* relocatable cygwin installation
@ 2003-10-14 18:04 Daniel Edwards
From: Daniel Edwards @ 2003-10-14 18:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

hello,

I have an installation of cygwin which for both convenice and consistency
reasons should be shared between multiple users on many machines.  This is
under a source control system so that each user is guaranteed to use the
same utilities, on any machine, without having to undergo the installation
process (even though the cygwin install is now quite slick, we have to deal
with many other app too).
Each user will view the cygwin installation from a different installation
directory (e.g user dave will see it as n:\dave\cygwin whilst bob would see
it via n:\bob\cygwin).  when tackling the install as a different user I
remount the default paths but i get problems running via the shell.  i can
not change to dir / even though this is mounted.

If i go back to the original installation dir (and reconfigure my mounts)
all works well again.  I'm assuming there is something obvious that i've
missed here, but i could only find mount related issues in the mail archive

dan

* Re: relocatable cygwin installation
@ 2003-10-14 18:19 ` Igor Pechtchanski
From: Igor Pechtchanski @ 2003-10-14 18:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Edwards; +Cc: cygwin

On Tue, 14 Oct 2003, Daniel Edwards wrote:

> hello,
>
> I have an installation of cygwin which for both convenice and consistency
> reasons should be shared between multiple users on many machines.  This is
> under a source control system so that each user is guaranteed to use the
> same utilities, on any machine, without having to undergo the installation
> process (even though the cygwin install is now quite slick, we have to deal
> with many other app too).
> Each user will view the cygwin installation from a different installation
> directory (e.g user dave will see it as n:\dave\cygwin whilst bob would see
> it via n:\bob\cygwin).  when tackling the install as a different user I
> remount the default paths but i get problems running via the shell.  i can
> not change to dir / even though this is mounted.
>
> If i go back to the original installation dir (and reconfigure my mounts)
> all works well again.  I'm assuming there is something obvious that i've
> missed here, but i could only find mount related issues in the mail archive
>
> dan

User mounts take precedence over system ones.  Log in as "dave", then
"mount -fub n:/dave/cygwin /; mount -fub n:/dave/cygwin/bin /usr/bin;
mount -fub n:/dave/cygwin/lib /usr/lib".  Repeat the procedure for every
other user that needs to access Cygwin.  Also, be aware that ntsec
settings on shared drives are controlled by "smbntsec".
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu