* Using GCC
@ 1997-10-20  6:00 Kevin Sheehan
From: Kevin Sheehan @ 1997-10-20  6:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

Hi,
	I have just installed the gnu-win32 system as I need to write
some software to communicate with an ADC card in my PC. The problem is
that the example code uses inp and outp and these do not seem to compile
in GCC. Could someone please point me in the direction of some
documentation for this.(I have looked on the web page but cannot see
anything specific to the IBM or the AT bus I/O space).

	Many Thanks
		Kevin

-

* Re: Using GCC
@ 1997-10-25 12:02 ` Fernandes, Hilton
From: Fernandes, Hilton @ 1997-10-25 12:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kevin Sheehan, gnu-win32; +Cc: hfernandes

On 20 Oct 97 at 13:58, Kevin Sheehan <sheehan@spsun5.ph.rhbnc.ac.uk> wrote:

> 	I have just installed the gnu-win32 system as I need to write
> some software to communicate with an ADC card in my PC. The problem is
> that the example code uses inp and outp and these do not seem to compile
> in GCC. Could someone please point me in the direction of some
> documentation for this.(I have looked on the web page but cannot see
> anything specific to the IBM or the AT bus I/O space).

Hi!

Win32 is supposed to be a real operating system, so it won't let you access
the hardware directly in an application program.  As far as i know, if you
really need to do this, you have to write a device driver.

That means inp and outp are not available in gnu-win32.

Sigh. :-(

Regards,
++Hilton
----
Hilton Fernandes
hfernandes@geocities.com
http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Lakes/5657
URLs and help on C++ programming and Object-Oriented Design
-

* Re: Using GCC
@ 1997-10-25 13:18   ` Alex
From: Alex @ 1997-10-25 13:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

On Sat, 25 Oct 1997, Fernandes, Hilton wrote:

> Win32 is supposed to be a real operating system, so it won't let you access
> the hardware directly in an application program.  As far as i know, if you
> really need to do this, you have to write a device driver.
>
> That means inp and outp are not available in gnu-win32.

Although dangerous, couldn't someone right a device driver that would
allow you to use inp and outp?

- alex

-

* Re: Using GCC
@ 1997-10-26  6:25     ` Charles Curley
From: Charles Curley @ 1997-10-26  6:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alex; +Cc: gnu-win32

At 13:18 25/10/97 -0700, Alex wrote:

>On Sat, 25 Oct 1997, Fernandes, Hilton wrote:
>
>> Win32 is supposed to be a real operating system, so it won't let you access
>> the hardware directly in an application program.  As far as i know, if you
>> really need to do this, you have to write a device driver.
>>
>> That means inp and outp are not available in gnu-win32.
>
>Although dangerous, couldn't someone right a device driver that would
>allow you to use inp and outp?

Sure. Why don't you?

If the inputs to the device driver are port or port and count (for reads)
and port and datum or port, pointer to data and count (for writes) I think
you would have a nice generic testbed driver. I think I'd put some range
checks on it so I don't shoot myself in the foot with it.

Next question, for the folks who know Cygwin better than I: does Cygwin GCC
include the tools necessary to make a device driver?

		-- C^2

Looking for fine software and/or web pages?
http://web.idirect.com/~ccurley
-

* Re: Using GCC
@ 1997-10-26 11:07       ` Alex
From: Alex @ 1997-10-26 11:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Charles Curley; +Cc: gnu-win32

On Sun, 26 Oct 1997, Charles Curley wrote:

> >> Win32 is supposed to be a real operating system, so it won't let you access
Yea.  And elephants are supposed to be pink.

> >Although dangerous, couldn't someone right a device driver that would
> >allow you to use inp and outp?
>
> Sure. Why don't you?

I'd have no idea where to start, and don't want to accidentally screw
something up.  Besides,  not much is working for me on Win98.

> If the inputs to the device driver are port or port and count (for reads)
> and port and datum or port, pointer to data and count (for writes) I think
> you would have a nice generic testbed driver. I think I'd put some range
> checks on it so I don't shoot myself in the foot with it.

If there was some way to check to see if Windows is reserving that port,
that'd probably be pretty helpful. Although I wonder if it'd work on NT.

> Next question, for the folks who know Cygwin better than I: does Cygwin GCC
> include the tools necessary to make a device driver?

Most probably yes.

