* handle_threadlist_exception: handle_threadlist_exception called with threadlist_ix -1
@ 2005-09-01 14:25 Dave Korn
From: Dave Korn @ 2005-09-01 14:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

  Anyone else seeing quite a lot of these with current cvs HEAD?  Often when
pressing Ctrl-C, sometimes when things exit for other (signal-related?)
reasons?

  I think this error indicates that a signal has been received but either
find_tls hasn't yet been called, or something has overwritten the threadlist
index.  There's a lot that goes on at startup/fork time, though, and I'm not
deeply familiar with it.  Since I'm set up for debugging ATM, does anyone
have any suggestions where I could look next?

    cheers,
      DaveK

* Re: handle_threadlist_exception: handle_threadlist_exception called with threadlist_ix -1
@ 2005-09-01 14:43 ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2005-09-01 14:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Thu, Sep 01, 2005 at 03:25:17PM +0100, Dave Korn wrote:

>  Anyone else seeing quite a lot of these with current cvs HEAD?  Often when
>pressing Ctrl-C, sometimes when things exit for other (signal-related?)
>reasons?
>
>  I think this error indicates that a signal has been received but either
>find_tls hasn't yet been called, or something has overwritten the threadlist
>index.  There's a lot that goes on at startup/fork time, though, and I'm not
>deeply familiar with it.  Since I'm set up for debugging ATM, does anyone
>have any suggestions where I could look next?

How about looking in the direction of a simple test scenario which demonstrates
what you are reporting?

cgf

* RE: handle_threadlist_exception: handle_threadlist_exception called with threadlist_ix -1
@ 2005-09-01 14:47   ` Dave Korn
From: Dave Korn @ 2005-09-01 14:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
> On Thu, Sep 01, 2005 at 03:25:17PM +0100, Dave Korn wrote:
>>
>>  Anyone else seeing quite a lot of these with current cvs HEAD?  Often
>> when pressing Ctrl-C, sometimes when things exit for other
>> (signal-related?) reasons?
>>
>>  I think this error indicates that a signal has been received but either
>> find_tls hasn't yet been called, or something has overwritten the
>> threadlist index.  There's a lot that goes on at startup/fork time,
>> though, and I'm not deeply familiar with it.  Since I'm set up for
>> debugging ATM, does anyone have any suggestions where I could look next?
>
> How about looking in the direction of a simple test scenario which
> demonstrates what you are reporting?
>
> cgf

  Well, "run programs and sometimes it happens when you press Ctrl-C" isn't
exactly reproducible, so I was trying to find out what the message _means_
so that I could try and make a few guesses at how to trip whatever condition
it indicates so that I might have a chance of being able to make a testcase.

@ 2005-10-06 13:17   ` Pavel Tsekov
From: Pavel Tsekov @ 2005-10-06 13:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Thu, 1 Sep 2005, Christopher Faylor wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 01, 2005 at 03:25:17PM +0100, Dave Korn wrote:
> >
> >  Anyone else seeing quite a lot of these with current cvs HEAD?  Often when
> >pressing Ctrl-C, sometimes when things exit for other (signal-related?)
> >reasons?
> >
> >  I think this error indicates that a signal has been received but either
> >find_tls hasn't yet been called, or something has overwritten the threadlist
> >index.  There's a lot that goes on at startup/fork time, though, and I'm not
> >deeply familiar with it.  Since I'm set up for debugging ATM, does anyone
> >have any suggestions where I could look next?
>
> How about looking in the direction of a simple test scenario which demonstrates
> what you are reporting?

I am can reproduce this repeatedly - I'll try to isolate the cause and
post a test case.

* Re: handle_threadlist_exception: handle_threadlist_exception called  with threadlist_ix -1
@ 2005-10-06 14:19     ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2005-10-06 14:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Thu, Oct 06, 2005 at 04:18:39PM +0300, Pavel Tsekov wrote:
>On Thu, 1 Sep 2005, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Sep 01, 2005 at 03:25:17PM +0100, Dave Korn wrote:
>> >
>> >  Anyone else seeing quite a lot of these with current cvs HEAD?  Often when
>> >pressing Ctrl-C, sometimes when things exit for other (signal-related?)
>> >reasons?
>> >
>> >  I think this error indicates that a signal has been received but either
>> >find_tls hasn't yet been called, or something has overwritten the threadlist
>> >index.  There's a lot that goes on at startup/fork time, though, and I'm not
>> >deeply familiar with it.  Since I'm set up for debugging ATM, does anyone
>> >have any suggestions where I could look next?
>>
>> How about looking in the direction of a simple test scenario which demonstrates
>> what you are reporting?
>
>I am can reproduce this repeatedly - I'll try to isolate the cause and
>post a test case.

