* Re: Adding cygwin/bin to dos path
@ 2003-09-05  5:35 fergus
From: fergus @ 2003-09-05  5:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: fergus

> Put it at the end so that the UNIX commands
> wouldn't override MS commands with the same
> name.

> My question is, was this a foolish and stupid thing
> to do?

In my opinion: putting it in the PATH is a wise and sensible thing to do,
giving you access to all this excellent stuff. But (my recommendation would
be - others may differ): put it before the Windows command pathnames. There
are very few clashes (find, sort, a couple of others I think) and the Cygwin
interpretations are incomparably "better" (more useful, versatile,
informative, helpful).

Fergus

* Re: Adding cygwin/bin to dos path
@ 2003-09-05 13:28 ` Igor Pechtchanski
From: Igor Pechtchanski @ 2003-09-05 13:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: fergus; +Cc: cygwin

On Fri, 5 Sep 2003 Fergus wrote:

> > Put it at the end so that the UNIX commands
> > wouldn't override MS commands with the same
> > name.
>
> > My question is, was this a foolish and stupid thing
> > to do?
>
> In my opinion: putting it in the PATH is a wise and sensible thing to do,
> giving you access to all this excellent stuff. But (my recommendation would
> be - others may differ): put it before the Windows command pathnames. There
> are very few clashes (find, sort, a couple of others I think) and the Cygwin
> interpretations are incomparably "better" (more useful, versatile,
> informative, helpful).

...and break existing batch files, which expect Windows commands instead.
If you want Cygwin's find, just run "bash -c find".  Ditto for "sort",
etc.  IMO, of course.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

* Re: Adding cygwin/bin to dos path
@ 2003-09-05 13:23 ` Igor Pechtchanski
From: Igor Pechtchanski @ 2003-09-05 13:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brock Filer; +Cc: cygwin

On Thu, 4 Sep 2003, Brock Filer wrote:

> I installed Cygwin a couple hours ago and I added the
> bin directory to my autoexec.bat path setting. Put it
> at the end so that the UNIX commands wouldn't override
> MS commands with the same name.
> Mostly I did this so I can call a bash script from a
> java program without a lot of OS sniffing.
> My question is, was this a foolish and stupid thing to do?

Not at all.  In fact, that's the way I have it set up - it causes minimal
disruption in the existing batch files and commands.  Unless you have MKS
earlier in the path, you should be able to simply call 'bash -c "Any
Cygwin Command"' anyway.

However, you won't be able to call bash scripts directly.  You'll need to
invoke bash and let it start the script (even if it's not a bash script --
bash will honor the #! magic).  This should work on other systems as well,
so the code will be portable.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

* Re: Adding cygwin/bin to dos path
@ 2003-09-05  6:14 ` Andrew DeFaria
From: Andrew DeFaria @ 2003-09-05  6:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Brock Filer wrote:

> I installed Cygwin a couple hours ago and I added the bin directory to
> my autoexec.bat path setting. Put it at the end so that the UNIX
> commands wouldn't override MS commands with the same name.

What MS commands? :-) There are so few of them! Personally I put
C:\Cygwin\Bin first in my Windows System Environement Variable PATH
(Right click My computer, select Properties: Advanced: Environment and
make sure you set the System, not the User, PATH variable). This also
allows services to find things (like inetd).

* Adding cygwin/bin to dos path
@ 2003-09-05  4:03 Brock Filer