* ... called, and it's not done yet
@ 1997-10-08 14:08 Geoffrey Brown
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Geoffrey Brown @ 1997-10-08 14:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

I get messages similar to this when running less and starting rxvt.
In the case of less, when I try to search for a regular expression:

    regcomp called, and it's not done yet.

In the case of rxvt

    seteuid called, and it's not done yet

Any ideas how to avoid these ?

Geoffrey

Geoffrey Brown
Research Scientist
HP Labs Cambridge
1 Main Street 10th Floor
Cambridge, MA 02142

(617) 679-9338
(617) 679-9330 (fax)
-

* Re: ... called, and it's not done yet
@ 1997-10-09 15:19 ` Alex
From: Alex @ 1997-10-09 15:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

On Wed, 8 Oct 1997, Geoffrey Brown wrote:

> I get messages similar to this when running less and starting rxvt.
> In the case of less, when I try to search for a regular expression:
>
>     regcomp called, and it's not done yet.
>
> In the case of rxvt
>
>     seteuid called, and it's not done yet
>
> Any ideas how to avoid these ?

To me those messages are a little ambiguious, but all it's telling you is
that the function (say seteuid) is just a stub, that does nothing (at the
moment).  Unless you edit the source and comment out those lines (stub.cc
or similar) there's no way around this.  Perhaps if a syslog daemon is
ever ported.....

- alex

-

* Re: ... called, and it's not done yet
@ 1997-10-09 15:19 ` Fergus Henderson
From: Fergus Henderson @ 1997-10-09 15:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gbrown; +Cc: gnu-win32

You write:

>I get messages similar to this when running less and starting rxvt.
>In the case of less, when I try to search for a regular expression:
>
>    regcomp called, and it's not done yet.
>
>In the case of rxvt
>
>    seteuid called, and it's not done yet
>
>Any ideas how to avoid these ?

These messages indicate that a certain function, e.g. regcomp()
or seteuid(), has not yet been implemented.

To fix them, download the gnu-win32 source, grep the sources to find
wheter the function is defined, implement it,
build a new cygwin.dll with your modified sources, test it,
and then if all goes well mail a patch to the gnu-win32 mailing list.

Simple really ;-)

--
Fergus Henderson <fjh@cs.mu.oz.au>   |  "I have always known that the pursuit
WWW: < http://www.cs.mu.oz.au/~fjh >   |  of excellence is a lethal habit"

* Re: ... called, and it's not done yet
@ 1997-10-10  2:17 ` rale
From: rale @ 1997-10-10  2:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Geoffrey Brown; +Cc: gnu-win32

These are functions that arent yet implemented, but are included since
alot of programs require them to compile.  An example: how do you
implement seteuid() on Win95?... If you want to avoid them, and have
access to the source,  put the stuff that calls these functions inside a
#ifdef __CYGWIN32__

Geoffrey Brown wrote:

> I get messages similar to this when running less and starting rxvt.
> In the case of less, when I try to search for a regular expression:
>
>     regcomp called, and it's not done yet.
>
> In the case of rxvt
>
>     seteuid called, and it's not done yet
>
> Any ideas how to avoid these ?
>
> Geoffrey
>
> Geoffrey Brown
> Research Scientist
> HP Labs Cambridge
> 1 Main Street 10th Floor
> Cambridge, MA 02142
>
> (617) 679-9338
> (617) 679-9330 (fax)
> -
-

* Re: ... called, and it's not done yet
@ 1997-10-11 12:53   ` Alex
From: Alex @ 1997-10-11 12:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

On Thu, 9 Oct 1997, rale wrote:

> These are functions that arent yet implemented, but are included since
> alot of programs require them to compile.  An example: how do you
> implement seteuid() on Win95?... If you want to avoid them, and have
> access to the source,  put the stuff that calls these functions inside a
> #ifdef __CYGWIN32__

You mean #ifndef right?

- alex

-

* Re: ... called, and it's not done yet
@ 1997-10-11 23:06     ` rale
From: rale @ 1997-10-11 23:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

Alex wrote:

> On Thu, 9 Oct 1997, rale wrote:
>
> > These are functions that arent yet implemented, but are included since
> > alot of programs require them to compile.  An example: how do you
> > implement seteuid() on Win95?... If you want to avoid them, and have
> > access to the source,  put the stuff that calls these functions inside a
> > #ifdef __CYGWIN32__
>
> You mean #ifndef right?
>
> - alex

Err, ya, sorry.... well, how about:

#ifdef __CYGWIN32__
 /* workaround for unimplemented function */
#else
 /* normal code */
#endif

=)

-rale
-

* Re: ... called, and it's not done yet
@ 1997-10-12 16:02       ` Alex
From: Alex @ 1997-10-12 16:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

On Sun, 12 Oct 1997, rale wrote:

> #ifdef __CYGWIN32__
>  /* workaround for unimplemented function */
> #else
>  /* normal code */
> #endif
>
> =)

If ya have a workaround, an even better idea would be to send it to the
mailing list, so you wouldn't have to work around it.

- alex

-