* rxvt sets DISPLAY without X11
@ 2003-09-05 10:16 Hans Werner Strube
From: Hans Werner Strube @ 2003-09-05 10:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

If rxvt is used from the login shell outside X11, without XWin running
and /tmp/.X11-unix/ empty, it nevertheless sets DISPLAY to ':0'.
This even happens if rxvt is started directly from a Windows shortcut:
C:\cygwin\bin\rxvt.exe -e /bin/bash --login
Does this have a special meaning or is it a bug?

* Re: rxvt sets DISPLAY without X11
@ 2003-09-05 15:57 ` Andrew DeFaria
From: Andrew DeFaria @ 2003-09-05 15:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hans Werner Strube wrote:

> If rxvt is used from the login shell outside X11, without XWin running
> and /tmp/.X11-unix/ empty, it nevertheless sets DISPLAY to ':0'. This
> even happens if rxvt is started directly from a Windows shortcut:
> C:\cygwin\bin\rxvt.exe -e /bin/bash --login Does this have a special
> meaning or is it a bug?

rxvt does not set DISPLAY for me. You must be setting it somewhere else
(Windows environment variables perhaps?)

* Re: rxvt sets DISPLAY without X11
@ 2003-09-05 16:50   ` Rolf Campbell
From: Rolf Campbell @ 2003-09-05 16:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Andrew DeFaria wrote:
> Hans Werner Strube wrote:
>
>> If rxvt is used from the login shell outside X11, without XWin running
>> and /tmp/.X11-unix/ empty, it nevertheless sets DISPLAY to ':0'. This
>> even happens if rxvt is started directly from a Windows shortcut:
>> C:\cygwin\bin\rxvt.exe -e /bin/bash --login Does this have a special
>> meaning or is it a bug?
>

> rxvt does not set DISPLAY for me. You must be setting it somewhere else
> (Windows environment variables perhaps?)

It does set it for me.  And it is RXVT that sets it.

RXVT:
/home/rcampbell> set | grep DISPLAY
DISPLAY=:0
/home/rcampbell>

WINNT console:

@ 2003-09-05 19:23   ` Igor Pechtchanski
From: Igor Pechtchanski @ 2003-09-05 19:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew DeFaria; +Cc: cygwin

On Fri, 5 Sep 2003, Andrew DeFaria wrote:

> Hans Werner Strube wrote:
>
> > If rxvt is used from the login shell outside X11, without XWin running
> > and /tmp/.X11-unix/ empty, it nevertheless sets DISPLAY to ':0'. This
> > even happens if rxvt is started directly from a Windows shortcut:
> > C:\cygwin\bin\rxvt.exe -e /bin/bash --login Does this have a special
> > meaning or is it a bug?
>
> rxvt does not set DISPLAY for me. You must be setting it somewhere else
> (Windows environment variables perhaps?)

Andrew,

rxvt seems to explicitly set DISPLAY to ":0" if it's not set in the
environment or passed in (see rxvt_init_resources() in init.c:535).  If
you run 'rxvt -e "bash --login -i -x"', you should be able to see where
DISPLAY is unset in your environment.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

* Re: rxvt sets DISPLAY without X11
@ 2003-09-06  4:38     ` Andrew DeFaria
From: Andrew DeFaria @ 2003-09-06  4:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Rolf Campbell wrote:

> Andrew DeFaria wrote:
>
>> Hans Werner Strube wrote:
>>
>>> If rxvt is used from the login shell outside X11, without XWin
>>> running and /tmp/.X11-unix/ empty, it nevertheless sets DISPLAY to
>>> ':0'. This even happens if rxvt is started directly from a Windows
>>> shortcut:
>>> C:\cygwin\bin\rxvt.exe -e /bin/bash --login Does this have a special
>>> meaning or is it a bug?
>>
>> rxvt does not set DISPLAY for me. You must be setting it somewhere
>> else (Windows environment variables perhaps?)
>
> It does set it for me.  And it is RXVT that sets it.
>
> RXVT:
> /home/rcampbell> set | grep DISPLAY
> DISPLAY=:0
> /home/rcampbell>
>

> WINNT console:
> /home/rcampbell> set | grep DISPLAY
> /home/rcampbell>

Open mouth and insert foot! Mea Cupla! It does for me too. I just failed
to check. I assumed that if DISPLAY was set and I did an rxvt from
within the rxvt that it would only work if DISPLAY was unset or it
pointed to a running X Server. Yet I can rxvt from within an rxvt
without X and get another rxvt.

Sorry I should have checked.