* precompiled perl?
@ 1999-04-18  9:14 Nancy McGough
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Nancy McGough @ 1999-04-18  9:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sorry if this is a FAQ but I haven't been able to find info about this
in the Cygwin mailing list archives or web site: Where can I find a
precompiled perl for Cygwin?

Thanks much,
Nancy

PS -- Does anyone have a public archive of the Cygwin mailing list
on an IMAP server? I'd love to be able to use an IMAP client to read
and search the archives.

--
©Nancy McGough          http://www.ii.com          Infinite Ink
--= Sent via PINE: Power Internet News & Email for Win/Unix =--

* Re: precompiled perl?
@ 1999-04-18 12:00 ` Charles Wilson
From: Charles Wilson @ 1999-04-18 12:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nancy McGough; +Cc: cygwin

Nancy McGough wrote:

> Sorry if this is a FAQ but I haven't been able to find info about this
> in the Cygwin mailing list archives or web site: Where can I find a
> precompiled perl for Cygwin?

I've got a perl version 5.005 compiled for cygwin-b20.1. You can download
it from
ftp://belgarion.resnet.gatech.edu/pub/cygwin/B20/perl/perl5.005_03-cygwinb20.tar.bz2

copy it to your / directory, and unpack. It will unpack into
/usr/local/bin, /usr/local/share, and /usr/local/lib

--Chuck

* Re: precompiled perl?
@ 1999-04-18 18:05 ` Suhaib M. Siddiqi
From: Suhaib M. Siddiqi @ 1999-04-18 18:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Sorry if this is a FAQ but I haven't been able to find info about this
> in the Cygwin mailing list archives or web site: Where can I find a
> precompiled perl for Cygwin?

Check http://sourceware.cygnus.com/cygwin

Under software there is a link to pre compiled perl.

--Suhaib

> Thanks much,
> Nancy
>
> PS -- Does anyone have a public archive of the Cygwin mailing list
> on an IMAP server? I'd love to be able to use an IMAP client to read
> and search the archives.
>
> --
> ©Nancy McGough          http://www.ii.com          Infinite Ink
> --= Sent via PINE: Power Internet News & Email for Win/Unix =--
>

> --

* Re: precompiled perl?
@ 1999-04-18 18:35   ` Nancy McGough
From: Nancy McGough @ 1999-04-18 18:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thank you everyone for the pointer. When I looked at that page before
I posted, it looked to me like all the files out there needed to be
compiled. For people who are new to this world (like me), you might
want to change the README to say "precompiled binary" rather than just
"binary."

I've now downloaded, bunzipped, and untarred it and successfully run a
perl script! Here are a couple questions: The first line of my script
is:

 #!perl

and it works fine because perl is on my path. But, if perl weren't on
my path, what is the best thing to put as the first line of the
script. On my system perl is in C:\Cygnus\cygwin-b20\usr\local\bin but
when I'm in the Cygwin bash window I'm not sure what's considered the
root directory.

Another Q: Is it possible to send a file to a Cygwin perl script from
within Windows Explorer. E.g., by right clicking and choosing Send To
and having the script be one of the Send To choices. Any pointers to
launching Cygwin stuff from within Windows would be great.

Thanks again,
Nancy

--

@ 1999-04-19  8:31     ` John Mullee
From: John Mullee @ 1999-04-19  8:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Nancy McGough wrote:
> Another Q: Is it possible to send a file to a Cygwin perl script from
> within Windows Explorer. E.g., by right clicking and choosing Send To
> and having the script be one of the Send To choices. Any pointers to
> launching Cygwin stuff from within Windows would be great.
Here's how:
- create a dos batch file that takes filenames as parameters
and runs your perl script on them.
- create a 'windows shortcut'to this batchfile and place it
in your windows user directory
- your win/user dir on NT id:
	%SYSTEMDIR%\%USERNAME%\Sendto\
  or c:\windows\Sendto on W95, or something like that.
- the name of the shortcut will appear in the context menu.

