* RE: wtf wtf
@ 2003-11-03 13:24 kevin.lawton
From: kevin.lawton @ 2003-11-03 13:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: david, cygwin

Have you tried typing 'man man' (without the quotes) ? ? ?

From: zzapper @ 2003-11-03 15:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Mon, 3 Nov 2003 13:24:11 -0000, <kevin.lawton@bt.com> wrote:

>Have you tried typing 'man man' (without the quotes) ? ? ?
I think you misunderstand my question . the WTF MAN page contained no
examples, that would have saved a 1000 words.BTW I've been using unix
since 1984.

What I really want to know is why there are so few acronyms in WTF,
does anyone have bigger datafiles??

zzapper
--

@ 2003-11-03 20:07   ` Shankar Unni
From: Shankar Unni @ 2003-11-03 20:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

zzapper wrote:

> What I really want to know is why there are so few acronyms in WTF,
> does anyone have bigger datafiles??

Because as distributed, it was not intended to be a universal acronym
dictionary (which could run to millions of acronyms).

WTF has generally been used to expand acronyms for phrases used in
typical mailing list/newsgroup settings (e.g. IMO, etc.)

But hey, if someone has the energy to create *and maintain* a univeral
acronym library, go for it!

* Re: wtf wtf
@ 2003-11-03 20:35     ` zzapper
From: zzapper @ 2003-11-03 20:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

 Shankar Unni

>> What I really want to know is why there are so few acronyms in WTF,
>> does anyone have bigger datafiles??
>
>Because as distributed, it was not intended to be a universal acronym
>dictionary (which could run to millions of acronyms).
>
>WTF has generally been used to expand acronyms for phrases used in
>typical mailing list/newsgroup settings (e.g. IMO, etc.)
>
>But hey, if someone has the energy to create *and maintain* a univeral
>acronym library, go for it!

What does the conversion to a DAT file achieve?? save a bit of
space/speed search?

zzapper
--

@ 2003-11-03 23:24       ` Igor Pechtchanski
From: Igor Pechtchanski @ 2003-11-03 23:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zzapper; +Cc: cygwin

On Mon, 3 Nov 2003, zzapper wrote:

>  Shankar Unni
> >
> >> What I really want to know is why there are so few acronyms in WTF,
> >> does anyone have bigger datafiles??
> >
> >Because as distributed, it was not intended to be a universal acronym
> >dictionary (which could run to millions of acronyms).
> >
> >WTF has generally been used to expand acronyms for phrases used in
> >typical mailing list/newsgroup settings (e.g. IMO, etc.)
> >
> >But hey, if someone has the energy to create *and maintain* a univeral
> >acronym library, go for it!
> >

> What does the conversion to a DAT file achieve?? save a bit of
> space/speed search?
>
> zzapper

The latter.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

* wtf wtf
@ 2003-11-02 12:10 zzapper
From: zzapper @ 2003-11-02 12:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Having been alerted to the useful ANTIWORD by this NG (Thanx Very
Much) , I also happened across WTF

wtf "translates acronyms and filename suffixes for you"

I installed and naivelly typed > wtf gsm
Nowt happened. From reading the brief man page,
I realised that the datafiles were in /usr/share/wtf

However the datafiles aren't very large/comprehensive which makes the
tool rather useless. I can generate my own datafiles with wtfindex.
But cannot see what WTF gives me that a simple grep couldn't do just
as well.

My main GRUMBLE however is that Yet Another Man Page which gives no
examples eg