- alex

-

* Re: Using GCC
@ 1997-10-26 13:12         ` Charles Curley
From: Charles Curley @ 1997-10-26 13:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alex; +Cc: gnu-win32

At 12:07 PM 10/26/97 -0800, Alex wrote:

>     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>Yea.  And elephants are supposed to be pink.

Ah, *that* explains the Republicans since 1994.... :-)

>> >Although dangerous, couldn't someone right a device driver that would
>> >allow you to use inp and outp?
>>
>> Sure. Why don't you?
>
>I'd have no idea where to start, and don't want to accidentally screw
>something up.  Besides,  not much is working for me on Win98.

Well, if I were doing it, I'd start with MS VC++ Professional edition,
*unless* the tools are available here on Cygwin. I'd read up on VxDs and go
from there.

I for dang sure wouldn't use a beta OS for testing it, esp. with the
problems I've had with NT 5. Go to a recent W95 or NT 4 for this. Note that
device drivers are very different for WNT and W9[5|8].

>> If the inputs to the device driver are port or port and count (for reads)
>> and port and datum or port, pointer to data and count (for writes) I think
>> you would have a nice generic testbed driver. I think I'd put some range
>> checks on it so I don't shoot myself in the foot with it.
>
>If there was some way to check to see if Windows is reserving that port,
>that'd probably be pretty helpful. Although I wonder if it'd work on NT.

I don't know if there is an OS call you could make, but the program
winmsd.exe (on NT 4) and its equivalents can find these things out, so it
has to be in the os omewhere.

>> Next question, for the folks who know Cygwin better than I: does Cygwin GCC
>> include the tools necessary to make a device driver?
>
>Most probably yes.

We will see if anyone else answers this. If not, I'd go to MS VC++. I've
ameliorated it considerably by integrating NT Emacs into it.

@ 1997-10-26 14:51           ` Alex
From: Alex @ 1997-10-26 14:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Charles Curley; +Cc: gnu-win32

On Sun, 26 Oct 1997, Charles Curley wrote:

> Ah, *that* explains the Republicans since 1994.... :-)

No, nothing can explain those. ;-)

> Well, if I were doing it, I'd start with MS VC++ Professional edition,
> *unless* the tools are available here on Cygwin. I'd read up on VxDs and go
> from there.

Visual C++ is the biggest piece of crap I've seen in a long time.  It's a
pitty they call that a C++ compiler.

> I for dang sure wouldn't use a beta OS for testing it, esp. with the
> problems I've had with NT 5. Go to a recent W95 or NT 4 for this. Note that
> device drivers are very different for WNT and W9[5|8].

I like most of the changes made to Win98, however the latest CD sent to me
was really unstable (more so than any previous ones).  However I don't
have the patience to "downgrade" to OSR2.  The WDM aims to create uniform
drivers for 98 and NT (note the latest WDM driver I used was for my SB32,
which was horribly written).

> >> If the inputs to the device driver are port or port and count (for reads)
> >> and port and datum or port, pointer to data and count (for writes) I think
> >> you would have a nice generic testbed driver. I think I'd put some range
> >> checks on it so I don't shoot myself in the foot with it.
> >
> >If there was some way to check to see if Windows is reserving that port,
> >that'd probably be pretty helpful. Although I wonder if it'd work on NT.
>
> I don't know if there is an OS call you could make, but the program
> winmsd.exe (on NT 4) and its equivalents can find these things out, so it
> has to be in the os omewhere.
[...]
> >> Next question, for the folks who know Cygwin better than I: does Cygwin GCC
> >> include the tools necessary to make a device driver?
> >
> >Most probably yes.
>
> We will see if anyone else answers this. If not, I'd go to MS VC++. I've
> ameliorated it considerably by integrating NT Emacs into it.

How'd you manage that?

- alex

-

* Re: Using GCC
@ 1997-10-27  6:39             ` Charles Curley
From: Charles Curley @ 1997-10-27  6:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alex; +Cc: gnu-win32

At 03:51 PM 10/26/97 -0800, Alex wrote:

>On Sun, 26 Oct 1997, Charles Curley wrote:
>

>> We will see if anyone else answers this. If not, I'd go to MS VC++. I've
>> ameliorated it considerably by integrating NT Emacs into it.
>
>How'd you manage that?
>
>- alex

Check the FAQ for NT emacs at

http://www.cs.washington.edu/homes/voelker/ntemacs.html