* Re: Cygwin Setup 99% (fwd)
@ 2003-10-15 17:58 Igor Pechtchanski
From: Igor Pechtchanski @ 2003-10-15 17:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I thought this might be useful on the main Cygwin list as well...
	Igor

From: Brian Ford @ 2003-10-15 18:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Well, as the doctor says, "If it hurts, don't do that".  I think the best
suggestion right now is just to run setup from a bash shell.  Then all is
fine.  Well, at least if you haven't already started the other way.

--
Brian Ford
Senior Realtime Software Engineer

* RE: Cygwin Setup 99% (fwd)
@ 2003-10-23 10:10     ` Hannu E K Nevalainen
From: Igor Pechtchanski @ 2003-10-23  8:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hannu E K Nevalainen; +Cc: cygwin

@ 2003-10-22 23:10 ` Hannu E K Nevalainen
From: Rao, Shrisha @ 2003-10-22 20:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hannu E K Nevalainen; +Cc: cygwin

On October 22, 2003, Hannu E K Nevalainen wrote:

> Rao:
> > It is, and I downloaded and installed it, but the problems continue
> > (kill -9 ... and latex still hang).
>
>  Might it be that there was /etc/postinstall/*sh scripts that didn't
get
> executed - or maybe something went wrong?
>
>  I'd try a "All @ Reinstall" from "local package directory"

I have tried that, and it hasn't helped.  But you're right; the
postinstall hangs at /etc/postinstall/base-files-mketc.sh,
.../texmf**.sh, and so on.  (I've seen postings about XFree86 scripts
hanging, but not about these.)

I tried the suggestions for kill -9 and also for using Windows task
manager to kill off cygwin.exe, but neither worked.  (There *is* no
cygwin.exe running when /etc/postinstall/base-files-mketc.sh hangs, and
killing the various sh.exe's causes setup to complete, create the icons,
etc., but of course things are not properly set up.)

Regards,

Shrisha Rao

> /Hannu E K Nevalainen, B.Sc. EE - 59?16.37'N, 17?12.60'E
> -- printf("Timezone: %s\n", (DST)?"UTC+02":"UTC+01"); --
> --END OF MESSAGE--

* RE: Cygwin Setup 99% (fwd)
@ 2003-10-22 20:43 ` Hannu E K Nevalainen

@ 2003-10-22 10:00 ` Andy Rushton
From: Andy Rushton @ 2003-10-22 10:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rao, Shrisha; +Cc: cygwin

The solution I found to setup hanging was to use the Windows Task
Manager to kill the cygpath process (not the setup process) that causes
the hang. This enables setup to complete the rest of the install. The
reason nothing quite works for you is that setup runs post-install
scripts at the end and if you kill setup when it hangs, these scripts
don't all get run.

I presume that killing this process will still cause something to
misbehave because some part of the install has failed - but I haven't
found what that problem might be yet.

--
Andy Rushton, Research Fellow, School of ECS, Southampton University
address: rm 3053, Mountbatten Building (53)

* RE: Cygwin Setup 99% (fwd)
@ 2003-10-21 19:20 Rao, Shrisha
From: Rao, Shrisha @ 2003-10-21 19:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On October 21, 2003, Igor Pechtchanski wrote:

> On Tue, 21 Oct 2003, Rao, Shrisha wrote:

> > However, strangely, the "kill -9 ..." sequence you suggested itself
> > hangs within this bash shell.  (Actually, when the shell comes up it
> > does not know the right PATH, but this was easily fixed with
> > PATH="/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin:$PATH".)
> >
> > Some commands work within the shell and some don't; e.g., tar and
bzip2
> > work separately but tar -xjf doesn't (no error, just hangs).
Likewise,
> > latex hangs saying "kpathsea: running mktexfmt latexfmt".

> It was shown to be a bash bug (pipes left open on spawn, see
> <http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2003-10/msg01166.html>).  A new
bash-2.05b-16
> should be on some mirrors already.

It is, and I downloaded and installed it, but the problems continue
(kill -9 ... and latex still hang).

However, bash now has a default PATH including /usr/local/bin, /usr/bin,
and /bin.

Regards,

Shrisha Rao

> 	Igor

* RE: Cygwin Setup 99% (fwd)
@ 2003-10-21 17:17 ` Igor Pechtchanski
From: Igor Pechtchanski @ 2003-10-21 17:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rao, Shrisha; +Cc: cygwin

On Tue, 21 Oct 2003, Rao, Shrisha wrote:

> On Tuesday, October 16, 2003, Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
>
> > Shrisha,
> >
> > The Cygwin list does allow posts from non-subscribers, but puts them
> > through spam filter checks, and sometimes does not let messages
> > through. To find out how to be able to post without being flooded by
> > e-mail, see <http://cygwin.com/ml/lists.html#rbl-sucks>.  I'm
> > directing the reply to the list, though.
>
> Thanks.  I hope this message makes it.

It did.

@ 2003-10-21 17:06 Rao, Shrisha
From: Rao, Shrisha @ 2003-10-21 17:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Tuesday, October 16, 2003, Igor Pechtchanski wrote:

> Shrisha,
>
> The Cygwin list does allow posts from non-subscribers, but puts them
> through spam filter checks, and sometimes does not let messages
through.
> To find out how to be able to post without being flooded by e-mail,
see
> <http://cygwin.com/ml/lists.html#rbl-sucks>.  I'm directing the reply
> the list, though.

Thanks.  I hope this message makes it.

> On Thu, 16 Oct 2003, Rao, Shrisha wrote:

> > I cannot open a bash shell when the setup hangs, because Windows
reports
> > a "Missing Shortcut" called cygwin.bat.  Suggestions?  Thanks for
your
> > time.

> You can always do a "cd c:\cygwin\bin" and ".\bash.exe --login -i"
from a
> cmd.exe shell, which would be equivalent to the standard cygwin.bat.
The
> above suggested commands can then be run from that shell.

I did that and got a bash shell, thanks much.

However, strangely, the "kill -9 ..." sequence you suggested itself
hangs within this bash shell.  (Actually, when the shell comes up it
does not know the right PATH, but this was easily fixed with
PATH="/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin:$PATH".)

Some commands work within the shell and some don't; e.g., tar and bzip2
work separately but tar -xjf doesn't (no error, just hangs).  Likewise,
latex hangs saying "kpathsea: running mktexfmt latexfmt".

Regards,

Shrisha Rao

> 	Igor

* Re: Cygwin Setup 99% (fwd)
       [not found] <D63200D2D5DF7D4D8F27C94C8CFC586A169509@oxygen.mtmercy.edu>
@ 2003-10-17  6:47 ` Igor Pechtchanski
From: Igor Pechtchanski @ 2003-10-17  6:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rao, Shrisha; +Cc: cygwin

Shrisha,

The Cygwin list does allow posts from non-subscribers, but puts them
through spam filter checks, and sometimes does not let messages through.
To find out how to be able to post without being flooded by e-mail, see
<http://cygwin.com/ml/lists.html#rbl-sucks>.  I'm directing the reply to
the list, though.

Reply below.