* setup-1.45.exe testers needed
@ 2000-05-19 21:02 Chris Faylor
                   ` (4 more replies)
From: Chris Faylor @ 2000-05-19 21:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I've uploaded a new version of setup.exe to the 'latest' directory.
This version should correct the problem with updating cygwin.

It also has an improved single-page display of mirror sites, implemented
by DJ, along with a slight tweak from me (setup was never supposed to
have displayed the site names as URLs).

If you have the opportunity to try this version out, I would appreciate
knowing if it "does the right thing" in various scenarios, like updating
ash in a directory which already contained the old version of ash or
updating cygwin either in an empty directory or in a directory which
already contains a version of cygwin.

I would appreciate "it works" or "it doesn't work" (sigh) reports and if
you are motivated to provide this please provide the details of your
setup.  A description of the setup options you chose and a 'dir' of the
directory where you ran setup would be appreciated.

Please send any reports to cygwin@sourceware.cygnus.com.

Thanks,
cgf

* Re: setup-1.45.exe testers needed
@ 2000-05-20 10:01 ` Pierre A. Humblet
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Pierre A. Humblet @ 2000-05-20 10:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I tried loading packages I didn't have (inetutils) and packages
I had (ash) both in empty and non empty directories (Win95).
Everything went well.
The program behaves the same with and without -u.
Nice job!

Pierre

* Re: setup-1.45.exe testers needed
@ 2000-05-20 14:48   ` Chris Faylor
From: Chris Faylor @ 2000-05-20 14:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: Pierre.Humblet

On Sat, May 20, 2000 at 01:06:02PM -0400, Pierre A. Humblet wrote:
>I tried loading packages I didn't have (inetutils) and packages
>I had (ash) both in empty and non empty directories (Win95).
>Everything went well.
>The program behaves the same with and without -u.
>Nice job!

Thanks for the report.

Much appreciated.

cgf

* Re: setup-1.45.exe testers needed
@ 2000-05-20 16:29 ` Emil Hallin
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Emil Hallin @ 2000-05-20 16:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Tried out setup-1.45.exe. Works perfectly for me; downloaded and installed
only the packages that needed updating. Worked in empty directory as well.
Thanks!
    emil

* Re: setup-1.45.exe testers needed
@ 2000-05-20 18:53   ` Chris Faylor
From: Chris Faylor @ 2000-05-20 18:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: emil

On Sat, May 20, 2000 at 05:29:34PM -0600, Emil Hallin wrote:
>Tried out setup-1.45.exe.  Works perfectly for me; downloaded and
>installed only the packages that needed updating.  Worked in empty
>directory as well.  Thanks!

Thank you!  It is very gratifying to get feedback like this whether
it is positive or negative.

Best Regards,

@ 2000-05-21  6:24 ` Travis Howell
From: Travis Howell @ 2000-05-21  6:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I'm unable to even install Cygwin 1.1.1 with the new 1.45 setup. It seems to
check if each part is installed via the registry only and skips it all since
it thinks Cygwin 1.1.1 is still installed. I previouly installed Cygwin
1.1.1 via the 1.43 setup without problems and uninstalled (with many
errors). then deleted the root directory before trying the 1.45 setup.
System is using Windows 2000 Professional

@ 2000-05-21  6:35   ` Travis Howell
From: Travis Howell @ 2000-05-21  6:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Ooops missed some details, changing install location (local/internet) and
setup location make no difference.

@ 2000-05-21 15:36   ` Chris Faylor
From: Chris Faylor @ 2000-05-21 15:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Sun, May 21, 2000 at 11:23:26PM +1000, Travis Howell wrote:
>I'm unable to even install Cygwin 1.1.1 with the new 1.45 setup. It seems to
>check if each part is installed via the registry only and skips it all since
>it thinks Cygwin 1.1.1 is still installed. I previouly installed Cygwin
>1.1.1 via the 1.43 setup without problems and uninstalled (with many
>errors). then deleted the root directory before trying the 1.45 setup.
>System is using Windows 2000 Professional

This is what I would expect.  The uninstall does not remove information
from the registry, unfortunately.  That will come eventually.

I should have made that clear.  Sorry.

cgf

* Re: setup-1.45.exe testers needed
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2000-05-23 12:28 ` John A. Turner
From: John A. Turner @ 2000-05-23 12:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Chris Faylor wrote:

> If you have the opportunity to try this version out, I would appreciate
> knowing if it "does the right thing" in various scenarios, like updating
> ash in a directory which already contained the old version of ash or
> updating cygwin either in an empty directory or in a directory which
> already contains a version of cygwin.
>
> I would appreciate "it works" or "it doesn't work" (sigh) reports and if
> you are motivated to provide this please provide the details of your
> setup.  A description of the setup options you chose and a 'dir' of the
> directory where you ran setup would be appreciated.

used it to do setup -u and it performed flawlessly, except for the
apparently expected behavior that my /, /usr/bin, and /usr/lib mounts
switched from text to binary

if it's necessary for setup to switch these mounts while it does its
thing, would it be possible for it to switch them back when it's
finished?

attached is the setup.log from my update

thanks,

-John
setup.log

[-- Attachment #2: setup.log --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 3654 bytes --]

