* [ANNOUNCE] mingw32 GCC 2.8.0 based toolchain available.
@ 1998-01-18 16:07 Jan-Jaap van der Heijden
From: Jan-Jaap van der Heijden @ 1998-01-18 16:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: GNU-Win32 list

I upgraded the tools on my mingw32 page:

  http://agnes.dida.physik.uni-essen.de/~janjaap/mingw32/index.html

to the newly released GCC 2.8.0
The good news is that all patches needed to build mingw32 GCC have been
integrated in the FSF source, so no patches are needed anymore.

On this page, you will also find:

	binutils 980103
	libstdc++ 2.8.0
	libg++ 2.8.0
	mingw32 (Colin's 971230 + a few extra prototypes)
	windows32api headers
	GNU make 3.76.1
	GNU bison 1.25
	GNU flex 2.5.4a
	GNU m4 1.4
	gzip 1.2.4

All native mingw32, of course!

Enjoy,
JanJaap

---
necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going
to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly
overhead.  -- RFC1925.

-

* Re: [ANNOUNCE] mingw32 GCC 2.8.0 based toolchain available.
@ 1998-01-20 14:58 ` Paul Garceau
From: Paul Garceau @ 1998-01-20 14:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

On 18 Jan 98 at 20:49, the Illustrious Jan-Jaap van der Heijden wrote:

> I upgraded the tools on my mingw32 page:
>
>   http://agnes.dida.physik.uni-essen.de/~janjaap/mingw32/index.html

	Is there a US Mirror for this?  If there is, I am unaware of it.

	I am assuming, at this point in time, that each of these things can be
downloaded from the GNU site here in the US.  However, as I understand it,
there would need to be further modifications completed after the
downloading from the mit.edu site before the latest version of GCC would
be useable as a functional part of mingw32.

	I am currently considering putting a US Mirror site together for
Jan-Jaap, but am not sure if I've got the available disk space.  I do know
that my ISP tends to support GNU development projects.  It is simply a
question of need.

	Thanks for any information the participants of this mailing list
might have.

	Peace,

		Paul G.

Information Systems Consultant
NewDawn Productions
http://www.teleport.com/~pgarceau/
-

* Re: [ANNOUNCE] mingw32 GCC 2.8.0 based toolchain available.
@ 1998-01-24 15:34   ` Jan-Jaap van der Heijden
From: Jan-Jaap van der Heijden @ 1998-01-24 15:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Garceau; +Cc: GNU-Win32 list

On Tue, 20 Jan 1998, Paul Garceau wrote:

> On 18 Jan 98 at 20:49, the Illustrious Jan-Jaap van der Heijden wrote:
>

> > I upgraded the tools on my mingw32 page:
> >
> >   http://agnes.dida.physik.uni-essen.de/~janjaap/mingw32/index.html
>

> 	Is there a US Mirror for this?  If there is, I am unaware of it.

That makes two of us :-)

> 	I am assuming, at this point in time, that each of these things can be
> downloaded from the GNU site here in the US.  However, as I understand it,
> there would need to be further modifications completed after the
> downloading from the mit.edu site before the latest version of GCC would
> be useable as a functional part of mingw32.

All patches are with the rest on on the FTP server, same machine:
  ftp://agnes.dida.physik.uni-essen.de/home/janjaap/mingw32/

The tricky part in building GCC yourself is not getting the sources,
but the fact that you need a unix system with a crosscompiler to build
everything. And, I use snapshot binutils (gas) and those sources are not
public.

> 	I am currently considering putting a US Mirror site together for
> Jan-Jaap, but am not sure if I've got the available disk space.  I do know
> that my ISP tends to support GNU development projects.  It is simply a
> question of need.

