From: Igor Pechtchanski <pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu>
To: tim.gunter@bioscrypt.com
Cc: cygwin@cygwin.com
Subject: Re: Setup cant open package database error?
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 21:00:00 -0000	[thread overview]

On Wed, 24 Sep 2003, Tim Gunter wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 24, 2003 at 03:40:09PM -0400, Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
> > If you moved the tarballs, setup won't be able to find them, and will
> > re-download them.  The log files don't matter, and will be created anew
> > (the ones that matter sit in /var/log, anyway).
>
> i have not moved any of the tarballs that the last few updates have
> downloaded, only tarballs from some months ago. when i look in the
> directory where the new tarballs are supposed to be going, there
> are no recently modified files except for setup.ini. shouldn't
> there be the tarballs for the files setup is downloading and trying
> to install?

The setup package cache is just what it says: a cache.  If you wish, you
can blow the whole thing away, and setup will reconstruct it eventually.
Some of the older (unneeded) packages will not be re-downloaded.  For a
smarter way to clean your cache, search this list for "clean_setup.pl".

> > Make sure /etc/setup and /etc/setup/installed.db are writeable by you.
>
> both are writeable by me. installed.db, however, is an empty file.
> there are installed.db.new and installed.db.old files which are
> both non-empty.
>
> any ideas?
> thanks for your help Igor.
> --tim

Setup doesn't overwrite /etc/setup/installed.db in place.  Instead it
creates /etc/setup/installed.db.new, writes the necessary content to it,
then removes /etc/setup/installed.db and renames the .new file.  I'm
guessing the remove operation fails for you -- check the Windows ACLs on
/etc/setup, is your user allowed to delete files?
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu