* cvs package bug: cannot open val-tags file
@ 2004-07-23 11:02 Gervase Markham
From: Gervase Markham @ 2004-07-23 11:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

[Apologies if this is the wrong place for this bug report - cvshome.org
is so impenetrable that I can't even search to see if this is an
upstream cvs bug or not.]

In Cygwin CVS 1.11.6-3 (but not 1.11.5-1 or 1.11.0-1), when trying to
pull by tag, the following error is encountered:

D:\mozilla>cvs -d //machine/share co -P -r NSPRPUB_PRE_4_2_CLIENT_BRANCH
mozilla/nsprpub
cvs checkout: warning: cannot open //machine/share/CVSROOT/val-tags
read/write
cvs [checkout aborted]: cannot read //machine/share/CVSROOT/val-tags

Many other CVS operations (checkout, checkin, update) seem to work fine
- it's only pulling by tag which fails.

The repository in question is a copy of the Mozilla CVS repository,
rsynced to a Win2K machine using Cygwin rsync and then SMB shared as
readable and writable by all.

The client machines we tried this on were running Win2K or Win2K3.
CVSROOT was "//machine/sharepoint" when we didn't specify it on the
command line. CYGWIN was set to "nontsec". The machine can cat and touch
the val-tags file on the share - it seems that only the CVS process
cannot see it correctly.

We solved the issue by downgrading CVS to 1.11.5-1 using the Cygwin
setup.exe, so the problem is not urgent for us.

If more information is required, please ask. I'm subscribed to the
digest version of the list, so it may take a day or two to get a response.

Many thanks for your time,

Gerv

* Re: cvs package bug: cannot open val-tags file
@ 2004-07-23 15:17 ` Igor Pechtchanski
From: Igor Pechtchanski @ 2004-07-23 15:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gervase Markham; +Cc: cygwin

On Fri, 23 Jul 2004, Gervase Markham wrote:

> [Apologies if this is the wrong place for this bug report - cvshome.org
> is so impenetrable that I can't even search to see if this is an
> upstream cvs bug or not.]
>
> In Cygwin CVS 1.11.6-3 (but not 1.11.5-1 or 1.11.0-1), when trying to
> pull by tag, the following error is encountered:
>
> D:\mozilla>cvs -d //machine/share co -P -r NSPRPUB_PRE_4_2_CLIENT_BRANCH
> mozilla/nsprpub
> cvs checkout: warning: cannot open //machine/share/CVSROOT/val-tags
> read/write
> cvs [checkout aborted]: cannot read //machine/share/CVSROOT/val-tags
>
> Many other CVS operations (checkout, checkin, update) seem to work fine
> - it's only pulling by tag which fails.
>
> The repository in question is a copy of the Mozilla CVS repository,
> rsynced to a Win2K machine using Cygwin rsync and then SMB shared as
> readable and writable by all.
>
> The client machines we tried this on were running Win2K or Win2K3.
> CVSROOT was "//machine/sharepoint" when we didn't specify it on the
> command line. CYGWIN was set to "nontsec". The machine can cat and touch
> the val-tags file on the share - it seems that only the CVS process
> cannot see it correctly.
>
> We solved the issue by downgrading CVS to 1.11.5-1 using the Cygwin
> setup.exe, so the problem is not urgent for us.
>
> If more information is required, please ask. I'm subscribed to the
> digest version of the list, so it may take a day or two to get a response.
>
> Many thanks for your time,
> Gerv

Gerv,

I wonder if it's related to CVS's inability to remove lock directories
from some SMB shares, which I reported back in 2003...  That seems to be
hard to track, because different SMB shares have subtly different access
settings.  In any case, first try adding "nosmbntsec" to your $CYGWIN, and
see if it helps.  I also found that, when using Samba from AIX (don't know
about Linux/Windows), it helps to add the group that owns the repository
to /etc/group, and add the Cygwin user to that group.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu