* Please help on GCC
@ 2005-09-30 16:32 estech users
From: estech users @ 2005-09-30 16:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Dear all,

Somebody helping me on my research work has just
introduced me to your wonderful work.

I am currently using Win XP, I loaded the cygwin just
2 days ago and the version of the cygcheck is 1.74 and
it was compiled on July 2 2005.

My problem now is that the gcc command in not found
and also startx, how do I get this gcc installed
because I purposely  want to use it to compile a c
programs.

Please help and thank you for your good work.

Best wishes,

Olorunfemi, Temitope

* Re: Please help on GCC
@ 2005-09-30 17:59 ` Igor Pechtchanski
From: Igor Pechtchanski @ 2005-09-30 17:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: estech users; +Cc: cygwin

On Fri, 30 Sep 2005, estech users wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> Somebody helping me on my research work has just
> introduced me to your wonderful work.
>
> I am currently using Win XP, I loaded the cygwin just
> 2 days ago and the version of the cygcheck is 1.74 and
> it was compiled on July 2 2005.
>
> My problem now is that the gcc command in not found
> and also startx, how do I get this gcc installed
> because I purposely  want to use it to compile a c
> programs.
>
> Please help and thank you for your good work.

<http://cygwin.com/faq/faq.setup.html#faq.setup.what-packages>.
HTH,
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

* Re: Please help on GCC
@ 2005-09-30 18:24   ` estech users
From: estech users @ 2005-09-30 18:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Dear Sir,

Thanks so much for your quick response. I saw the
packages but how to download the gcc files and install
is the problem, please help me.

Best wishes,

Olorunfemi, Temitope

--- Igor Pechtchanski <pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu> wrote:

> On Fri, 30 Sep 2005, estech users wrote:
>
> > Dear all,
> >
> > Somebody helping me on my research work has just
> > introduced me to your wonderful work.
> >
> > I am currently using Win XP, I loaded the cygwin
> just
> > 2 days ago and the version of the cygcheck is 1.74
> and
> > it was compiled on July 2 2005.
> >
> > My problem now is that the gcc command in not
> found
> > and also startx, how do I get this gcc installed
> > because I purposely  want to use it to compile a c
> > programs.
> >
> > Please help and thank you for your good work.

<http://cygwin.com/faq/faq.setup.html#faq.setup.what-packages>.
> HTH,
> 	Igor
> --
> 				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
>       |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu
> ZZZzz /,`.-'`'    -.  ;-;;,_		igor@watson.ibm.com
>      |,4-  ) )-,_. ,\ (  `'-'		Igor Pechtchanski,
> Ph.D.
>     '---''(_/--'  `-'\_) fL	a.k.a
> JaguaR-R-R-r-r-r-.-.-.  Meow!
>
> If there's any real truth it's that the entire
> multidimensional infinity
> of the Universe is almost certainly being run by a
> bunch of maniacs. /DA

* Re: Please help on GCC
@ 2005-09-30 18:58     ` Igor Pechtchanski
                         ` (2 more replies)
From: Igor Pechtchanski @ 2005-09-30 18:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: estech users; +Cc: cygwin

Ugh, top-posting...  Reformatted.

<http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#PCYMTNQREAIYR>.  Thanks.

> > On Fri, 30 Sep 2005, estech users wrote:
> >
> > > Dear all,
> > >
> > > Somebody helping me on my research work has just
> > > introduced me to your wonderful work.
> > >
> > > I am currently using Win XP, I loaded the cygwin just
> > > 2 days ago and the version of the cygcheck is 1.74 and
> > > it was compiled on July 2 2005.

BTW, I forgot to mention that this is not how you find out the version of
Cygwin you have.  See <http://cygwin.com/problems.html> for instructions
on providing information about your Cygwin installation.

