* RE: HLDS and Cygwin
@ 2003-08-19  8:04 Jörg Schaible
From: Jörg Schaible @ 2003-08-19  8:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi Russel,

> 1) Full install of HLDS, lets call it hlds1
> 2) Second complete install of HLDS in separate directory, call hlds2
>
> I have no problem executing the hlds1 or hlds2 by themselves.
>  But when I
> try to run both at the same time the 2nd one does not run at all.

Guess, they both install a local cygwin1.dll. This won't work.
See archives.

OTOH I am asking myself, what kind of license this software is, since
it obviously is depending on Cygwin.

Regrads,
Jörg

* Re: HLDS and cygwin
@ 2003-08-19 15:39 ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2003-08-19 15:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Tue, Aug 19, 2003 at 08:21:19AM +0200, J?rg Schaible wrote:
>Hi Russel,
>
>> 1) Full install of HLDS, lets call it hlds1
>> 2) Second complete install of HLDS in separate directory, call hlds2
>>
>> I have no problem executing the hlds1 or hlds2 by themselves.
>>  But when I
>> try to run both at the same time the 2nd one does not run at all.
>
>Guess, they both install a local cygwin1.dll. This won't work.
>See archives.
>
>OTOH I am asking myself, what kind of license this software is, since
>it obviously is depending on Cygwin.

Anyone have a URL?  Google doesn't seem to unearth anything interesting.

cgf

* Re: HLDS and cygwin
@ 2003-08-20 13:06   ` David Postill
From: David Postill @ 2003-08-20 13:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 11:18:42 -0400, you wrote:

| On Tue, Aug 19, 2003 at 08:21:19AM +0200, J?rg Schaible wrote:
| >Hi Russel,
| >
| >> 1) Full install of HLDS, lets call it hlds1
| >> 2) Second complete install of HLDS in separate directory, call hlds2
| >>
| >> I have no problem executing the hlds1 or hlds2 by themselves.
| >>  But when I
| >> try to run both at the same time the 2nd one does not run at all.
| >
| >Guess, they both install a local cygwin1.dll. This won't work.
| >See archives.
| >
| >OTOH I am asking myself, what kind of license this software is, since
| >it obviously is depending on Cygwin.
|
| Anyone have a URL?  Google doesn't seem to unearth anything interesting.

<http://www.fileplanet.com/files/50000/59236.shtml> ??

<davidp />

--
David Postill

* Re: HLDS and cygwin
@ 2003-08-20 14:38     ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2003-08-20 14:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Wed, Aug 20, 2003 at 01:55:34PM +0100, David Postill wrote:
>On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 11:18:42 -0400, you wrote:
>
>| On Tue, Aug 19, 2003 at 08:21:19AM +0200, J?rg Schaible wrote:
>| >Hi Russel,

>| >Guess, they both install a local cygwin1.dll. This won't work.
>| >See archives.
>| >
>| >OTOH I am asking myself, what kind of license this software is, since
>| >it obviously is depending on Cygwin.
>|
>| Anyone have a URL?  Google doesn't seem to unearth anything interesting.
>
><http://www.fileplanet.com/files/50000/59236.shtml> ??

Have you tried downloading from this site?

cgf

* Re: HLDS and cygwin
@ 2003-08-20 17:50       ` David Postill
From: David Postill @ 2003-08-20 17:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 09:50:58 -0400, you wrote:

| On Wed, Aug 20, 2003 at 01:55:34PM +0100, David Postill wrote:

| >|
| >| Anyone have a URL?  Google doesn't seem to unearth anything interesting.
| >
| ><http://www.fileplanet.com/files/50000/59236.shtml> ??
|
| Have you tried downloading from this site?

No :(

But this one works and is free...

<ftp://ftp2.gameplanet.co.nz/pub/halflife/hlserver4110.exe>

<davidp />

--
David Postill

* RE: HLDS and Cygwin
@ 2003-08-21 16:49 ` GDN_Cygwin
From: GDN_Cygwin @ 2003-08-21 16:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jörg Schaible; +Cc: cygwin

Well it does not depend on cygwin to run.  The only reason I am trying to
get multiple copies to run using cygwin is that I need a way for a user to
authenticate to the windows box and run their own copy of the program.
Without cygwin that is not easy to do that I am aware of.

The HLDS server is free by the developer valvesoftware.com.

