* Program too big to fit in memory - Previous hints didn't work
@ 2003-10-16 18:25 E G
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: E G @ 2003-10-16 18:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi,

I have the latest Cygwin/cygnome environment (Cygwin 1.5.5.1 dll) installed
two weeks ago for compiling a working program already tested in linux and
solaris. The program uses the X libraries Xt, Xpm, Xaw and X11 in an
interface window written in C and runs a program written in Fortran.

I compiled the interface program written in C (xgraph.c) using gcc -x -o
xgraph.o xgraph.c -I/usr/X11R6/include and it created the object file
without problems.

I then compiled the fortran code and linked the libraries and required
object files -including the C program- as I did in Linux (I just changed the
paths for the includes and the libraries) and the names of the libraries (
-lXpm -> -lXpm.dll, -lX11 ->-lX11.dll). It compiled fine and I got my object
dependencies ok and the exe file without problems. But, when I tried to run
the program I got a "Program too big to fit in memory" error message and it
didn't run. The program is 1.4 MB and my computer has 256 MB RAM and 9 GB
hard disk free space (defragmented, i.e., single chunk).

I run the max_memory program included in Chapter 3 of the users manual I
think, and it reports 1560 kB. So I'm discarding real memory problems.

I have tried:
1. increasing Cygwin memory restriction using regtool  for
memory_chunk_in_mb to set 2048 kB. Nope.
2. compiling the code with -fconserve-space, -fno-inline, -Wl... heap and
stack.... They Reduce the exe file size a bit, but still didn't work.
Program too big to fit in memory.
3. stripping the exe file using strip -s <exe_file>. Reduces the size of the
executable by 1/3 but still getting the same error message.

I run out of options, so I hope someone can give a hint what to do to make
my program run.

Thanks,

Elkin
4rd Yr Aerospace Eng student @ Ryerson.ca

* Re: Program too big to fit in memory - Previous hints didn't work
@ 2003-10-16 19:32 ` Brian Ford
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Brian Ford @ 2003-10-16 19:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Could you please attach cygcheck output as requested in
http://www.cygwin.com/problems.html ?

WAG: what gcc version are you using?

--
Brian Ford
Senior Realtime Software Engineer

* Re: Program too big to fit in memory - Previous hints didn't work
@ 2003-10-16 19:48 ` Rolf Campbell
From: Rolf Campbell @ 2003-10-16 19:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

E G wrote:
> I run the max_memory program included in Chapter 3 of the users manual I
> think, and it reports 1560 kB. So I'm discarding real memory problems.
Well, that's the problem, you only have 1.5 Megs of ram free.

* Re: Program too big to fit in memory - Previous hints didn't work
@ 2003-10-19  0:22   ` Elkin
From: Elkin @ 2003-10-19  0:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Brian,

I posted the cygcheck results as you suggest me. I'll appreciate any further
suggestion you may have.

Elkin

@ 2003-10-19  5:26 ` Gerrit P. Haase
From: Gerrit P. Haase @ 2003-10-19  5:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: E G; +Cc: cygwin

Hallo E,

[...]

> the program I got a "Program too big to fit in memory" error message and it

[...]

> I run out of options, so I hope someone can give a hint what to do to make
> my program run.

What says `chycheck yourexe.exe`? You'll also need to count the Bytes
wihch are eaten by the DLL's loaded.

What about debugging?  Have you tried to run the exe under gdb?

Is the code open sourced, can you offer a tarball so someone(me) may
try to reproduce it?

Gerrit
--
=^..^=

* Re: Program too big to fit in memory - Previous hints didn't work
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2003-10-20  1:53 ` Elkin
From: Elkin @ 2003-10-20  1:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Thanks all you guys for your help.

Gerrit has solved the problem -thanks a lot Gerrit- and the program runs in
my pc

I'm afraid the error prompt was a bit misleading but I don't understand yet
why it was raised.

Elkin

@ 2003-10-17  7:13 Jörg Schaible
From: Jörg Schaible @ 2003-10-17  7:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi Elkin,

E G wrote on Thursday, October 16, 2003 7:47 PM:
> I then compiled the fortran code and linked the libraries and required
> object files -including the C program- as I did in Linux (I
> just changed the
> paths for the includes and the libraries) and the names of
> the libraries (
> -lXpm -> -lXpm.dll, -lX11 ->-lX11.dll). It compiled fine and
> I got my object
> dependencies ok and the exe file without problems. But, when
> I tried to run
> the program I got a "Program too big to fit in memory" error
> message and it
> didn't run. The program is 1.4 MB and my computer has 256 MB
> RAM and 9 GB
> hard disk free space (defragmented, i.e., single chunk).

unfortunately I have to tell you that this problem may not be Cygwin related at all. Try googling for "Program too big to fit in memory" and you will see, that this error occurs in very obscure situations for all kind of applications normally running without problem. And that you'll not find any true reason or solution for it. I was struck by this error the last time when I tried to call the MS SQL setup (to install it in a VMware instance) and it terminated always immediately for no real reason. Starting setup from the commad line I got the error message from above. The error went away when I told VMware to provide access to the CD-Rom in raw mode (but do not ask me why this is related with the error, I had plenty of memory). The error is raised by the OS itself i.e. the OS refused to run the application at all and gives the error message.

Did you try to run your app on another machine? I would not be surprised, if it works like charm. Did you tried to run other big Cygwin applications like KDE for Cygwin?

Regards,
Jörg