Current ftp disk usage:
6999    ./binaries
23      ./diffs/CDK
861     ./diffs/attic
956     ./diffs
4333    ./linux
7090    ./misc
316     ./platform-SDK/def
425     ./platform-SDK/import_libs
742     ./platform-SDK

Total: 20122 (plus a few Kb for the www pages)

Greetings,
Jan-Jaap

---
necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going
to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly
overhead.  -- RFC1925.

-

* Problems with mingw32 GCC 2.8.0 !!!
@ 1998-01-27  2:27     ` Fabio Vignoli
From: Fabio Vignoli @ 1998-01-27  2:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan-Jaap van der Heijden; +Cc: GNU-Win32 list

Hi!

I downloaded the mingw32 required packages and tried to install on my hd:

1) In the installation page:

http://agnes.dida.physik.uni-essen.de/~janjaap/mingw32/installation.html

You wrote "I shall assume `C:\MINGW32' but another location should be
fine", but it seems that it's not, I tried another directory and gcc
couldn't find the "specs" file in the ...gcc-lib/...

But this is not a big problem ... :^) maybe you forgot a fixed macro in
the code or a new anvironment variable is needed .

2) The problem I encountered when I tried to compile the dlltest or other
tests provided with the packages is more serious, maybe is my inexperience
in using the tool but it seems that WinMain does not exist in any of the
default libraries. (I used jam to compile it).

I can't report the exact error message because I'm not at home but it
seems that it can't find a reference to WinMain@16.

Thanks for your attention,
Fabio

* Re: Problems with mingw32 GCC 2.8.0 !!!
@ 1998-01-27  8:52       ` Mumit Khan
From: Mumit Khan @ 1998-01-27  8:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fabio Vignoli; +Cc: gnu-win32

Fabio Vignoli <bafio@dist.unige.it> writes:

> 2) The problem I encountered when I tried to compile the dlltest or other
> tests provided with the packages is more serious, maybe is my inexperience
> in using the tool but it seems that WinMain does not exist in any of the
> default libraries. (I used jam to compile it).

Chances are that the jamfile uses "-dll" option, which has since been
renamed to -mdll. That should fix your problem.

Mumit
-

* Re: Problems with mingw32 GCC 2.8.0 !!!
@ 1998-01-27 16:21       ` Jan-Jaap van der Heijden
From: Jan-Jaap van der Heijden @ 1998-01-27 16:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fabio Vignoli; +Cc: GNU-Win32 list, Colin Peters

On Tue, 27 Jan 1998, Fabio Vignoli wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I downloaded the mingw32 required packages and tried to install on my hd:
>
> 1) In the installation page:
>
> http://agnes.dida.physik.uni-essen.de/~janjaap/mingw32/installation.html
>
> You wrote "I shall assume `C:\MINGW32' but another location should be
> fine", but it seems that it's not, I tried another directory and gcc
> couldn't find the "specs" file in the ...gcc-lib/...

I cannot reproduce this, even when the compiler is executed from a
different drive.
1) Did you preserve the trailing slash in GCC_EXEC_PREFIX ?
2) You did replace all `C:\MINGW32' with your alternative path, right?

> 2) The problem I encountered when I tried to compile the dlltest or other
> tests provided with the packages is more serious, maybe is my inexperience
> in using the tool but it seems that WinMain does not exist in any of the
> default libraries. (I used jam to compile it).
>
> I can't report the exact error message because I'm not at home but it
> seems that it can't find a reference to WinMain@16.

The problem is an old version of `jam'.

It uses GCC's former `-dll' option, which has been renamed to `-mdll'.
So, instead of building a DLL, GCC will try to link a .EXE, and fail
miserably.

I guess Colin will fix this in a future release of jam.
In the mean time, I will update my www page to mention the jam problem.

Greetings,
JanJaap

---

@ 1998-01-28  0:46         ` Mikey
From: Mikey @ 1998-01-28  0:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan-Jaap van der Heijden, gnu-win32

Jan, Colin, Mumit, Geoff, and all other developers/maintainers

using -mXXX is a very BAD idea for a gcc option.