Thanks,
Russell

On Tue, 19 Aug 2003, Jörg Schaible wrote:

> Hi Russel,
>
> > 1) Full install of HLDS, lets call it hlds1
> > 2) Second complete install of HLDS in separate directory, call hlds2
> >
> > I have no problem executing the hlds1 or hlds2 by themselves.
> >  But when I
> > try to run both at the same time the 2nd one does not run at all.
>
> Guess, they both install a local cygwin1.dll. This won't work.
> See archives.
>
> OTOH I am asking myself, what kind of license this software is, since
> it obviously is depending on Cygwin.
>
> Regrads,
> Jörg
>
> --

* Re: HLDS and cygwin
@ 2003-08-21 17:25   ` GDN_Cygwin
From: GDN_Cygwin @ 2003-08-21 17:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

HLDS (Half Life Dedicated Server)

Here are URL's for this software:

Creator:

http://www.valvesoftware.com
http://games.sierra.com/games/half-life/

Thanks,
Russell

On Tue, 19 Aug 2003, Christopher Faylor wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 19, 2003 at 08:21:19AM +0200, J?rg Schaible wrote:
> >Hi Russel,
> >
> >> 1) Full install of HLDS, lets call it hlds1
> >> 2) Second complete install of HLDS in separate directory, call hlds2
> >>
> >> I have no problem executing the hlds1 or hlds2 by themselves.
> >>  But when I
> >> try to run both at the same time the 2nd one does not run at all.
> >
> >Guess, they both install a local cygwin1.dll. This won't work.
> >See archives.
> >
> >OTOH I am asking myself, what kind of license this software is, since
> >it obviously is depending on Cygwin.
>
> Anyone have a URL?  Google doesn't seem to unearth anything interesting.
>
> cgf
>
> --

* Re: HLDS and cygwin
@ 2003-08-21 18:22       ` GDN_Cygwin
From: GDN_Cygwin @ 2003-08-21 18:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Here is directly where you can get the latest Win32 or Linux distro of
HLDS:

ftp.valvesoftware.com
login: hlserver pass: hlserver

Win32 dir.

Russell

On Wed, 20 Aug 2003, Christopher Faylor wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 20, 2003 at 01:55:34PM +0100, David Postill wrote:

> >| Anyone have a URL?  Google doesn't seem to unearth anything interesting.
> >
> ><http://www.fileplanet.com/files/50000/59236.shtml> ??
>
> Have you tried downloading from this site?
>
> cgf
>
> --

* RE: HLDS and Cygwin
@ 2003-08-21 17:54 ` GDN_Cygwin
From: GDN_Cygwin @ 2003-08-21 17:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vince Hoffman; +Cc: cygwin

What I am trying to do is run multiple copies of the hlds server under
cygwin.  Now granted the server was NOT compiled under cygwin. Is that
going to be a problem?  Keep in mind the server does not have any GUI,
just text output but the network stack I assume is designed to use the
windows stack.

I have no problem running the executable from cygwin as long as it is one
copy.  Just any more is where the problem comes about even if I copy the
executable to different directories.

Thanks,
Russell

* Re: HLDS and Cygwin
@ 2003-08-21 16:45   ` GDN_Cygwin
From: GDN_Cygwin @ 2003-08-21 16:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Elfyn,

Thanks for taking some time to help with this.  I am sorry I did not
provide enough information on the problem.  Let me answer your questions
below:

On Mon, 18 Aug 2003, Elfyn McBratney wrote:

> GDN_Cygwin wrote:
> >
> > There seems to be a problem running HLDS (half-life dedicated server) for
> > windows and Cygwin and possible other similar apps.
> >
> > The setup:
> >
> > 1) Full install of HLDS, lets call it hlds1
> > 2) Second complete install of HLDS in separate directory, call hlds2
> >
> > I have no problem executing the hlds1 or hlds2 by themselves.  But when I
> > try to run both at the same time the 2nd one does not run at all.
>
> Sorry, I do not know what HLDS is or what it does, apart from it being of the
> server variety of applications. Is HLDS a free software project, an open source
> project, a commercial thing?

HLDS stands for Half Life Dedicated Server.  Half Life is a game that is
very popular in the online multiplayer community.  There are many mods
people have put out that use the HL engine to run including Counter
Strike, Day of Defeat, etc.  The game is developed by valvesoftware.com.

> > If I kill hlds1 and run hlds2 it starts right up.
> >
> > If I run either hlds1 or hlds2 and try to even execute the other one from
> > file explorer I get an error "Unable to load engine, image is corrupt."
> >
> > Although if I run hlds1 and hlds2 from file explorer they both run fine.
>
> This doesn't really sound like a Cygwin issue. Is HLDS a Cygwin app or Mingw
> app [read: native windows app] ?

This version of it is compiled for windows however the dedicated server
has a linux port that I run just fine on native linux boxes no problem.  I
could not run the linux executable on the Win2000 box under cygwin, should
I have been able to?

> > I have seen on the net claims that cygwin has:
> >
> > "NOTE: There are issues with the cygwin.dll and separating simultaneous
> > user space. Use with caution!"
>
> There *are* issues when running multiple versions of the Cygwin dll
> (cygwin1.dll), but not when running two Cygwin programs on a single
> installation.

I see.  Then perhaps that issue I found digging around on the net does not
apply.

> > They suggest using SSH.COM's SSH solution for this issue.
>
> Who does? And if this entity suggests using ssh.com's solution for this "problem"
> then perhaps you should goto ssh.com for help.

