* Cygwin mounts not available when logged in over network
@ 2002-06-02 11:12 Bob Friesenhahn
From: Bob Friesenhahn @ 2002-06-02 11:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

With the current release of Cygwin I am experiencing the bizzare
problem that a samba mount which is mounted as drive "Z:" on my
Windows XP system is available to Cygwin applications when accessed
from a Windows console window (Cygwin default or rxvt), but does not
appear to be mounted if I access the system via remote login with
telnet, ssh, or xterm from a remote X11 server.

In a console window 'ls /cydrive/z' lists the expected files but I see
the error

  /bin/ls: /cygdrive/z: No such file or directory

if the shell is accessed over the network.  I assume that Cygwin's
mount mapping is not being activated for some reason.

I am currently using zsh as my shell, compiled under Cygwin, but the
same problem occurs when using Cygwin's bash shell.

Does anyone know the reason for this problem?  Is there a workaround?

Bob

* Re: Cygwin mounts not available when logged in over network
@ 2002-06-02 12:14 ` rich-paul
From: rich-paul @ 2002-06-02 12:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

This sounds like a problem I had using an old ORB:  The orb ran as a
service, and was unable to access windows shares, although anything else
could.

The solution, IIRC, was to change the user under which the service ran.

Of course, if you're not running your listener as a windoze service,
this may not apply.

On Sun, Jun 02, 2002 at 01:12:09PM -0500, Bob Friesenhahn wrote:
> With the current release of Cygwin I am experiencing the bizzare
> problem that a samba mount which is mounted as drive "Z:" on my
> Windows XP system is available to Cygwin applications when accessed
> from a Windows console window (Cygwin default or rxvt), but does not
> appear to be mounted if I access the system via remote login with
> telnet, ssh, or xterm from a remote X11 server.
>
> In a console window 'ls /cydrive/z' lists the expected files but I see
> the error
>
>   /bin/ls: /cygdrive/z: No such file or directory
>
> if the shell is accessed over the network.  I assume that Cygwin's
> mount mapping is not being activated for some reason.
>
> I am currently using zsh as my shell, compiled under Cygwin, but the
> same problem occurs when using Cygwin's bash shell.
>
> Does anyone know the reason for this problem?  Is there a workaround?
>
> Bob

Got freedom?  Vote Libertarian:  http://www.lp.org

* Re: Cygwin mounts not available when logged in over network
@ 2002-06-02 12:21   ` Bob Friesenhahn
From: Bob Friesenhahn @ 2002-06-02 12:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rich-paul; +Cc: cygwin

On Sun, 2 Jun 2002 rich-paul@rich-paul.net wrote:

> This sounds like a problem I had using an old ORB:  The orb ran as a
> service, and was unable to access windows shares, although anything else
> could.
>
> The solution, IIRC, was to change the user under which the service ran.

I used the procedures described in Cygwin's ssh and inetd
documentation to register the servers.   The servers are indeed
running as windoze services.

If the user name is changed, will this cause the user id of the shell
that gets started to change?  What user ID should the service run
under?

Note that you are talking to a Windows neophyte here.

Bob

@ 2002-06-02 23:49 ` egor duda
From: egor duda @ 2002-06-02 23:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bob Friesenhahn; +Cc: cygwin

Hi!

Sunday, 02 June, 2002 Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen@simple.dallas.tx.us wrote:

BF> With the current release of Cygwin I am experiencing the bizzare
BF> problem that a samba mount which is mounted as drive "Z:" on my
BF> Windows XP system is available to Cygwin applications when accessed
BF> from a Windows console window (Cygwin default or rxvt), but does not
BF> appear to be mounted if I access the system via remote login with
BF> telnet, ssh, or xterm from a remote X11 server.

BF> In a console window 'ls /cydrive/z' lists the expected files but I see
BF> the error

BF>   /bin/ls: /cygdrive/z: No such file or directory

BF> if the shell is accessed over the network.  I assume that Cygwin's
BF> mount mapping is not being activated for some reason.

BF> I am currently using zsh as my shell, compiled under Cygwin, but the
BF> same problem occurs when using Cygwin's bash shell.

BF> Does anyone know the reason for this problem?  Is there a workaround?

If your drive z: is mapped network drive it wouldn't be available from
other login sessions. This has nothing to do with cygwin, it's
restriction of windows. To check this, just try to start cmd.exe from
your ssh session and type 'dir z:\' there.

You should use //host/share/ unc-style paths instead of drive letters.