-m is reserved for processor specifications

-mXXX always gets interpreted as a processor
specification in the specs file, which makes it impossible
to use that switch for -I/dir lines to cpp. (or pass down -D option
to cc1/plus)

-mwindows is a perfect example
-dll worked fine, why was it changed?

On Wed, 28 Jan 1998 01:22:46 +0000 (WET), you wrote:

>On Tue, 27 Jan 1998, Fabio Vignoli wrote:
>
>> Hi!
>>
>> I downloaded the mingw32 required packages and tried to install on my hd:
>>
>> 1) In the installation page:
>>
>> http://agnes.dida.physik.uni-essen.de/~janjaap/mingw32/installation.html
>>
>> You wrote "I shall assume `C:\MINGW32' but another location should be
>> fine", but it seems that it's not, I tried another directory and gcc
>> couldn't find the "specs" file in the ...gcc-lib/...
>>

>I cannot reproduce this, even when the compiler is executed from a
>different drive.
>1) Did you preserve the trailing slash in GCC_EXEC_PREFIX ?
>2) You did replace all `C:\MINGW32' with your alternative path, right?
>
>> 2) The problem I encountered when I tried to compile the dlltest or other
>> tests provided with the packages is more serious, maybe is my inexperience
>> in using the tool but it seems that WinMain does not exist in any of the
>> default libraries. (I used jam to compile it).
>>
>> I can't report the exact error message because I'm not at home but it
>> seems that it can't find a reference to WinMain@16.
>>

>The problem is an old version of `jam'.
>
>It uses GCC's former `-dll' option, which has been renamed to `-mdll'.
>So, instead of building a DLL, GCC will try to link a .EXE, and fail
>miserably.
>
>I guess Colin will fix this in a future release of jam.
>In the mean time, I will update my www page to mention the jam problem.
>
>Greetings,
>JanJaap
>
>---
>With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not
>necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going
>to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly
>overhead.  -- RFC1925.
>
>-

Linux a platform built by, and for users, standing on
the firm legs of reliability, and speed.

Microsoft Windows, a platform without a leg to stand on.

(jeffdbREMOVETHIS@netzone.com)
delete REMOVETHIS from the above to reply
         Mikey
-

* Re: Problems with mingw32 GCC 2.8.0 !!!
@ 1998-01-28 14:54         ` Fabio Vignoli
From: Fabio Vignoli @ 1998-01-28 14:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan-Jaap van der Heijden; +Cc: GNU-Win32 list, Colin Peters

> > You wrote "I shall assume `C:\MINGW32' but another location should be
> > fine", but it seems that it's not, I tried another directory and gcc
> > couldn't find the "specs" file in the ...gcc-lib/...
> >
> I cannot reproduce this, even when the compiler is executed from a
> different drive.
> 1) Did you preserve the trailing slash in GCC_EXEC_PREFIX ?
> 2) You did replace all `C:\MINGW32' with your alternative path, right?

1) Yes, I paied attention for that.
2) I suppose yes, maybe the problem is in the pathname with double quotes:
   I installed the packages in the <c:\"Program Files"\mingw32> directory.

Just to joke:
try in a MSDOS shell on windows NT : cd Program Files (it works)
                                     cd "Program Files" (it works)
                                     dir Program Files (DOES NOT WORK!!!)
                                     dir "Program Files" (it works)
Does anybody can tell me why?

> The problem is an old version of `jam'.
>
> It uses GCC's former `-dll' option, which has been renamed to `-mdll'.
> So, instead of building a DLL, GCC will try to link a .EXE, and fail
> miserably.

Thanks, I'll try to compile it by hand ...