HTH john

* Re: precompiled perl?
@ 1999-04-20 12:11       ` Nancy this-address-is-valid McGough
From: Nancy this-address-is-valid McGough @ 1999-04-20 12:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 19 Apr 1999, John Mullee <john@exmachina.net> wrote:
> Nancy McGough wrote:
> > Another Q: Is it possible to send a file to a Cygwin perl script from
> > within Windows Explorer. E.g., by right clicking and choosing Send To
> > and having the script be one of the Send To choices. Any pointers to
> > launching Cygwin stuff from within Windows would be great.
> Here's how:
> - create a dos batch file that takes filenames as parameters
> and runs your perl script on them.
> - create a 'windows shortcut'to this batchfile and place it
> in your windows user directory
> - your win/user dir on NT id:
> 	%SYSTEMDIR%\%USERNAME%\Sendto\
>   or c:\windows\Sendto on W95, or something like that.
> - the name of the shortcut will appear in the context menu.

I know how to do all this with normal bat and pif files but what I was
asking about (but didn't ask very clearly) is how do I create a DOS
batch file that calls a perl script that calls the Cygwin perl. Or a
simpler question that will help me to write the batch file is: How can
I run Cygwin scripts in a DOS box. I'm sorry if this is a really basic
question. Pointers to documentation about this kind of thing would be
great.

Thanks again,
Nancy

PS - John sent this message to:

But there is no such address as nm@ii.com. The address in my From
header is valid.

--

@ 1999-04-30 18:32   ` Charles Wilson
From: Charles Wilson @ 1999-04-30 18:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nancy McGough; +Cc: cygwin

@ 1999-04-30 18:32   ` Suhaib M. Siddiqi
From: Suhaib M. Siddiqi @ 1999-04-30 18:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Sorry if this is a FAQ but I haven't been able to find info about this
> in the Cygwin mailing list archives or web site: Where can I find a
> precompiled perl for Cygwin?

Check http://sourceware.cygnus.com/cygwin

Under software there is a link to pre compiled perl.

--Suhaib

> Thanks much,
> Nancy
>
> PS -- Does anyone have a public archive of the Cygwin mailing list
> on an IMAP server? I'd love to be able to use an IMAP client to read
> and search the archives.
>
> --
> ©Nancy McGough          http://www.ii.com          Infinite Ink
> --= Sent via PINE: Power Internet News & Email for Win/Unix =--
>

> --

* precompiled perl?
@ 1999-04-30 18:32 ` Nancy McGough

From: Nancy McGough @ 1999-04-30 18:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 1999-04-30 18:32       ` John Mullee
From: John Mullee @ 1999-04-30 18:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 1999-04-30 18:32         ` Nancy this-address-is-valid McGough
From: Nancy this-address-is-valid McGough @ 1999-04-30 18:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 1999-04-30 18:32 ` Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 1999-04-30 18:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

--- Nancy McGough <nm@NoAdsPlease.ii.com> wrote:
--8<--
> I've now downloaded, bunzipped, and untarred it and successfully run a
> perl script! Here are a couple questions: The first line of my script
> is:
>
>  #!perl
>
> and it works fine because perl is on my path. But, if perl weren't on
> my path, what is the best thing to put as the first line of the
> script. On my system perl is in C:\Cygnus\cygwin-b20\usr\local\bin but
> when I'm in the Cygwin bash window I'm not sure what's considered the
> root directory.
>
> Another Q: Is it possible to send a file to a Cygwin perl script from
> within Windows Explorer. E.g., by right clicking and choosing Send To
> and having the script be one of the Send To choices. Any pointers to
> launching Cygwin stuff from within Windows would be great.
--8<--

bash$: cd /
bash$: ln -s //c/Cygnus/cygwin-b20/usr usr

perl.ps

#!/usr/local/bin/perl

===
"Earnie Boyd" < mailto:earnie_boyd@yahoo.com >
CYGWIN RELATED HELP:
 DOCUMENTATION: < http://sourceware.cygnus.com/cygwin/docs.html >
       DLLHELP: < http://www.xraylith.wisc.edu/~khan/software/gnu-win32/ >
ARCHIVE SEARCH: < http://www.delorie.com/archives/ > OR
                < http://www.eGroups.com/list/gnu-win32/ >

* Re: precompiled perl?
@ 1999-04-30 18:32 ` John Huddleston
From: John Huddleston @ 1999-04-30 18:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

the contents of a myfile.bat file is

perl -S myfile %1

where myfile is a file containing perl code

John Huddleston
jhudd@cody.itc.nrcs.usda.gov

@ 1999-04-20 15:41 John Huddleston

@ 1999-04-19  6:32 Earnie Boyd