> > > My problem now is that the gcc command in not found
> > > and also startx, how do I get this gcc installed
> > > because I purposely  want to use it to compile a c
> > > programs.
> > >
> > > Please help and thank you for your good work.
> >
> > <http://cygwin.com/faq/faq.setup.html#faq.setup.what-packages>.
>
> Dear Sir,
>
> Thanks so much for your quick response. I saw the
> packages but how to download the gcc files and install
> is the problem, please help me.

I believe <http://cygwin.com/faq/faq.setup.html#faq.setup.setup> is what
you're looking for.  It may be worth changing the first FAQ entry to
mention that installing extra packages happens using the same setup.exe...

If you are using setup, but having problems with installation, please
provide the exact steps you use to reproduce the problems, any error
messages you get, and other information requested in the Cygwin problem
reporting guidelines at <http://cygwin.com/problems.html>.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

* Re: Please help on GCC
@ 2005-10-01  7:50       ` estech users
From: estech users @ 2005-10-01  7:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Thanks so much it works fine.

best wishes,

Olorunfemi, Temitope

--- Igor Pechtchanski <pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu> wrote:

> Ugh, top-posting...  Reformatted.
>
> On Fri, 30 Sep 2005, estech users wrote:
>
> > --- Igor Pechtchanski <pechtcha@XX.XXX.XXX> wrote:
>
> <http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#PCYMTNQREAIYR>.
> Thanks.

> just

> cygwin just
> 1.74 and
>
> BTW, I forgot to mention that this is not how you
> find out the version of
> Cygwin you have.  See
> <http://cygwin.com/problems.html> for instructions
> on providing information about your Cygwin
> installation.

> found
> installed
> a c

<http://cygwin.com/faq/faq.setup.html#faq.setup.what-packages>.

> > Dear Sir,
> >
> > Thanks so much for your quick response. I saw the
> > packages but how to download the gcc files and
> install
> > is the problem, please help me.
>
> I believe

<http://cygwin.com/faq/faq.setup.html#faq.setup.setup>
> is what
> you're looking for.  It may be worth changing the
> first FAQ entry to
> mention that installing extra packages happens using
> the same setup.exe...
>
> If you are using setup, but having problems with
> installation, please
> provide the exact steps you use to reproduce the
> problems, any error
> messages you get, and other information requested in
> the Cygwin problem
> reporting guidelines at
> <http://cygwin.com/problems.html>.
> 	Igor
> --
> 				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
>       |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu
> ZZZzz /,`.-'`'    -.  ;-;;,_		igor@watson.ibm.com
>      |,4-  ) )-,_. ,\ (  `'-'		Igor Pechtchanski,
> Ph.D.
>     '---''(_/--'  `-'\_) fL	a.k.a
> JaguaR-R-R-r-r-r-.-.-.  Meow!
>
> If there's any real truth it's that the entire
> multidimensional infinity
> of the Universe is almost certainly being run by a
> bunch of maniacs. /DA

* Re: Please help on GCC
@ 2005-10-01 15:15       ` estech users
From: estech users @ 2005-10-01 15:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Dear Sir,

Top of the day to you. Thanks so much for yesterday.

Please Sir, I am now okay with the gcc but I now
wanted to install gmp 3.1.1 can you help me with this?
I have already downloaded the gmp file but i couldnt
configure or make it.

Thank you Sir.

* Re: Please help on GCC
@ 2005-10-01 16:41         ` Buster
From: Buster @ 2005-10-01 16:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> Please Sir, I am now okay with the gcc but I now
> wanted to install gmp 3.1.1 can you help me with this?
> I have already downloaded the gmp file but i couldnt
> configure or make it.

Use 'Setup.exe' to install Cygwin's gmp package. When you see the list
of packages, change the 'Category' to 'Full' to list all the available
packages alphabetically.