Bye,

@ 1998-01-28 21:10           ` Isaac Kohn
From: Isaac Kohn @ 1998-01-28 21:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fabio Vignoli; +Cc: Jan-Jaap van der Heijden, GNU-Win32 list, Colin Peters

> Just to joke:
> try in a MSDOS shell on windows NT : cd Program Files (it works)
>                                      cd "Program Files" (it works)
>                                      dir Program Files (DOES NOT WORK!!!)
>                                      dir "Program Files" (it works)
> Does anybody can tell me why?

I assume the reason is that 'cd' never takes more than one arg, namely,
the directory to change to -- whereas dir can take many options and
switches and whatnot.  Because of this, cd knows that everything on the
command line is a directory name and it can allow this sort of thing --
whereas dir cannot allow this because it needs to look for other
arguments.

regards,
isaac

-

* Re: Problems with mingw32 GCC 2.8.0 !!!
@ 1998-01-29  4:47           ` Benjamin Riefenstahl
From: Benjamin Riefenstahl @ 1998-01-29  4:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fabio Vignoli; +Cc: Jan-Jaap van der Heijden, GNU-Win32 list, Colin Peters

Fabio Vignoli wrote:
> Just to joke:
> try in a MSDOS shell on windows NT : cd Program Files (it works)
>                                      cd "Program Files" (it works)
>                                      dir Program Files (DOES NOT WORK!!!)
>                                      dir "Program Files" (it works)
> Does anybody can tell me why?

;-)

If I had to guess I'd say it's just programmer's laziness and probably
backwards compatibility afterwards. You have to remember that in
DOS/Windows the command line is not parsed by the shell but by the
programs themselfs. That makes for a lot of inconsistencies between
applications and commands and seemingly even between command.com
built-ins.

The story probably was: The cd command has no options (or at least it
didn't use to), so the programmer of command.com did not bother to parse
the command line, he just took it and used it as a whole. In later
versions he added code to strip the quotes for compatibility with other
commands but he didn't use the full command-line parser, because that
might not have been backwards compatible with the use of the cd command
in older batch scripts. The dir command OTOH has a lot of options, so
the command line *has* to be parsed and after parsing Program Files
becomes two arguments.

All just guesswork, of course ;-)

* Re: [ANNOUNCE] mingw32 GCC 2.8.0 based toolchain available.
@ 1998-01-22  9:32 Liam Fitzpatrick
From: Liam Fitzpatrick @ 1998-01-22  9:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

>I upgraded the tools on my mingw32 page:
>
>  http://agnes.dida.physik.uni-essen.de/~janjaap/mingw32/index.html
>
>to the newly released GCC 2.8.0

I'm having problems with templates and libstdc++ :-{ One example is using
string:
e.g.
  #include <string>
  int main()
  {
    string s("Hello World!");
    return 0;
  }

Using the command "g++ teststring.cpp" gives lots of multiple definitions at
link time (shown below). The same errors result when -fno-implicit-templates
is specified.

Any ideas?

Environment variables include:
PATH=c:\mingw32\bin;C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32;C:\WINNT;C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~1\Office;c
:\program
files\cvs;C:\gnuwin32\b18\H-i386-cygwin32\bin;C:\gnuwin32\b18\tcl\bin;C:\IBL
OCAL\BIN;C:\IDAPI;
CPLUS_INCLUDE_PATH=C:\MINGW32\include\g++;C:\MINGW32\include
C_INCLUDE_PATH=C:\MINGW32\include
GCC_EXEC_PREFIX=C:\MINGW32\lib\gcc-lib\
GDBTK_LIBRARY=C:/gnuwin32/b18/share/gdbtcl
LIBRARY_PATH=C:\MINGW32\lib
TCL_LIBRARY=C:/gnuwin32/b18/tcl/lib/tcl7.6

g++ -v displays:
Reading specs from C:\MINGW32\lib\gcc-lib\i386-mingw32\2.8.0\specs
gcc version 2.8.0

