* Re: Colors mess up terminal
@ 2001-08-23  9:49 Marc Fortier
From: Marc Fortier @ 2001-08-23  9:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Upload the termcap and terminfo entries from your Cygwin system
> to your Linux box and try again. Perhaps the cygwin terminal
> entries aren't the latest version.
>
> Corinna

I copied /usr/share/terminfo/c/cygwin to the linux box.  Still no go.

		Marc
--
Marc Fortier, School of Information Technology & Engineering,
U. of Ottawa, P.O. Box 450 Stn A, Ottawa Ontario Canada, K1N 6N5

* Re: Colors mess up terminal
@ 2001-08-23 12:20 Marc Fortier
From: Marc Fortier @ 2001-08-23 12:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I have been seeing the same thing.  If you set the TERM variable in
> cygwin to vt100 just before issuing the ssh command it works.  Or if
> want a better way.  On your linux box just create a little check in
> your .profile to see if the variable TERM is set to cygwin.  If it is
> set it to vt100.
>
> Louis

Hi Louis,

   I haven't tried changing TERM in cygwin before ssh'ing to the linux
box, but changing TERM to vt100 on the linux box hasn't worked for me.  So
far the only thing that has was to run pine -color-style=no-color.

		Marc
--

@ 2001-08-23 10:16     ` Louis Bohm
From: Louis Bohm @ 2001-08-23 10:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 12:42 PM 8/23/2001 -0400, Marc Fortier wrote:
>I'll RTFM on tput.  CTRL-L refreshes the screen, but as soon as something
>changes, it's screwed up again.
>
>                 Marc
>
>On Thu, 23 Aug 2001, Neil Zanella wrote:

> > To implement colors portably you must use tput instead of the bash
> > escape sequences.

> > tput knows about terminal capabilities and displays the colors only when
> > the given terminal supports them.

> > > Hello,
> > >
> > >    I'll try to explain better.
> > >
> > >    I'm running W2K with all the latest cygwin stuff, including
> > > openssh2.9p2.  I ssh from cygwin to a linux box.  echo $TERM replies
> > > cygwin.  If I run pine without specifying to turn off colours, extra line
> > > feeds are added at the bottom of the screen, whether I'm in the menu,
> > > message index, or reading messages.  In the index, this means I have to
> > > guess what message the cursor is over before I can open it.  Also, some
> > > lines don't get updated properly a the top and bottom of the screen.
> >
> > Try CTRL-L to update the screen.
> >

> > >    If I run pine with -color-style=no-colors, all is well.  But it would
> > > be nice not to have to turn off colours.
> > >
> > >             Marc
> > >

>--
>Marc Fortier, School of Information Technology & Engineering,
>U. of Ottawa, P.O. Box 450 Stn A, Ottawa Ontario Canada, K1N 6N5
>phone:  (613) 562-5800 ext. 6680, fax:  (613) 562-5187
> mailto:mfortier@site.uottawa.ca  http://www.site.uottawa.ca/~mfortier
>

>--

¤¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤øø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤øø¤º°`°º¤
¤°`°Lightbridge, Inc
¤°`°67 South Bedford St.
¤°`°Burlington MA 01832
¤°`°781.359.4795 mailto:lbohm@lightbridge.com
¤°`° http://www.lightbridge.com
¤¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤øø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤øø¤º°`°º¤

* Re: Colors mess up terminal
@ 2001-08-23  9:37   ` Marc Fortier
From: Marc Fortier @ 2001-08-23  9:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

--

@ 2001-08-23  9:35   ` Marc Fortier
From: Marc Fortier @ 2001-08-23  9:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 23 Aug 2001, Andrew Markebo wrote:

> Sounds like the termcap info for cygwin terminal isn't really uptodate
> on your linux-machine. (Assuming that you are running ssh from the
> cygwin bash)

That's right, I'm running ssh from cygwin bash.

> How is it, is it the environment variable TERMCAP that can contain the
> terminfo? Get the string from /etc/termcap of your cygwin
> installation, and set it on the linux-machine..

/etc/termcap on cygwin says

cygwin:\
        :xn@:op=\E[39;49m:Km=\E[M:tc=linux:

And /etc/termcap on the linux box doesn't have a reference to cygwin.
I tried copting this to the linux box, but it didn't fix the problem.

> Hmm what happens if you set the variable TERM to linux in the linux
> shell before firing up pine?

I tried setting TERM to linux, and linux-m for monochrome, but that
doesn't solve the problem either.

		Marc

@ 2001-08-23  8:19 ` Neil Zanella
From: Neil Zanella @ 2001-08-23  8:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 23 Aug 2001, Marc Fortier wrote:

> On Thu, 23 Aug 2001 08:58:15 +0200, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Aug 22, 2001 at 05:52:14PM -0400, Marc Fortier wrote:
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >>    I'm also using pine via cygwin/ssh and am getting strange display
> >> behaviour when colours are used.  Is there a solution to this problem?

To implement colors portably you must use tput instead of the bash
escape sequences.

> >> In the meantime, I'll try to come up with a script that detects
> >> whether the term type is cygwin and run pine with no colour in that
> >> case.

tput knows about terminal capabilities and displays the colors only when
the given terminal supports them.

> > I'm running `mutt' in a console window using TERM=cygwin and have no
> > problems with it.  Also `ls --color' works fine.  What exactly means
> > "strange display behaviour"?  Are you actually working in a console
> > window?
> >
> > Corinna
>
> Hello,
>
>    I'll try to explain better.
>
>    I'm running W2K with all the latest cygwin stuff, including
> openssh2.9p2.  I ssh from cygwin to a linux box.  echo $TERM replies
> cygwin.  If I run pine without specifying to turn off colours, extra line
> feeds are added at the bottom of the screen, whether I'm in the menu,
> message index, or reading messages.  In the index, this means I have to
> guess what message the cursor is over before I can open it.  Also, some
> lines don't get updated properly a the top and bottom of the screen.

