* Re: press for cygwin
@ 2001-09-05  5:04 jmarshall
From: jmarshall @ 2001-09-05  5:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Christopher Faylor wrote:
> It actually is not trivial at all.

Well, it doesn't seem to be too bad.  The detection is pretty localised
in tar.cc.  Or perhaps I'm missing something?

> As I also keep mentioning, it
> requires that someone who cares about this will have to actually do it
> rather than report that it is possible to do it.

As people have probably noticed, I care about this. :-)

So I'm working on it.  My network connectivity is pretty random at the
moment, but I should be connected enough to show anyone interested in a
couple of days.

    John

* Re: press for cygwin
@ 2001-09-06  1:55 jmarshall
From: jmarshall @ 2001-09-06  1:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Christopher Faylor wrote:
> For the record, my original paragraph read like this:
>
> "It actually is not trivial at all.  As I also keep mentioning, it
> requires that someone who cares about this will have to actually do it
> rather than report that it is possible to do it."
>
> The non-triviality of the effort involves someone actually TAKING TIME
> TO DO THE JOB.  That is an extremely nontrivial undertaking for anyone
> on the cygwin mailing list.

Sorry.  The "also" in the second sentence led me to think that the
non-triviality being referred to was something else.

As I said, I'm taking time to do the job.  Whether you all might want
to integrate it is another question, but it'll give an idea of the
feasibility or otherwise anyway.  Unless someone else out there beats
me to it. :-)

    John

* RE: press for cygwin
@ 2001-09-03  8:56 Bernard Dautrevaux
From: Bernard Dautrevaux @ 2001-09-03  8:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
From: Bernard Dautrevaux @ 2001-09-03  6:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)',
	Mark Bradshaw, 'cygwin@cygwin.com'

Best regards,

	Bernard

Bernard Dautrevaux
Microprocess Ingenierie
97 bis, rue de Colombes
92400 COURBEVOIE
FRANCE
Tel:	+33 (0) 1 47 68 80 80
Fax:	+33 (0) 1 47 88 97 85
e-mail:	dautrevaux@microprocess.com
		b.dautrevaux@usa.net

* RE: press for cygwin
@ 2001-08-31  7:36 Mark Bradshaw
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Mark Bradshaw @ 2001-08-31  7:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'cygwin@cygwin.com'

Hmm...  Should I paint a bulls eye on my chest here.  Eh.  Why not.

Couple of quick notes on the thread.

1)  Complete agreement with Jonathon Merz on the WinZip thing.  Going to bz2
just to thwart WinZip doesn't seem like a good use of energy.  Unfortunately
at the time I wrote the article bz2 wasn't in use for the packages.  WinZip,
being the most popular zip tool for Windows, seemed the obvious choice for
unzipping the cygwin packages.  You wouldn't believe how long it takes to
get an article printed. :(

2)  Goes the same for the references to old versions, etc.  The article's
almost a year old now, believe it or not.

3)  Yes I know it's an unsupported install, but I think the point was missed
here.  Many windows admins won't install the full cygwin installation, and
most won't have a clue what to do with bash, etc.  The point here isn't to
exclude people from a great tool, but to help make an intermediate step more
palatable.  I know many will disagree with this, with sentiments along the
lines of "They should just learn how to work with it."  I disagree.  I think
it's worth it to get telnet replaced, in whatever fashion that happens.
Bashless or not.

4)  The weird "ps &-ef" and "kill &-HUP <PID>" commands are not my fault.
<whine>  The publisher's somehow managed to screw up some of the command
lines.  </whine>  They will be corrected soon hopefully.

I apologize if I've stepped on some toes with this article.  I know that
here I'm talking to the folks who are satisfied with the full cygwin
install, or are knowledgeable enough about it to install the portions
necessary without the hand holding.  You aren't the target audience for a
piece like this.  I hoped to catch those people who are largely unaware of
cygwin and ssh and maybe give them a push into using it.

Mark

* RE: Press for Cygwin
@ 2001-08-31  0:34 Peter Ring
From: Peter Ring @ 2001-08-31  0:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

While the article may be a bit misguided, there was a neat trick that I
didn't know about: how to get a shell running under the LocalSystem account.