g++ teststring.cpp displays:
C:\MINGW32\lib/libstdc++.a(cstrmain.o)(.text+0x1ef8):sinst.cc: multiple
definition of `basic_string<char, string_char_traits<char>,
__default_alloc_template<false, 0> >::~basic_string(void)'
C:\TEMP\cc0001851.o(.text$_$_t12basic_string3ZcZt18string_char_traits1ZcZt24
__default_alloc_template2b0i0+0x0):teststring.cc: first defined here
C:\MINGW32\lib/libstdc++.a(cstrmain.o)(.text+0x1ff0):sinst.cc: multiple
definition of `basic_string<char, string_char_traits<char>,
__default_alloc_template<false, 0> >::basic_string(char const *)'
C:\TEMP\cc0001851.o(.text$__t12basic_string3ZcZt18string_char_traits1ZcZt24_
_default_alloc_template2b0i0PCc+0x0):teststring.cc: first defined here
C:\MINGW32\lib/libstdc++.a(cstrmain.o)(.text+0x2050):sinst.cc: multiple
definition of `basic_string<char, string_char_traits<char>,
__default_alloc_template<false, 0> >::assign(char const *)'
C:\TEMP\cc0001851.o(.text$assign__t12basic_string3ZcZt18string_char_traits1Z
cZt24__default_alloc_template2b0i0PCc+0x0):teststring.cc: first defined here
C:\MINGW32\lib/libstdc++.a(cstrmain.o)(.text+0x20c4):sinst.cc: multiple
definition of `basic_string<char, string_char_traits<char>,
__default_alloc_template<false, 0> >::assign(char const *, unsigned int)'
C:\TEMP\cc0001851.o(.text$assign__t12basic_string3ZcZt18string_char_traits1Z
cZt24__default_alloc_template2b0i0PCcUi+0x0):teststring.cc: first defined
here
C:\MINGW32\lib/libstdc++.a(cstrmain.o)(.text+0x22b4):sinst.cc: multiple
definition of
`grab__Q2t12basic_string3ZcZt18string_char_traits1ZcZt24__default_alloc_temp
late2b0i03Rep'
C:\TEMP\cc0001851.o(.text$grab__Q2t12basic_string3ZcZt18string_char_traits1Z
cZt24__default_alloc_template2b0i03Rep+0x0):teststring.cc: first defined
here
C:\MINGW32\lib/libstdc++.a(cstrmain.o)(.text+0x24a4):sinst.cc: multiple
definition of
`data__Q2t12basic_string3ZcZt18string_char_traits1ZcZt24__default_alloc_temp
late2b0i03Rep'
C:\TEMP\cc0001851.o(.text$data__Q2t12basic_string3ZcZt18string_char_traits1Z
cZt24__default_alloc_template2b0i03Rep+0x0):teststring.cc: first defined
here
C:\MINGW32\lib/libstdc++.a(cstrmain.o)(.text+0x24b0):sinst.cc: multiple
definition of
`release__Q2t12basic_string3ZcZt18string_char_traits1ZcZt24__default_alloc_t
emplate2b0i03Rep'
C:\TEMP\cc0001851.o(.text$release__Q2t12basic_string3ZcZt18string_char_trait
s1ZcZt24__default_alloc_template2b0i03Rep+0x0):teststring.cc: first defined
here
C:\MINGW32\lib/libstdc++.a(cstrmain.o)(.text+0x2538):sinst.cc: multiple
definition of `basic_string<char, string_char_traits<char>,
__default_alloc_template<false, 0> >::rep(void) const'
C:\TEMP\cc0001851.o(.text$rep__Ct12basic_string3ZcZt18string_char_traits1ZcZ
t24__default_alloc_template2b0i0+0x0):teststring.cc: first defined here

Thanks,
Liam
----
Liam Fitzpatrick <liam@iname.com>
Programming Research Ltd. 14 Clyde Road, Dublin 4
Tel: +353-1-6671088  Fax: +353-1-6671610  http://www.prqa.co.uk

-