* papers
@ 2003-09-26 11:42 Cristina Fischer
From: Cristina Fischer @ 2003-09-26 11:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Urgent

I am posgraduatio (master degrree) in Brazil I would like use cygwin so that
I can create simulation network

I am new programmer using cygwin. I would like to get

1. when I can get download software cygwin to environment windows 2000

2. I would like to know about
	configurate my hardware(setup) to run cywin
	manual and so on

Thank you very much
Engineer Maria Cristina Fischer de Toledo
Rua Valparaiso, 132
Perdizes - São Paulo
Brasil
CEP; 05011-010
email : cristinaft@osite.com.br
email : maria.toledo@poli.usp.br

* Re: How to install Cygwin
@ 2003-09-26 13:58 ` Igor Pechtchanski
From: Igor Pechtchanski @ 2003-09-26 13:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cristina Fischer; +Cc: cygwin

Christina,

Replies inline below.

<http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/setup-net.html>

> 2. I would like to know about
>         configurate my hardware(setup) to run cywin

You generally don't need to configure your hardware to run Cygwin.  Cygwin
is a software emulation layer *on top* of Windows.  If your Windows runs,
so should Cygwin.

>         manual and so on

Most of the information about Cygwin is on the Cygwin web site
(<http://cygwin.com/>) and in the mailing list archives
(<http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/>).  There is a "cygwin-doc" documentation
package that contains the User's guide, the FAQ, and some other things, in
case you prefer having the files on your local machine instead of online.
You install "cygwin-doc" using the setup.exe application (which you'll
read about in the link I provided for question #1), and it should add a
Start Menu item for Cygwin documentation.

> Thank you very much
> Engineer Maria Cristina Fischer de Toledo

Hope this helps,
	Igor
P.S. It would have helped to have a better subject in your message (see
the one I've changed it to).  I almost dismissed your message as SPAM
based on the subject.  Just FYI.
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

* Re: papers
@ 2003-09-26 23:23 ` David Christensen
From: David Christensen @ 2003-09-26 23:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

cygwin@cygwin.com:

Cristina Fischer wrote:
> I am posgraduatio (master degrree) in Brazil I would like use cygwin
> so that I can create simulation network
> I am new programmer using cygwin. I would like to get
> 1. when I can get download software cygwin to environment windows 2000
> 2. I would like to know about configurate my hardware(setup) to run
>    cywin
> manual and so on

Understand that Cygwin is a port of the GNU software tool suite to
Windows.  It includes many programs, including shells, editors,
interpreters, compilers, linkers, etc..  If you are familiar with
GNU/Linux and the Bash shell, it should be a comfortable environment.
If not, I recommend that you read the following books:

    Cameron Newham & Bill Rosenblatt, 1998, "Learning the Bash Shell",
    2 ed., O'Reilly & Associates, ISBN 1-56592-347-2.

    Jerry Peek, Grace Todino, & John Strang, 1998, "Learning the UNIX
    Operating System", 4 ed., O'Reilly & Associates, ISBN 1-56592-390-1.

Cygwin works fine on Windows 2000 (what I use).

To get Cygwin onto a Windows computer, I first download the Cygwin Setup
program from:

    http://www.cygwin.com/

Look for the icon labeled "Install or update now! (using setup.exe)".
Download setup.exe to your hard disk.  I recommend the following
location (create directories as necessary):

    C:\cygwin\setup\setup.exe

Next, read the instructions for using Cygwin Setup:

    http://www.cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/setup-net.html

I prefer to download packages from the Internet and then install them.
This requires running Cygwin Setup twice -- once to download the
packages and a second time to install the packages.  There is also a
third option for installing directly from the Internet, but having the
packages on your hard drive can be useful from time to time.

I also prefer to download and install only the base packages first.  I
have Cygwin Setup create the Start menu and desktop icons on this pass.
I then "test drive" Cygwin and make any necessary adjustments (.bashrc,
.bash_profile, .vimrc, .inputrc, etc.).

I then repeat the download/install process for whatever other packages I
want.  I skip the icon creation process.  For your programming needs,
you will likely want to download and install packages in the
"Development" category.

As for manuals, I mostly use the Cygwin Bash shell.  Thus, "man" and
"info" are what I use the most.  You may also find HTML documentation on
the web and/or in the Cygwin installation tree (look under
C:\cygwin\usr\doc\).

HTH,

David

* Re: papers
@ 2003-09-27  0:27   ` Igor Pechtchanski
From: Igor Pechtchanski @ 2003-09-27  0:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Christensen; +Cc: cygwin

On Fri, 26 Sep 2003, David Christensen wrote:

> [snip]
> I prefer to download packages from the Internet and then install them.
> This requires running Cygwin Setup twice -- once to download the
> packages and a second time to install the packages.  There is also a
> third option for installing directly from the Internet, but having the
> packages on your hard drive can be useful from time to time.

FYI, "Install from Internet" is exactly the same as "Download from
Internet" and "Install from Local Directory".  The packages are saved in
the package cache regardless.

> [snip]
> As for manuals, I mostly use the Cygwin Bash shell.  Thus, "man" and
> "info" are what I use the most.  You may also find HTML documentation on
> the web and/or in the Cygwin installation tree (look under
> C:\cygwin\usr\doc\).

The HTML and other manuals for Cygwin itself are contained in the
"cygwin-doc" package, which is not in the "Base" category, so it will have
to be installed explicitly (by either selecting everything, or selecting
that individual package).  Once it's installed, it should add some Start
Menu links to the Cygwin documentation.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

* RE: papers
@ 2003-09-27 20:34     ` Hannu E K Nevalainen (garbage mail)
From: Hannu E K Nevalainen (garbage mail) @ 2003-09-27 20:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> From: Igor Pechtchanski

> The HTML and other manuals for Cygwin itself are contained in the
> "cygwin-doc" package, which is not in the "Base" category, so it will have
> to be installed explicitly (by either selecting everything, or selecting
> that individual package).  Once it's installed, it should add some Start
> Menu links to the Cygwin documentation.
> 	Igor

Igor:
It adds the start _menu shortcuts_ if and only if the "Start -> Program ->
Cygwin" folder exists (For "All users" or the current user). Neat and tidy.

To add to that, for beginners:
Answer YES to "add Bash shortcut to start menu" on the last setup screen to
get the Cygwin start menu folder created - unless you wish to do it
manually.

Unless the above condition is met they're accessible via
 /usr/share/doc/cygwin-doc-1.3/
only.

Note that
$ cygstart filename
works nicely, assuming that .pdf and .html are associated to apropriate
tools.

/Hannu E K Nevalainen, B.Sc. EE - 59?16.37'N, 17?12.60'E
-- UTC+01, DST -> UTC+02  --
--END OF MESSAGE--