It was a thread about an application that ran under cygwin.

> > Has anyone else run into this?
> >
> > I tried to even run firedaemon from cygwin but cannot do it without admin
> > so thats out.  I also tried to run psexec but it does not work under
> > cygwin either apprently.  This approach was to try and get cygwin to start
> > hlds as services by a non Admin user to get around the problem.
> >
> > The main thing I am trying to do is have a normal (non Admin) user run
> > hlds.exe and have multiple copies of it run on the same machine.
> >
> > Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> I'm sorry but, although you have provided a lot of information, it's not really
> useful. You seem to have a problem with a *Windows* program, and I'm not too sure
> how Cygwin fits into this at all.
>
> Please take a gander at <http://cygwin.com/problems.html>, if you think this
> really is a Cygwin issue.

So let me give a little more information about this HLDS.exe application.
Basically the application is a windows compiled application.  If I execute
the application run windows explorer it fires up no problem.  I also dont
have any problems running one copy of the hlds.exe program from within
cygwin.

Where the problem comes into play is when I try to run a second copy of
hlds.exe (where I copied the entire directory to a second location on the
HD) from cygwin.  What happens is the 2nd copy does not load it just sits
there and does nothing unless I hit control-c to stop execution.

The odd thing about it also and what makes me belive it is a cygwin
problem is that if I run the hlds.exe and the 2nd copy of it from windows
explorer they run no problem.

However if I run just one copy from cygwin then both windows explorer and
cygwin are unable to run the second copy.

Thanks,
Russell

> -- Elfyn
>
> --

* RE: HLDS and Cygwin
@ 2003-08-19 16:31 Vince Hoffman
From: Vince Hoffman @ 2003-08-19 16:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'GDN_Cygwin', cygwin

I'm not quite sure what you are trying to do here. have you got a version of
the Half Life dedicated server compiled for cygwin ? (didnt know the source
was available so a link would be interesting since it doesnt seem to be
available from valve.) Otherwise your problem is with a windows executable
and not cygwin related.

admittedly this confuses me

> If I run either hlds1 or hlds2 and try to even execute the
> other one from
> file explorer I get an error "Unable to load engine, image is
> corrupt."
>
> Although if I run hlds1 and hlds2 from file explorer they
> both run fine.

as it seemingly contradicts itself.
but in essence, you can run one fine or the other fine but not both ?
check they are configured to run on different ports, and if it is a cygwin
port then a) post the url ;) and b) remove cygwin1.dll from their respective
directorys and add the results output of "cygpath -w /bin" at a cygwin
prompt to your windows path so they arent trying to use 2 instances of the
cygwin dll.

Vince

* Re: HLDS and Cygwin
@ 2003-08-18 20:59 ` Elfyn McBratney
From: Elfyn McBratney @ 2003-08-18 20:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

GDN_Cygwin wrote:

> There seems to be a problem running HLDS (half-life dedicated server) for
> windows and Cygwin and possible other similar apps.
>
> The setup:
>
> 1) Full install of HLDS, lets call it hlds1
> 2) Second complete install of HLDS in separate directory, call hlds2
>
> I have no problem executing the hlds1 or hlds2 by themselves.  But when I
> try to run both at the same time the 2nd one does not run at all.

Sorry, I do not know what HLDS is or what it does, apart from it being of the
server variety of applications. Is HLDS a free software project, an open source
project, a commercial thing?

> If I kill hlds1 and run hlds2 it starts right up.
>
> If I run either hlds1 or hlds2 and try to even execute the other one from
> file explorer I get an error "Unable to load engine, image is corrupt."
>
> Although if I run hlds1 and hlds2 from file explorer they both run fine.

This doesn't really sound like a Cygwin issue. Is HLDS a Cygwin app or Mingw
app [read: native windows app] ?

> I have seen on the net claims that cygwin has:
>
> "NOTE: There are issues with the cygwin.dll and separating simultaneous
> user space. Use with caution!"

There *are* issues when running multiple versions of the Cygwin dll
(cygwin1.dll), but not when running two Cygwin programs on a single
installation.

> They suggest using SSH.COM's SSH solution for this issue.

Who does? And if this entity suggests using ssh.com's solution for this "problem"
then perhaps you should goto ssh.com for help.

> Has anyone else run into this?
>
> I tried to even run firedaemon from cygwin but cannot do it without admin
> so thats out.  I also tried to run psexec but it does not work under
> cygwin either apprently.  This approach was to try and get cygwin to start
> hlds as services by a non Admin user to get around the problem.
>
> The main thing I am trying to do is have a normal (non Admin) user run
> hlds.exe and have multiple copies of it run on the same machine.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'm sorry but, although you have provided a lot of information, it's not really
useful. You seem to have a problem with a *Windows* program, and I'm not too sure
how Cygwin fits into this at all.

Please take a gander at <http://cygwin.com/problems.html>, if you think this
really is a Cygwin issue.

-- Elfyn