Try CTRL-L to update the screen.

>    If I run pine with -color-style=no-colors, all is well.  But it would
> be nice not to have to turn off colours.
>
> 		Marc

* Re: Colors mess up terminal
@ 2001-08-23  7:55 ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2001-08-23  7:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Aug 23, 2001 at 10:44:34AM -0400, Marc Fortier wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Aug 2001 08:58:15 +0200, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Aug 22, 2001 at 05:52:14PM -0400, Marc Fortier wrote:
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >>    I'm also using pine via cygwin/ssh and am getting strange display
> >> behaviour when colours are used.  Is there a solution to this problem?
> >> In the meantime, I'll try to come up with a script that detects
> >> whether the term type is cygwin and run pine with no colour in that
> >> case.
> >
> > I'm running `mutt' in a console window using TERM=cygwin and have no
> > problems with it.  Also `ls --color' works fine.  What exactly means
> > "strange display behaviour"?  Are you actually working in a console
> > window?
> >
> > Corinna
>
> Hello,
>
>    I'll try to explain better.
>
>    I'm running W2K with all the latest cygwin stuff, including
> openssh2.9p2.  I ssh from cygwin to a linux box.  echo $TERM replies
> cygwin.  If I run pine without specifying to turn off colours, extra line
> feeds are added at the bottom of the screen, whether I'm in the menu,
> message index, or reading messages.  In the index, this means I have to
> guess what message the cursor is over before I can open it.  Also, some
> lines don't get updated properly a the top and bottom of the screen.
>
>    If I run pine with -color-style=no-colors, all is well.  But it would
> be nice not to have to turn off colours.

Upload the termcap and terminfo entries from your Cygwin system
to your Linux box and try again. Perhaps the cygwin terminal
entries aren't the latest version.

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.

* Re: Colors mess up terminal
@ 2001-08-23  7:54 ` Andrew Markebo
From: Andrew Markebo @ 2001-08-23  7:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sounds like the termcap info for cygwin terminal isn't really uptodate
on your linux-machine. (Assuming that you are running ssh from the
cygwin bash)

How is it, is it the environment variable TERMCAP that can contain the
terminfo? Get the string from /etc/termcap of your cygwin
installation, and set it on the linux-machine..

Hmm what happens if you set the variable TERM to linux in the linux
shell before firing up pine?

        /Andy

|    I'm running W2K with all the latest cygwin stuff, including
| openssh2.9p2.  I ssh from cygwin to a linux box.  echo $TERM replies
| cygwin.  If I run pine without specifying to turn off colours, extra line
| feeds are added at the bottom of the screen, whether I'm in the menu,
| message index, or reading messages.  In the index, this means I have to
| guess what message the cursor is over before I can open it.  Also, some
| lines don't get updated properly a the top and bottom of the screen.
|
|    If I run pine with -color-style=no-colors, all is well.  But it would
| be nice not to have to turn off colours.
|
| 		Marc
| --
| Marc Fortier, School of Information Technology & Engineering,
| U. of Ottawa, P.O. Box 450 Stn A, Ottawa Ontario Canada, K1N 6N5
| phone:  (613) 562-5800 ext. 6680, fax:  (613) 562-5187
| mailto:mfortier@site.uottawa.ca  http://www.site.uottawa.ca/~mfortier
|

| --

* Re: Colors mess up terminal
@ 2001-08-23  7:39 Marc Fortier
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Marc Fortier @ 2001-08-23  7:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2001-08-22 23:58 ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2001-08-22 23:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Aug 22, 2001 at 05:52:14PM -0400, Marc Fortier wrote:
> Hello,
>
>    I'm also using pine via cygwin/ssh and am getting strange display
> behaviour when colours are used.  Is there a solution to this problem?  In
> the meantime, I'll try to come up with a script that detects whether the
> term type is cygwin and run pine with no colour in that case.

I'm running `mutt' in a console window using TERM=cygwin and have no
problems with it.  Also `ls --color' works fine.  What exactly means
"strange display behaviour"?  Are you actually working in a console
window?

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.

* Colors mess up terminal
@ 2001-08-22 14:47 Marc Fortier
From: Marc Fortier @ 2001-08-22 14:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

> To: cygwin at cygwin dot com
> Subject: Colors mess up terminal
> From: Greg Bell <gbell at yahoo dot com>
> Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 14:57:32 -0700 (PDT)
>
> Hi cygwin gang,
>
> I'm running pine through ssh on cygwin. All TERMs are
> set to cygwin.
>
> When pine's set up to display color, the display
> messes up... lines appear on the wrong part of the
> screen, duplicate, portions of pine's help at the
> bottom get scrambled, etc.
>
> Is this a potential cygwin problem or does it only
> have to do with my terminal?  If I run pine w/ color
> on linux from rxvt, its fine.
>
> I'm running cygwin on an Win2K box, using cmd.exe
> (which reminds me, is there a good replacement for
> cmd.exe?).
>
> Thanks much,
>
> Greg Bell
>
> =====
> Greg Bell (858)860-6400 x7661

Hello,

   I'm also using pine via cygwin/ssh and am getting strange display
behaviour when colours are used.  Is there a solution to this problem?  In
the meantime, I'll try to come up with a script that detects whether the
term type is cygwin and run pine with no colour in that case.

		TIA

		Marc
--

@ 2001-05-30 14:57 Greg Bell