* Re: Please help on GCC
@ 2005-10-01 16:51           ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2005-10-01 16:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Sat, Oct 01, 2005 at 05:41:42PM +0100, Buster wrote:
>>Please Sir, I am now okay with the gcc but I now wanted to install gmp
>>3.1.1 can you help me with this?  I have already downloaded the gmp
>>file but i couldnt configure or make it.
>
>Use 'Setup.exe' to install Cygwin's gmp package.  When you see the list
>of packages, change the 'Category' to 'Full' to list all the available
>packages alphabetically.

I think I'm noticing a definite trend here...

cgf

* Re: Please help on GCC
@ 2005-10-01 17:38             ` Buster
From: Buster @ 2005-10-01 17:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 01/10/05, Christopher Faylor <cgf-no-personal-reply-please@cygwin.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 01, 2005 at 05:41:42PM +0100, Buster wrote:
> >>Please Sir, I am now okay with the gcc but I now wanted to install gmp
> >>3.1.1 can you help me with this?  I have already downloaded the gmp
> >>file but i couldnt configure or make it.
> >
> >Use 'Setup.exe' to install Cygwin's gmp package.  When you see the list
> >of packages, change the 'Category' to 'Full' to list all the available
> >packages alphabetically.
>
> I think I'm noticing a definite trend here...

That trend being "If you ask about installation, the answer tends to
be 'use setup'"?

* Re: Please help on GCC
@ 2005-10-02  2:10               ` Larry Hall
From: Larry Hall @ 2005-10-02  2:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Buster, cygwin

At 01:36 PM 10/1/2005, you wrote:

>> >Use 'Setup.exe' to install Cygwin's gmp package.  When you see the list
>> >of packages, change the 'Category' to 'Full' to list all the available
>> >packages alphabetically.
>>
>> I think I'm noticing a definite trend here...
>
>That trend being "If you ask about installation, the answer tends to
>be 'use setup'"?

Oh geez, I sense an imminent email thread recursion!

Holliston, MA 01746

* Re: Please help on GCC
@ 2005-10-22  9:19       ` estech users
From: estech users @ 2005-10-22  9:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin, pechtcha

Dear all,

Please can you enlighten me on why it is more
advantageous to use gcc rather that Microsoft
studio.net visual c ?

Thank you.

* Re: Please help on GCC
@ 2005-10-22 15:18         ` Eric Blake
From: Eric Blake @ 2005-10-22 15:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: estech users; +Cc: cygwin

* Re: Please help on GCC
@ 2005-10-22 15:37           ` estech users
From: estech users @ 2005-10-22 15:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Blake, cygwin

Dear Sir,

Thanks for yours.

But is there any advantage of using GCC over MS
products when it comes to the issue of security?

Best wishes,

Olorunfemi, Temitope

--- Eric Blake <ebb9@byu.net> wrote:

* Re: Please help on GCC
@ 2005-10-22 15:45             ` Gerrit P. Haase
From: Gerrit P. Haase @ 2005-10-22 15:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

estech users wrote:

> But is there any advantage of using GCC over MS
> products when it comes to the issue of security?

If you find a security problem in GCC you may fix it yourself.

Gerrit
--
=^..^=

* Re: Please help on GCC
@ 2005-10-22 16:06             ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2005-10-22 16:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Sat, Oct 22, 2005 at 08:37:46AM -0700, estech users wrote:
>But is there any advantage of using GCC over MS products when it comes
>to the issue of security?

No.

* Re: Please help on GCC
@ 2005-10-24  7:12           ` estech users
From: estech users @ 2005-10-24  7:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: Eric Blake

Dear All,

Please, can someone help me with a running program on
how to read and output to texfile in gcc using c
language.

@ 2005-10-24  8:02             ` Brian Dessent
From: Brian Dessent @ 2005-10-24  8:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

estech users wrote:

> Please, can someone help me with a running program on
> how to read and output to texfile in gcc using c
> language.

That's off-topic for this mailing list because it's not Cygwin
specific.  This is not a list about how to program in C, there are
plenty of those elsewhere.

Brian