* RE: python and cygwin
@ 2004-02-20 23:54 DePriest, Jason R.
From: DePriest, Jason R. @ 2004-02-20 23:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Cygwin aims to do both.

It provides *nix tools running on Windows from a DLL implemented POSIX
environment.  Or something like that.

There are other places to get some of the GNU tools ported to Win32
without the cygwin1.dll requirement.  However, you do not get the full
benefits of a robust and maintained *nix-ish development environment.

So either cygwin meets your needs or it doesn't.

In your case, what cygwin provides might be overkill.

http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/overview.html
[quote]Cygwin is a Linux-like environment for Windows. It consists of a
DLL (cygwin1.dll), which acts as an emulation layer providing
substantial POSIX (Portable Operating System Interface) system call
functionality, and a collection of tools, which provide a Linux look and
feel. The Cygwin DLL works with all x86 versions of Windows since
Windows 95.[/quote]

* RE: python and cygwin
@ 2004-02-21 18:45 Totte Karlsson
From: Totte Karlsson @ 2004-02-21 18:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Larry Hall ', Totte Karlsson, 'cygwin@cygwin.com '

Thanks,
I appreciate your reply very much! I needed to hear something like that in
order to "stop", unfortunately..
/totte

From: Totte Karlsson @ 2004-02-20 22:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi, I want to run my python scripts in a cygwin bash shell, but have
problems.
It seems as if python don't understand the cygwin path.
If I'm placed in the directory in where the pythonscript is located, it
works fine, if I'm in another directory it don't work. I get the error

python.exe: can't open file '/cygrive ... the path to the
script/theScript.py'

Any suggestions?
I guess it should be straightforward to just setup the paths in .bashrc, but
maybe not!
regards
/totte