* in execvp.c undefined reference to 'posix_path_list_p'
@ 1999-04-22 11:20 Michael Fonte
From: Michael Fonte @ 1999-04-22 11:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I just installed cygwin B20.1 and am getting the following error trying to
compile tcl 8.0.5

When building the final executable

gcc tclAppInit.o -L(snip) -ltcl8.0 -lm -lc -o tclsh

e:\cygnus\CYGWIN~1\H-I586~1\bin\..\lib\gcc-lib\i586-cygwin32\egcs-2.91.57\..
\..\..\..\i586-cygwin32\lib/libc.a(execvp.o): In function `execvp':
/home/noer/src/b20/comp-tools/devo/newlib/libc/posix/execvp.c:69: undefined
reference to `posix_path_list_p'

I searched the faq and mail archive for execvp and did not see this error
reported.  Any ideas on how to fix this?

Michael

* Re: in execvp.c undefined reference to 'posix_path_list_p'
@ 1999-04-22 13:54 ` Mumit Khan
From: Mumit Khan @ 1999-04-22 13:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Fonte; +Cc: cygwin

On Thu, 22 Apr 1999, Michael Fonte wrote:

> I just installed cygwin B20.1 and am getting the following error trying to
> compile tcl 8.0.5
>
> When building the final executable
>
> gcc tclAppInit.o -L(snip) -ltcl8.0 -lm -lc -o tclsh

Get rid of the -lc and try again.

I wonder why so many folks insist on explicitly adding -lc???

Regards,
Mumit

* RE: in execvp.c undefined reference to 'posix_path_list_p'
@ 1999-04-22 14:01   ` Michael Fonte
From: Michael Fonte @ 1999-04-22 14:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Mumit Khan'; +Cc: cygwin

Reply I caught this about 30 minutes later.  I am not sure why 'most' of the
source code distributions out there explicitly add -lc as well.  Anyone have
a historical perspective on this.  I suppose there are apps out there that
don't use libc, they either write their own or don't need it.  In these
cases it would be nice to not have to link against libc.  In either case for
compatibility reasons explicitly adding -lc should not cause a fatal error
(IMHO).

The makefile was generated via a configure script from the standard tcl8.0.5
source distribution.

Thanks for the reply,

Michael

On Thu, 22 Apr 1999, Michael Fonte wrote:

> I just installed cygwin B20.1 and am getting the following error trying to
> compile tcl 8.0.5
>
> When building the final executable
>
> gcc tclAppInit.o -L(snip) -ltcl8.0 -lm -lc -o tclsh

Get rid of the -lc and try again.

I wonder why so many folks insist on explicitly adding -lc???

Regards,
Mumit

* To use or not to use -lc [RE: in execvp.c undefined ...]
@ 1999-04-22 14:33     ` Mumit Khan
From: Mumit Khan @ 1999-04-22 14:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Fonte; +Cc: cygwin

On Thu, 22 Apr 1999, Michael Fonte wrote:

> Reply I caught this about 30 minutes later.  I am not sure why 'most' of the
> source code distributions out there explicitly add -lc as well.  Anyone have
> a historical perspective on this.  I suppose there are apps out there that
> don't use libc, they either write their own or don't need it.  In these
> cases it would be nice to not have to link against libc.  In either case for
> compatibility reasons explicitly adding -lc should not cause a fatal error
> (IMHO).

Historically speaking, it was usually to deal with systems which had
multiple C runtime libraries, and the compiler drivers didn't handle
it as well as you'd like or at all. eg., lots of systems had libc.a,
libc_s.a, libc_g.a and so on where each library had some special meaning
(profile, debugging, static-vs-dynamic, some-other-feature, etc); more
often than not, there was no switch to pass to "cc" that will pick the
right one, and so you'll have to do it yourself. I don't recall having
to do this since the late 80's however.

Currently, there is absolutely no reason to do this in general; it's just
a bad habit folks pick up from old packages and perpetuate the whole
mess ;-)

This is also another reason one should not use low-level linkers etc
unless there is a special reason. You need to know way too much about
the target system to use ld etc directly.

> The makefile was generated via a configure script from the standard tcl8.0.5
> source distribution.

You're using the Makefile.in in tcl8.0.5/unix directory, which is one
problem right there (unless of course you really mean to build a Cygwin
Tcl that doesn't use Win32 API); the other is a bug in Tcl Makefile.in
-- it should not have the -lc in the first place (see ``LIBS = ').

You can pretty much use my patches for 8.0.4 and import it into a 8.0.5
CVS tree. Might need a few minor adjustments however. it's available from
http://www.xraylith.wisc.edu/~khan/software/tcl/ . I'll try to get 8.0.5
patches out sometime soon.

@ 1999-04-30 18:32       ` Mumit Khan
From: Mumit Khan @ 1999-04-30 18:32 UTC (permalink / raw)