* _ctype_
@ 1999-02-24 15:10 Brad Porter
       [not found] ` < 604BE7100DB8D21180C900805FC772ABEC22@berlin.netdelivery >
From: Brad Porter @ 1999-02-24 15:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Cygwin'

		I am having trouble building with g++ from egcs-2.91.60.
		Apparently libstdc++.a is trying to import _ctype_ and it
isn't available.

		Does anyone know where this is supposed to be defined?

		Thanks.

		Brad Porter
		Bporter@netdelivery.com < mailto:Bporter@netdelivery.com >

* Re: _ctype_
       [not found] ` < 604BE7100DB8D21180C900805FC772ABEC22@berlin.netdelivery >
@ 1999-02-24 20:01   ` Mumit Khan
From: Mumit Khan @ 1999-02-24 20:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brad Porter; +Cc: 'Cygwin'

On Wed, 24 Feb 1999, Brad Porter wrote:

> 		I am having trouble building with g++ from egcs-2.91.60.
> 		Apparently libstdc++.a is trying to import _ctype_ and it
> isn't available.
>
> 		Does anyone know where this is supposed to be defined?

Sure, via <cctype> (or, equivalently <ctype.h> in C).

Without more detail, it's impossible to tell. How did you configure it?
Are you using stock egcs-2.91.60, or are you using any of the patches
(eg., from my site)? Are you using a Cygwin release or a dev snapshot?
And what version?

Regards,
Mumit

* _ctype_
       [not found] ` < 604BE7100DB8D21180C900805FC772ABEC22@berlin.netdelivery >
@ 1999-02-28 23:02 ` Brad Porter
From: Brad Porter @ 1999-02-28 23:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Cygwin'

@ 1999-02-28 23:02     ` Mumit Khan
From: Mumit Khan @ 1999-02-28 23:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brad Porter; +Cc: 'Cygwin'

       [not found] ` < 005d01be60df$31354220$080216c0@newt.san.rr.com >
@ 1999-02-28 23:02 ` Steve Biskis
From: Steve Biskis @ 1999-02-28 23:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brad Porter, 'Cygwin'

Yes, I had the same problem.  It has something to do with differences
between the b20.1 December release and later snapshots.

I was building the Jan-15 newlib/winsup snapshot and egcs-1.1.1 OK
but then ran into undefined reference to _ctype blah blah when trying
to compile my stuff with the resulting tools.

I was also building the Dec Cygnus release and egcs-1.1.1 and then got
undefined reference to __imp_ctype blah blah when building my stuff.

I'm sorry that I can't give very good details but I do remember concluding
that it
was due to the newlib/winsup package somehow falling out of sync with the
egcs package.  I didn't trust my builds very much because I had to play
games
with links & headers, etc. to get both pieces to build.  I couldn't devote
any more
time to it and just cleaned out the whole mess and installed the
precompiled.

I'm pretty sure this will all be recreated by:

1. Installing full.exe

2. Installing the Jan-15 newlib/winsup src and egcs-1.1.1 src someplace.

3. Build both packages.

4. Install the resulting binaries over their older counterparts from
full.exe.

5. Try to build your own source.

> I am having trouble building with g++ from egcs-2.91.60.
> Apparently libstdc++.a is trying to import _ctype_ and it
>isn't available.
>
> Does anyone know where this is supposed to be defined?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Brad Porter
> Bporter@netdelivery.com < mailto:Bporter@netdelivery.com >
>

>--

* RE: _ctype_
@ 1999-02-28 23:02   ` Mumit Khan
From: Mumit Khan @ 1999-02-28 23:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brad Porter; +Cc: Steve Biskis, cygwin

On Thu, 25 Feb 1999, Brad Porter wrote:

> 		Sorry.  I didn't intend this to be a "bug report" but more
> of "what have I done wrong?"  I believe it is due to having the snapshot
> release, as Steve suggested.  Anyway, the libstdc++.a modules that have the
> undefined symbols are iostream.o and iovscanf.o

Thank you! That's what I needed to know. Looks like we need to rebuild all
the object modules that uses ctype etc when using the new cygwin development
snapshots. The interface for ctype was changed since b20.1, so it's
something that I don't see (I build everything with a stock b20.1 copy).

Unfortunately, I don't a simple workaround other than rebuilding the C++
runtime library in this case.

Regards,
Mumit

ps: I'm going to copy this to the cygwin list as well. Hopefully that's
not a problem.

* Re: _ctype_
@ 1999-02-28 23:02     ` Mumit Khan
From: Mumit Khan @ 1999-02-28 23:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steve Biskis; +Cc: Brad Porter, 'Cygwin'

On Thu, 25 Feb 1999, Steve Biskis wrote:

> Yes, I had the same problem.  It has something to do with differences
> between the b20.1 December release and later snapshots.
>
> I was building the Jan-15 newlib/winsup snapshot and egcs-1.1.1 OK
> but then ran into undefined reference to _ctype blah blah when trying
> to compile my stuff with the resulting tools.

It typically implies that some source module is using ctype *without*
including <ctype.h>. If someone can mail me the name of che module where
the undefined reference is coming from, I can take a look. Until then,
I'll simply ignore these messages just like I ignore hundreds of other
incomplete "bug reports" ;-)

> I was also building the Dec Cygnus release and egcs-1.1.1 and then got
> undefined reference to __imp_ctype blah blah when building my stuff.

This could be due to an oldver version of newlib which didn't export the
ctype symbols.

This is the life with snapshots. These are distributed so folks like us
can report and possibly fix problems. However, if we can't fix it, we
also have to assume the responsibility of reporting these in a way that
helps the maintainers to track it down.

Regards,
Mumit

* Re: _ctype_
@ 1999-02-28 23:02 ` N8TM
From: N8TM @ 1999-02-28 23:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mlx, bporter, cygwin

In a message dated 2/25/99 8:54:28 AM Pacific Standard Time, mlx@san.rr.com
writes:

<< 2. Installing the Jan-15 newlib/winsup src and egcs-1.1.1 src someplace.

 3. Build both packages.

I've built (patched, configured, bootstrapped in accordance with Mumit Khan's
instructions) egcs-1.1.1 and 1.1.2-pre1 and 2 on the Jan 23 snapshot binary
and got away from this problem.  The problem seems to occur when you have the
cygwin-b20.2 style snapshots installed along with a b20.1 version of the
compilers, where you're mixing the old and new implementations of ctype.

* Re: _ctype_
@ 1999-02-25 20:38 N8TM
From: N8TM @ 1999-02-25 20:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mlx, bporter, cygwin