpp
//g++ -o str.exe str.o

#include <strclass.h>
#include <iostream.h>

main()
{
	string str("This is a test.");
	cout << str << endl;
	return 0;

}

/*
str.o(.text+0x35):str.cc: undefined reference to `String::String(char co
str.o(.text+0x4b):str.cc: undefined reference to `operator<<(ostream &,
onst &)'
str.o(.text+0x66):str.cc: undefined reference to `String::~String(void)'
*/

Is this simply a configuration problem, or what? I was wondering if it
had
to do with the string.h/String.h name collision. I have no problem using
iostream.h, which looks to be in the same directory. Ideas anyone?

Thank-you in advance for your help,

DRS
-

* Re: problems with String.h
@ 1997-04-07 22:56 ` James Paul Morgan
From: James Paul Morgan @ 1997-04-07 22:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

The g++ with Cygnus gives priority to /include/g++ over the
/H-i386../i386/include directory.  In fact, I had to rename a .h file in
the latter directory becuase the /include/g++ was being used instead.

An undefined reference means your program referred to that but there is
no definition for it.  In other words, String::String() does not exist in
any of the linked files of libraries.

I just compiled that code with:
g++ test.cpp -lg++

That worked fine.  You just need to link against the g++ library.

On Mon, 7 Apr 1997, DRS wrote:
> #include <strclass.h>
> #include <iostream.h>
>
> main()
> {
> 	string str("This is a test.");
> 	cout << str << endl;
> 	return 0;
>
> }
>
> /*
> str.o(.text+0x35):str.cc: undefined reference to `String::String(char co
> str.o(.text+0x4b):str.cc: undefined reference to `operator<<(ostream &,
> onst &)'
> str.o(.text+0x66):str.cc: undefined reference to `String::~String(void)'
> */

See ya around the Mulberry bush.

--James

:)

-

* Re: problems with String.h
@ 1997-04-08  6:14 Larry Hall
From: Larry Hall @ 1997-04-08  6:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: drs, gnu-win32

At 08:51 PM 4/7/97 -0500, DRS wrote:
>Greetings,
>
>The following works fine under GCC on Solaris (at school) but fails
>under
>my gnu-win32 setup at home:
>
>//g++ -c str.cpp
>//g++ -o str.exe str.o
>
>#include <strclass.h>
>#include <iostream.h>
>
>main()
>{
>	string str("This is a test.");
>	cout << str << endl;
>	return 0;
>
>}
>
>/*
>str.o(.text+0x35):str.cc: undefined reference to `String::String(char co
>str.o(.text+0x4b):str.cc: undefined reference to `operator<<(ostream &,
>onst &)'
>str.o(.text+0x66):str.cc: undefined reference to `String::~String(void)'
>*/
>
>Is this simply a configuration problem, or what? I was wondering if it
>had
>to do with the string.h/String.h name collision. I have no problem using
>iostream.h, which looks to be in the same directory. Ideas anyone?
>
>Thank-you in advance for your help,
>
>DRS
>-

For me, linking with -lg++ did the trick.  I'm not sure why this library
isn't included by default....

Larry

-