"... needs to run under the security context of LocalSystem to function
properly. The easiest way to start a shell is to go to the server's command
line and type one of the following commands. If you have Task Scheduler,
type

  net start "task scheduler"

Otherwise, type

  net start schedule

Then, regardless of which scheduler you have, type

  at <current time + 1 minute> /interactive C:\winnt\system32\cmd.exe

When the specified time comes, the scheduler will launch a command shell
that LocalSystem owns. You can then use this shell ..."

Kind regards,
Peter Ring

* press for cygwin
@ 2001-08-30 14:34 Peter Buckley
From: Peter Buckley @ 2001-08-30 14:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'cygwin@cygwin.com'

I emailed the author-

I read your cygwin/OpenSSH article at win2kmag.com-

I didn't care for it. You are proposing an unsupported method
to install the cygwin toolset- even without this press for cygwin,
the cygwin mailing list gets an email a week about "I installed
with winzip, and something doesn't work." Many of the developers
are tired of answering people who don't follow basic directions
that are there for good reasons- winzip can't handle necessary
things like symlinks- and sometimes they are a little curt with
people who have cygwin problems and have shot themselves in
the foot by performing a half-baked install.

You might want to check the archives of the cygwin mailing
list to see the numerous messages about broken installs due
to not following directions.

Also- you don't mention setting the CYGWIN variable to "ntsec",
which I believe is required based on the openssh-2.9p2.readme
(for sshd to work or be secure).

You are setting a lot of people up for frustration and failure by
recommending an incomplete/unsupported installation of these tools-
when installed correctly, the cygwin toolset is fantastic.

Maybe you should read and point people to http://tech.erdelynet.com .
It has an excellent cygwin and ssh setup section, and ssh mailing list.
Of course, YOU probably won't get all the pleas for help from people
following your directions- the cygwin list/developers will.

I think you should more carefully consider the implications of your article
before you
let someone publish it. "Does a man build a tower without first considering
whether he has the time and materials to build it?" I forget what verse that
is.

Even though I disagree with you on the article,
I want to thank you for helping out with crosswalk.com.

-Peter

* Re: Press for Cygwin
@ 2001-08-30 14:31 yap_noel
From: yap_noel @ 2001-08-30 14:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: march; +Cc: cygwin

>Basically, SSHing into a Windows box without a full Cygwin install
>is a pretty empty experience.

I agree, but I thought it was pretty neat that I can bring up an xterm on
my Sun box and have it display a DOS shell :-)

Noel

do not necessarily reflect those of J.P. Morgan Chase & Co., its
subsidiaries and affiliates.

* RE: Press for Cygwin
@ 2001-08-30 14:10 Robinow, David
From: Robinow, David @ 2001-08-30 14:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Michael Schaap', cygwin

 from http://www.arthappens.com/dictionary.htm

arg!, argh! - An expression of frustration.

Later, from cgf
> So, it's more than just WinZip.  Bleah.
 Clearly, Chris has spelling problems.

blee - An interjection indicating something disgusting, bad, or
icky.

bleh, bleugh - An interjection indicating something yucky or bad.
(Less intense than "blee!")

* RE: Press for Cygwin
@ 2001-08-30 13:47 Robinow, David
From: Robinow, David @ 2001-08-30 13:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'cygwin@cygwin.com'

> From: Jonathon Merz [ mailto:jmerz42@earthlink.net ]
> Subject: Re: Press for Cygwin
> <soapbox>
> Just some comments:  I do fully support the use of bzip2 over
> gzip because it compresses better, but I think using it purely
> to thwart WinZip users would be a bad reason to do so.  ...
 You misunderstand.  Bias against the WIMP interface has nothing to do with
this.
> Likewise, while we all appreciate the efficiency of
> command-line tools, trying to thwart users of WinZip is kind
> of elitist, and for those who have gotten to be called "System
> Administrators" without learning much in the way of command
> line tools, our efforts would be better
> spent teaching them to patch their IIS servers before we try
> to teach them to use the command line :)
> </soapbox>
 Nobody (but you) said anything about a command line.
 The supported installation method is with setup.exe.
 The (A) proper way to run it is to double-click on it.

* Press for Cygwin
@ 2001-08-30 12:57 Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)
From: Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) @ 2001-08-30 12:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi all,

For those of you interested, there is a good article that promotes
Cygwin, at least in the context of its support of the OpenSSH port.
Check it out:

    http://www.win2000mag.com/articles/index.cfm?articleid=21992