Did you happen to notice when the age of the message to which you're
responding?  Dave figured out the problem subsequent to sending the
above.  It was due to some object files not getting rebuilt after a
change to cygtls.h.

* Re: handle_threadlist_exception: handle_threadlist_exception called   with threadlist_ix -1
@ 2005-10-06 14:38       ` Pavel Tsekov
From: Pavel Tsekov @ 2005-10-06 14:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Thu, 6 Oct 2005, Christopher Faylor wrote:

> Did you happen to notice when the age of the message to which you're
> responding?  Dave figured out the problem subsequent to sending the
> above.  It was due to some object files not getting rebuilt after a
> change to cygtls.h.

Yes. When I saw the error message I remembered that I've seen it on
the mailing list already. So, I used the search engine to find on
which date the message was posted and replied ot that post.

It might be a different problem but the message is the same. And this is
with a clean build of the dll from yesterday and a clean build of the
software from today. Here is a backtrace (just for the record):

(gdb) bt
#0  sigismember (set=0x162f090, sig=31) at
../../../../src/winsup/cygwin/signal.cc:429
#1  0x61017710 in sigpacket::process (this=0x6113b3ec) at
../../../../src/winsup/cygwin/exceptions.cc:1072
#2  0x61092b18 in wait_sig () at
../../../../src/winsup/cygwin/sigproc.cc:1128
#3  0x610033ef in cygthread::stub (arg=0xa2eff0) at
../../../../src/winsup/cygwin/cygthread.cc:73
#4  0x00000f94 in ?? ()
#5  0x00000000 in ?? () from

In frame 0 'set' is pointing at invalid memory - I am trying to determine
why.

* Re: handle_threadlist_exception: handle_threadlist_exception called   with threadlist_ix -1
@ 2005-10-06 15:00         ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2005-10-06 15:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Thu, Oct 06, 2005 at 05:39:35PM +0300, Pavel Tsekov wrote:
>On Thu, 6 Oct 2005, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>
>> Did you happen to notice when the age of the message to which you're
>> responding?  Dave figured out the problem subsequent to sending the
>> above.  It was due to some object files not getting rebuilt after a
>> change to cygtls.h.
>
>Yes. When I saw the error message I remembered that I've seen it on
>the mailing list already. So, I used the search engine to find on
>which date the message was posted and replied ot that post.
>
>It might be a different problem but the message is the same.

It *is* a different problem.

>And this is with a clean build of the dll from yesterday and a clean
>build of the software from today.  Here is a backtrace (just for the
>record):
>
>(gdb) bt
>#0  sigismember (set=0x162f090, sig=31) at
>../../../../src/winsup/cygwin/signal.cc:429
>#1  0x61017710 in sigpacket::process (this=0x6113b3ec) at
>../../../../src/winsup/cygwin/exceptions.cc:1072
>#2  0x61092b18 in wait_sig () at
>../../../../src/winsup/cygwin/sigproc.cc:1128
>#3  0x610033ef in cygthread::stub (arg=0xa2eff0) at
>../../../../src/winsup/cygwin/cygthread.cc:73
>#4  0x00000f94 in ?? ()
>#5  0x00000000 in ?? () from
>
>In frame 0 'set' is pointing at invalid memory - I am trying to determine
>why.

Some thread is sending a signal 31 (SIGUSR1).  Which thread is doing this?

cgf

* Re: handle_threadlist_exception: handle_threadlist_exception called    with threadlist_ix -1
@ 2005-10-06 15:41           ` Pavel Tsekov
From: Pavel Tsekov @ 2005-10-06 15:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Thu, 6 Oct 2005, Christopher Faylor wrote:

> >It might be a different problem but the message is the same.
>
> It *is* a different problem.

Ok.

> Some thread is sending a signal 31 (SIGUSR1).  Which thread is doing this?

An application thread signaling another thread to stop its execution. I am
on it - I'll report back if I manage to find something.

* Re: handle_threadlist_exception: handle_threadlist_exception called    with threadlist_ix -1
@ 2005-10-11 14:49             ` Pavel Tsekov
From: Pavel Tsekov @ 2005-10-11 14:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Thu, 6 Oct 2005, Pavel Tsekov wrote:

> On Thu, 6 Oct 2005, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>
> > >It might be a different problem but the message is the same.
> >
> > It *is* a different problem.
>
> Ok.
>
> > Some thread is sending a signal 31 (SIGUSR1).  Which thread is doing this?
>
> An application thread signaling another thread to stop its execution. I am
> on it - I'll report back if I manage to find something.

While tracking this problem I found what I suspect is a small bug in
the way sigsuspend() works when it is used to retrieve the list of pending
signals for a thread other than the main one. I think this is related to
the crash I am seeing in some way though this has to be determined yet.

