* Tcl/Tk + XFree86 in Cygwin?
@ 2002-06-26 21:53 Arthur Taylor
From: Arthur Taylor @ 2002-06-26 21:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Has anyone started work on compiling a version of Tcl/Tk to link to the
XFree86 libraries that are now part of cygwin?

So far the Tcl/Tk ports seem to do their Tk displays to MS-Windows.  I'm
not sure there is much of an advantage using cygwin-Tcl/Tk to the
regular Tcl/Tk (other than compiling packages using gcc instead of
Visual C++).  However, if one were using the Xlib rountines from
XFree86, then one could use X to remotely display a GUI.  This could
spark a number of applications with regard to tele-commuting.

Just wondering out loud.
Arthur

* Re: Tcl/Tk + XFree86 in Cygwin?
@ 2002-06-26 22:20 ` Charles Wilson
From: Charles Wilson @ 2002-06-26 22:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

search the mailing list archives.  This was discussed in just the past
month.  However, the first "step" is to help (on the insight mailing
list, where this work goes on) get cygwin's MS-display version of tcl/tk
updated to the 8.3 codebase.

Then test.  and more test.  and more test.

And only then worry about a second version of tcl/tk for cygwin that
uses X-display.  (Fact: the MS-display version will NOT go away; for all
the remote display advantages, who wants to have to crank up an Xserver
just to run gdb? -- right now, the gdb debugger is THE use of tcl/tk on
cygwin).

See you on the insight list.

--Chuck

Arthur Taylor wrote:

> Has anyone started work on compiling a version of Tcl/Tk to link to the
> XFree86 libraries that are now part of cygwin?
>
> So far the Tcl/Tk ports seem to do their Tk displays to MS-Windows.  I'm
> not sure there is much of an advantage using cygwin-Tcl/Tk to the
> regular Tcl/Tk (other than compiling packages using gcc instead of
> Visual C++).  However, if one were using the Xlib rountines from
> XFree86, then one could use X to remotely display a GUI.  This could
> spark a number of applications with regard to tele-commuting.
>
> Just wondering out loud.
> Arthur
>

> --

* Re: Tcl/Tk + XFree86 in Cygwin?
@ 2002-06-26 22:36 ` Mumit Khan
From: Mumit Khan @ 2002-06-26 22:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Arthur Taylor; +Cc: cygwin

On Wed, 26 Jun 2002, Arthur Taylor wrote:

> Has anyone started work on compiling a version of Tcl/Tk to link to the
> XFree86 libraries that are now part of cygwin?

http://sources.redhat.com/ml/cygwin/2002-06/msg00552.html for a first
cut patch against Tcl/Tk 8.3.4 official release to build X11 enabled
Tk on Cygwin.

Regards,
Mumit