From: Fabian Henze <fabian.henze@webfleet.com>
To: Mark Geisert <mark@maxrnd.com>,
	Marco Atzeri <marco.atzeri@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Python regression related to unix sockets
Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2022 11:46:23 +0000	[thread overview]

Hi all,

This is a follow-up on a mail thread from February 2021.

Mark Geisert via Cygwin wrote:
> Fabian Henze via Cygwin wrote:
> > Hi Cygwin users,
> > I noticed a regression in the recent Python packages: Between version
> > 3.6.10-1 and 3.6.12-2, accessing the SSH agent via the paramiko python
> > package broke. When a ssh agent is used, paramiko tries to connect to
> > it via the unix socket and just freezes. Python 3.8 is also affected,
> > but I don't know which was the last working one.
> > I was able to pinpoint that error to 3.6.12-socketmodule.patch [1].
> > Reverting/removing the patch fixes the ssh agent access.
> > A few weeks ago there was a discussion regarding "Problems with native
> > Unix domain sockets on Win 10/2019", but it seems unrelated as the
> > cygwin1.dll from [2] does not work for me.
> >
> > Can you please check if you are able to reproduce that? I uploaded a
> > script [3] for that.
> >
> > Best regards,
> > Fabian Henze
>
> Thanks for the report and sorry you've run into this.  The patch is a workaround that's evidently too draconian.  I will debug the situation using your testcase.
> Thank you very much for the testcase.

Did you (or anyone else) make any progress on this that you can share?
Unfortunately the issue still persists in all current python versions.
If no one has time to debug and fix this, would it be an option to remove the
3.6.12-socketmodule.patch that is causing the regression since it only fixes a
theoretical problem in unit tests, but causes real-world issues? Maybe the
upcoming (?) Python 3.10 or 3.11 bump would be a good candidate to do so?

Best regards,
Fabian Henze