As I read the code, when retrieving the list of pending signals
sigpending() inspects only the list of blocked signals for the main
thread - it doesn't look in the thread specific list of blocked signals
of the calling thread.

The code which I refer to is the following block from wait_sig():

        case __SIGPENDING:
          *pack.mask = 0;
          unsigned bit;
          sigq.reset ();
          while ((q = sigq.next ()))
            if (myself->getsigmask () & (bit = SIGTOMASK (q->si.si_signo)))
              *pack.mask |= bit;
          break;

On the other hand the code in sigpacket::process() does the right thing
when it delivers a signal i.e. it looks the list of blocked signals in
both the main thread and the target thread.

Attached is a simple test case which demonstrates the problem.

On Linux:

pending_set = 00000000
pending_set = 00000000
pending_set = 00000000
pending_set = 00000000
pending_set = 00000000
pending_set = 00000800
exiting thread_loop()

On Cygwin:

pending_set = 00000000
pending_set = 00000000
pending_set = 00000000
pending_set = 00000000
pending_set = 00000000
pending_set = 00000000
pending_set = 00000000
pending_set = 00000000
pending_set = 00000000
pending_set = 00000000
pending_set = 00000000
pending_set = 00000000
pending_set = 00000000

[ keeps looping forever ]

#include <signal.h>
#include <stdio.h>
#include <pthread.h>

static void *thread_loop (void *unused)
{
  sigset_t block_set, pending_set;

  sigemptyset (&block_set);
  sigaddset (&block_set, SIGUSR2);
  if (pthread_sigmask (SIG_BLOCK, &block_set, NULL) != 0)
    {
      printf ("failed to set the list of blocked signals\n");
    }

  while (1)
    {
      sigpending (&pending_set);

      printf ("pending_set = %08X\n", pending_set);

      if (sigismember (&pending_set, SIGUSR2) != 0)
	break;

      sleep (1);
    }

  printf ("exiting thread_loop()\n");

  return NULL;
}

int main (int argc, char **argv)
{
  int rv;
  pthread_t thr_id;

  rv = pthread_create (&thr_id, NULL, thread_loop, NULL);
  if (rv != 0)
    {
      printf ("failed to create thread.\n");
      exit (1);
    }

  /* give the second thread a chance to run */
  sleep (5);

  while (1)
    {
      if (pthread_kill (thr_id, SIGUSR2) != 0)
        break;
    }

  exit (0);

* Re: handle_threadlist_exception: handle_threadlist_exception called    with threadlist_ix -1
@ 2005-10-11 15:01               ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2005-10-11 15:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Tue, Oct 11, 2005 at 05:51:00PM +0300, Pavel Tsekov wrote:

>> > It *is* a different problem.
>>
>> Ok.
>>
>> > Some thread is sending a signal 31 (SIGUSR1).  Which thread is doing this?
>>
>> An application thread signaling another thread to stop its execution. I am
>> on it - I'll report back if I manage to find something.
>
>While tracking this problem I found what I suspect is a small bug in
>the way sigsuspend() works when it is used to retrieve the list of pending
>signals for a thread other than the main one. I think this is related to
>the crash I am seeing in some way though this has to be determined yet.

See the FIXME a few lines down from that.

>As I read the code, when retrieving the list of pending signals
>sigpending() inspects only the list of blocked signals for the main
>thread - it doesn't look in the thread specific list of blocked signals
>of the calling thread.

So, it sounds like you're pretty close to a PTC.

I don't see how ignoring blocked signals would cause a SEGV however.

cgf

* Re: handle_threadlist_exception: handle_threadlist_exception called     with threadlist_ix -1
@ 2005-10-12 12:16                 ` Pavel Tsekov
From: Pavel Tsekov @ 2005-10-12 12:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Tue, 11 Oct 2005, Christopher Faylor wrote:

> I don't see how ignoring blocked signals would cause a SEGV however.

Well... indirectly they do :) I hope you are not too annoyed already
because this time I really found the cause of the problem.

Assume a signal is sent to a thread with pthread_kill() but the thread is
blocking the signal and in doesn't get processed through it's lifetime.
The thread dies but the signal still remains in the singal queue.
Something triggeres the processing of the signal - sig_dispatch_pending()
in my case (which is called as part of pthread_sigmask()). As part of the
processing the 'tls' member of sigpacket is dereferenced but at that time
it is already invalid.

I'll try to post a testcase ASAP which demonstrates the problem.

* Re: handle_threadlist_exception: handle_threadlist_exception called     with threadlist_ix -1
@ 2005-10-13  9:51                   ` Pavel Tsekov
From: Pavel Tsekov @ 2005-10-13  9:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin