* help with installing lynx
@ 2001-02-11 20:13 Tennessee Leeuwenburg
From: Tennessee Leeuwenburg @ 2001-02-11 20:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi,

I'm trying to install lynx, using the precompiled version from the cygwin
page, lynx 2.8.2r1.tar.gz. It tells me to go download ncurses, but I
couldn't find it at the locations mentioned, and I also think I remember
seeing it in installing cygwin anyway. The errormessage I get is  "Error
opening terminal: cygwin". What do I need to do to make it work?

-Tennessee

* Re: help with installing lynx
@ 2001-02-11 20:32 ` Charles S. Wilson
From: Charles S. Wilson @ 2001-02-11 20:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tennessee Leeuwenburg; +Cc: cygwin

Tennessee Leeuwenburg wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to install lynx, using the precompiled version from the cygwin
> page, lynx 2.8.2r1.tar.gz. It tells me to go download ncurses, but I
> couldn't find it at the locations mentioned, and I also think I remember
> seeing it in installing cygwin anyway.

ncurses was added to the official cygwin distribution a while back -- if
you don't already have it installed, (check /etc/setup/installed.db) use
setup.exe to download & install it.

> The errormessage I get is  "Error
> opening terminal: cygwin". What do I need to do to make it work?

ncurses, probably.  :-)

--Chuck

* Re: help with installing lynx
@ 2001-02-12  2:02 ` Malcolm Boekhoff
From: Malcolm Boekhoff @ 2001-02-12  2:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cygwin News Group

Try "bash>TERM=linux lynx".

Otherwise work out the convoluted set of rules for determining the terminal capabilities (from TERMCAP or from /etc/termcap or from
~/.../somedirectorythatbeginswithadot/...) and post us all a nice easy FAQ item!

@ 2001-02-13 19:09   ` Kevin Wright
From: Kevin Wright @ 2001-02-13 19:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Tennessee,

Did you ever get lynx to work? I finally figured out that I had to
set the TERMINFO environment variable:

export TERMINFO=/usr/share/terminfo/

I remembered having to do this for the talk utility until it was fixed.
An strace of lynx shows that it's looking for terminfo in:

/usr/local/share/terminfo/c/cygwin

and since terminfo now ships with cygwin, it's located in
/usr/share/terminfo.

Hope this helps,

--Kevin

@ 2001-02-14  3:08     ` Sagar R. Shah
From: Sagar R. Shah @ 2001-02-14  3:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 13 Feb 2001, Kevin Wright wrote:
> Did you ever get lynx to work? I finally figured out that I had to
> set the TERMINFO environment variable:
>
> export TERMINFO=/usr/share/terminfo/

Oooh! it works :-)
Thanks for sharing that kevin, I'd tried and given up with getting lynx to
work.

I know that the mailing list archives are serachable, but would there be any
chance of having useful information like this put somewhere more easily
accessible on the cygwin website? (well I suppose I'm actually asking to
have this on the FAQ, but I'm sure the FAQ maintainer is extremely busy with
a million things)

I don't mind puting info like this on my own site and just having a link
from the cygwin site to it, if other people thought this was okay.

Sagar

* Re: help with installing lynx
@ 2001-02-11 20:44 Tennessee Leeuwenburg
From: Tennessee Leeuwenburg @ 2001-02-11 20:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Charles S. Wilson; +Cc: cygwin

>ncurses was added to the official cygwin distribution a while back -- if
>you don't already have it installed, (check /etc/setup/installed.db) use
>setup.exe to download & install it.

Got it. However, it didn't fix the problem, which was :

> > The errormessage I get is  "Error
> > opening terminal: cygwin". What do I need to do to make it work?

Thanks for the pointer though - a useful thing to know.

-T