Downloading: ash-20000517.tar.gz...Done.
Downloading: bash-2.04.tar.gz...Done.
Skipped download of binutils-19990818-1.tar.gz
Skipped download of bison.tar.gz
Skipped download of byacc.tar.gz
Skipped download of bzip2.tar.gz
Skipped download of clear-1.0.tar.gz
Skipped download of cygwin-1.1.1.tar.gz
Skipped download of dejagnu.tar.gz
Skipped download of diff.tar.gz
Skipped download of expect.tar.gz
Skipped download of fileutils.tar.gz
Skipped download of findutils.tar.gz
Skipped download of flex.tar.gz
Skipped download of gawk.tar.gz
Skipped download of gcc-2.95.2-1.tar.gz
Skipped download of gdb-20000415.tar.gz
Skipped download of gperf.tar.gz
Skipped download of grep.tar.gz
Skipped download of groff-1.11a-1.tar.gz
Skipped download of gzip.tar.gz
Downloading: inetutils-1.3.2-2.tar.gz...Done.
Skipped download of less.tar.gz
Skipped download of libpng-1.0.6-1.tar.gz
Downloading: login-1.2.tar.gz...Done.
Skipped download of m4.tar.gz
Skipped download of make.tar.gz
Skipped download of man-1.5g-2.tar.gz
Skipped download of patch.tar.gz
Skipped download of sed.tar.gz
Skipped download of shellutils.tar.gz
Skipped download of tar.tar.gz
Skipped download of tcltk.tar.gz
Skipped download of termcap-2.tar.gz
Skipped download of texinfo.tar.gz
Skipped download of textutils.tar.gz
Skipped download of time.tar.gz
Skipped download of zlib-1.1.3-1.tar.gz
E:\Local\cygwin\bin\sh.exe
Updated package 'ash'
E:\Local\cygwin\bin\bash.exe
E:\Local\cygwin\bin\bashbug
E:\Local\cygwin\usr\man\man1\bash.1
E:\Local\cygwin\usr\man\man1\bashbug.1
Updated package 'bash'
Skipped extraction of cygwin-1.1.1.tar.gz since newer version is installed
E:\Local\cygwin\etc
E:\Local\cygwin\etc\inetd.conf
E:\Local\cygwin\inetutils-1.3.2.README
E:\Local\cygwin\usr
E:\Local\cygwin\bin
E:\Local\cygwin\bin\ftp.exe
E:\Local\cygwin\bin\syslog.exe
E:\Local\cygwin\bin\rcp.exe
E:\Local\cygwin\bin\rlogin.exe
E:\Local\cygwin\bin\rsh.exe
E:\Local\cygwin\bin\syslog.exe
E:\Local\cygwin\bin\talk.exe
E:\Local\cygwin\bin\telnet.exe
E:\Local\cygwin\bin\tftp.exe
E:\Local\cygwin\lib
E:\Local\cygwin\lib\libtelnet.a
E:\Local\cygwin\usr\man
E:\Local\cygwin\usr\man\man1
E:\Local\cygwin\usr\man\man1\ftp.1
E:\Local\cygwin\usr\man\man1\rcp.1
E:\Local\cygwin\usr\man\man1\rlogin.1
E:\Local\cygwin\usr\man\man1\rsh.1
E:\Local\cygwin\usr\man\man1\syslog.1
E:\Local\cygwin\usr\man\man1\talk.1
E:\Local\cygwin\usr\man\man1\telnet.1
E:\Local\cygwin\usr\man\man1\tftp.1
E:\Local\cygwin\usr\man\man5
E:\Local\cygwin\usr\man\man5\syslog.conf.5
E:\Local\cygwin\usr\man\man8
E:\Local\cygwin\usr\man\man8\ftpd.8
E:\Local\cygwin\usr\man\man8\inetd.8
E:\Local\cygwin\usr\man\man8\rexecd.8
E:\Local\cygwin\usr\man\man8\rlogind.8
E:\Local\cygwin\usr\man\man8\rshd.8
E:\Local\cygwin\usr\man\man8\syslogd.8
E:\Local\cygwin\usr\man\man8\talkd.8
E:\Local\cygwin\usr\man\man8\telnetd.8
E:\Local\cygwin\usr\man\man8\tftpd.8
E:\Local\cygwin\usr\sbin
E:\Local\cygwin\usr\sbin\in.ftpd.exe
E:\Local\cygwin\usr\sbin\in.rexecd.exe
E:\Local\cygwin\usr\sbin\in.rlogind.exe
E:\Local\cygwin\usr\sbin\in.rshd.exe
E:\Local\cygwin\usr\sbin\in.talkd.exe
E:\Local\cygwin\usr\sbin\in.telnetd.exe
E:\Local\cygwin\usr\sbin\in.tftpd.exe
E:\Local\cygwin\usr\sbin\in.uucpd.exe
E:\Local\cygwin\usr\sbin\inetd.exe
E:\Local\cygwin\usr\sbin\syslogd.exe
Updated package 'inetutils'
E:\Local\cygwin\login.README
E:\Local\cygwin\usr
E:\Local\cygwin\bin
E:\Local\cygwin\bin\login.exe
E:\Local\cygwin\usr\man
E:\Local\cygwin\usr\man\man1
E:\Local\cygwin\usr\man\man1\login.1
Updated package 'login'
Installation took 51 seconds.

* Re: setup-1.45.exe testers needed
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2000-05-31 10:53 ` Brian Keener
From: Brian Keener @ 2000-05-31 10:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Chris,

I gave it a shot on a Win95 Laptop that I already had B20 installed on.
Used the download from the Internet Option and then installed to an empty
directory instead of replacing the B20 so I got the new (or what I
believe to be new) Directory structure.  Seemed to install and work like
a champ.  Since I was pretty new to it with B20 and am still new to it, I
am really still checking it out and learning but setup seemed to go just
fine.

Brian Keener
bkeener@thesoftwaresource.com
75462.747@compuserve.com

This e-mail contains privileged and confidential information solely for the use of the addressee.  If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, copying or other use of the message and its content is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this message in error, please notify use immediately by telephone or e-mail.
Mailto:Administrator@FultonPaper.com

Thank you.

* Re: setup-1.45.exe testers needed
@ 2000-05-22 14:12 ` Chris Faylor