From: Elfyn McBratney <elfyn@cygwin.com>
To: Bruce Dobrin <dobrin@imageworks.com>
Cc: cygwin@cygwin.com
Subject: Re: unable to autologin to 2003
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2003 02:40:00 -0000	[thread overview]

On Thu, 26 Jun 2003, Bruce Dobrin wrote:

> I hope this isn't a stupid question.  I configure cygwin with a script which
> installs all passwd,  hosts.equiv, inetd etc.....  I have hundreds of
> machines configured this way on which all is well.  I just installed 2003
> server,  cygwin, and ran the autoconfig script.  I am unable to rsh to this
> machine.  I get:
>
> dobrin@srdalien2:/home/dobrin> rlogin srdalien2
> Switching to user dobrin failed!
> rlogin: connection closed.
>
> or
>
> dobrin@srdalien2:/home/dobrin> rlogin srdalien2 -l dobrin
> Switching to user dobrin failed!
> rlogin: connection closed.
>

> cygwin settingis :
> dobrin@srdalien2:/home/dobrin> echo $CYGWIN
> binmode tty ntsec
>
> Is there a known 2003 server issue,  I searched the mailing lists pretty
> carefully,  but sisn't turn up anything.
>
> telnet and non interactive rsh (rather than  rlogin),  work fine.

AFAIK, none of the core developers have a copy of Windows 2003 Server to test
this stuff on. So, if you want/need help, you'll have to try and debug this
yourself.

It looks as though Cygwin cannot switch user context to 'dobrin' on your
server, so the first place to start would be checking that the account that's
running the rshd service has the required privileges (see
<http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/ntsec.html#NTSEC-SETUID> for more) to switch
user context, normally SYSTEM (LocalSystem).

Elfyn