* forking vim gui
@ 1997-10-10  3:18 Colman Curtin
From: Colman Curtin @ 1997-10-10  3:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: GNU Win 32

folks
Having successfully compiled my fav editor vim a while back.
How come when I launch it as 'gvim' or 'vim -g' which causes vim to fork the
gui version I get an exception.
However if I launch it as 'vim -g -f' which launches the gui but doesn't
return to the shell it work fine.
But if I launch it as above but use bash to background it 'vim -g -f &' it all
works fine and I get bash back?

vim5.0m, Sergey's latest dll and bash, win95 16MB

any ideas?

Colman.

-

* Re: forking vim gui
@ 1997-10-11 12:53 ` Alex
From: Alex @ 1997-10-11 12:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

On Fri, 10 Oct 1997, Colman Curtin wrote:

> folks
> Having successfully compiled my fav editor vim a while back.
> How come when I launch it as 'gvim' or 'vim -g' which causes vim to fork the
> gui version I get an exception.
> However if I launch it as 'vim -g -f' which launches the gui but doesn't
> return to the shell it work fine.
> But if I launch it as above but use bash to background it 'vim -g -f &' it all
> works fine and I get bash back?

Under Win95, a program can't fork() or vfork() into the background,
without raising an exception.  NT will allow this as long as the shell
remains open (I think).  Using an '&' will not cause the launching program
to fork, thus allowing it to work.

- alex

-

* Re: forking vim gui
@ 1997-10-13 19:00   ` Charles Curley
From: Charles Curley @ 1997-10-13 19:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Victor Hugo Ochoa Garza
  Cc: GNU Win 32, 'Colman Curtin', Sergey Okhapkin

At 12:08 AM 10/13/97 -0600, Victor Hugo Ochoa Garza wrote:
>Some one know if gynuss have a nice development platafform, or all the
>compilation have be done in ths dos window....like gcc -c bla bla bla
>
>Sorry for my poor english

Try NT Emacs. If you are familiar with it from Unix, you will find it works
quite well on NT or W95.

http://www.cs.washington.edu/homes/voelker/ntemacs.html

		-- C^2

Looking for fine software and/or web pages?
http://web.idirect.com/~ccurley
-

* Re: forking vim gui
@ 1997-10-13 10:28   ` Bartlee A. Anderson
From: Bartlee A. Anderson @ 1997-10-13 10:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Victor Hugo Ochoa Garza; +Cc: gnu-win32

Do a web search for Bluegnu, it is an IDE for win32 and if you have a
working version, then you need the bluegnu.exe and the bggaddon.exe
(something like that). The web page should direct you. If you have
trouble finding it via web search, let me know and I'll hunt down the
URL for you.
You will want to save your cygwin.dll before installing, or it will
get whacked (windows/system). Then you just need to go into the options
and point to your executables and the paths for c and c++ includes and
then you're set. The resources compiler will cause you problems but what
I just did was use cvtres from msvc++. You can get a replacement from
lcc courtesy Jacob Navia (he frequents this list btw.. ;)

Any body with better ideas, let me know....

Bart

Victor Hugo Ochoa Garza wrote:

> Some one know if gynuss have a nice development platafform, or all the
> compilation have be done in ths dos window....like gcc -c bla bla bla
>
> Sorry for my poor english
>
> -

Bartlee A. Anderson     |  Sys. Test (ISDN-Commands-Trans Link-Tools)
Rockwell International  |                Electronic Commerce Division
300 Bauman Ct.          |                    banders@ecd.rockwell.com
MS 933-605      Opinions my own, not Rockwell's  VOICE (630) 227-8975
Wood Dale, IL 60191     |                        FAX   (630) 227-9771
-

* Re: forking vim gui
@ 1997-10-13  9:19   ` Jesse L. Marlin
From: Jesse L. Marlin @ 1997-10-13  9:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Victor Hugo Ochoa Garza
  Cc: Sergey Okhapkin, GNU Win 32, 'Colman Curtin'

On Mon, 13 Oct 1997, Victor Hugo Ochoa Garza wrote:

If you have used Emacs or Xemacs it has support for debugging,
highlighting syntax, etc.  There is a version of Emacs (19.34) for 95/NT
that is pretty functional.  I don't know a site right off the bat but any
search engine is bound to turn it up.

> Some one know if gynuss have a nice development platafform, or all the
> compilation have be done in ths dos window....like gcc -c bla bla bla
>
> Sorry for my poor english
>
> -

-

* Re: forking vim gui
@ 1997-10-12 22:05 ` Victor Hugo Ochoa Garza
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Victor Hugo Ochoa Garza @ 1997-10-12 22:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sergey Okhapkin; +Cc: GNU Win 32, 'Colman Curtin'

@ 1997-10-10 23:40 Sergey Okhapkin
From: Sergey Okhapkin @ 1997-10-10 23:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: GNU Win 32, 'Colman Curtin'

Colman Curtin wrote:
> folks
> Having successfully compiled my fav editor vim a while back.
> How come when I launch it as 'gvim' or 'vim -g' which causes vim to fork
the
> gui version I get an exception.
> However if I launch it as 'vim -g -f' which launches the gui but doesn't
> return to the shell it work fine.
> But if I launch it as above but use bash to background it 'vim -g -f &'
it all
> works fine and I get bash back?
>
> vim5.0m, Sergey's latest dll and bash, win95 16MB
>
> any ideas?

It's a bug of cygwin - .bss/.data sections of dll's are not copied to a
child on fork(). Someone in this list wrote about related fixes he made,
but I never saw the fixes itself :-(

--
Sergey Okhapkin, http://www.lexa.ru/sos
Moscow, Russia