* Re: Cygwin mounts not available when logged in over network
@ 2002-06-03 18:02   ` Bob Friesenhahn
From: Bob Friesenhahn @ 2002-06-03 18:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: egor duda

On Mon, 3 Jun 2002, egor duda wrote:

> BF> Does anyone know the reason for this problem?  Is there a workaround?
>
> If your drive z: is mapped network drive it wouldn't be available from
> other login sessions. This has nothing to do with cygwin, it's
> restriction of windows. To check this, just try to start cmd.exe from
> your ssh session and type 'dir z:\' there.
>
> You should use //host/share/ unc-style paths instead of drive letters.

Still no luck:

From a network login:

  % mount -s -b //scooby/homes /homes
  mount: warning - /homes does not exist.
  % mount
  \\scooby\homes on /homes type system (binmode)
  C:\cygwin\bin on /usr/bin type system (binmode)
  C:\cygwin\lib on /usr/lib type system (binmode)
  C:\cygwin on / type system (binmode)
  Z: on /scooby type system (binmode)
  c: on /cygdrive/c type user (binmode,noumount)
  % ls -l /homes
  /bin/ls: /homes: Permission denied
  % id
  uid=1006(bfriesen) gid=513(None)
  groups=0(Everyone),513(None),544(Administrators),545(Users)

However, the 'ls -l' works fine from a console window.

Any more ideas

@ 2002-06-04  5:37 Polley Christopher W
From: Polley Christopher W @ 2002-06-04  5:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'cygwin@cygwin.com'

This sounds like a windows problem --

[warning: this is based on knowledge of NT4/W2KPro -- I don't know how valid
it is on 95/ME/...]

If someone else is logged in to the machine interactively, the shares that
that user has will be unavaliable to you -- you must map that drive manually
with the "net use" command --

i.e. from Bash,
$ net use z: \\\\scooby\homes

(net use doen't grok the //server/share format for UNC paths)

It seems that if the (GUI) interactive user (on the machine you are logged
into) has a share assigned to a device, you can't connect a different share
to that device (you can't connect q: to \\server2\share if a connection is
already made on Q: to \\server1\share)

I'm not sure if you can connect to the same share on the in-use device,
though.

HTH,
Chris

       [not found] <Pine.GSO.4.44.0206031542140.25087-100000@scooby.simplesystems.org>
@ 2002-06-03 23:39 ` egor duda
From: egor duda @ 2002-06-03 23:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bob Friesenhahn; +Cc: cygwin

Hi!

Tuesday, 04 June, 2002 Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen@simple.dallas.tx.us wrote:

Please, keep this thread on-the-list. I'm intentionally setting
answers to the list instead of personal e-mail.

BF> On Mon, 3 Jun 2002, egor duda wrote:
>> If your drive z: is mapped network drive it wouldn't be available from
>> other login sessions. This has nothing to do with cygwin, it's
>> restriction of windows. To check this, just try to start cmd.exe from
>> your ssh session and type 'dir z:\' there.
>>
>> You should use //host/share/ unc-style paths instead of drive letters.

BF> This gets me to a "Permission denied" message.  When I created the
BF> "Z:" drive I had to enter a username and password.  What is the
BF> workaround?

BF> % mount //scooby/bfriesen /scooby2
BF> mount: warning - /scooby2 does not exist.
BF> % ls -l /scooby2
BF> /bin/ls: /scooby2: Permission denied

Again, this has nothing to do with cygwin. Try starting cmd.exe from
ssh session and type 'dir \\scooby\bfriesen' there. You'll get the
same "Permission denied" error.

It's a windows feature. If you run some program in the separate login
session, and want to use some network resource on remote host, you
should login to that host with appropriate credentials. On windows
nt, 2000 and xp it can be done, for instance, from cmd.exe's command
line using "net use" windows command. After successful login you
should be able to read \\scooby\bfriesen share from windows programs
and, consequentially, from cygwin programs too.

* RE: Cygwin mounts not available when logged in over network
@ 2002-06-03  6:50 Fletcher, Bob (GEAE, EB&TS)
From: Fletcher, Bob (GEAE, EB&TS) @ 2002-06-03  6:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: 'Bob Friesenhahn'

I've seen a similar problem trying to access local drives from a network
connection(rconsole,LSF). I couldn't see    the automatic  /cygwin/c, cygwin/d
mounts. Oddly, they appeared if the connecting user was in the Administrator
group, but not otherwise. I worked around it by creating explicit system mounts
under cygwin.

mount -f -s -t "c:" "/c"
mount -f -s -t "d:" "/d"

Bob.