From: gs-cygwin.com@gluelogic.com
To: Andy Romens <romens.andy@hotmail.com>
Cc: "cygwin@cygwin.com" <cygwin@cygwin.com>
Subject: Re: Lighttpd and Perl
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2021 17:28:06 -0400	[thread overview]

On Thu, Sep 30, 2021 at 10:07:24AM +0000, Andy Romens via Cygwin wrote:
> Good morning all,
>
> I am running into a bit of what appears a noob issue with lighttpd.
>
> Short and sweet version is I am transitioning from Apache to lighttpd.
>
> Gotten pretty far, except now I am having issues with parsing.
>
> Our website will run a command in a browser like ‘server/cgi-bin/myscript.pl?prod,eventhist’ in the web browser. With Apache, it will split everything after the ‘?’ As variables, and return a nicely formatted html result page.
>
> However, after switching to lighttpd, it’s not passing those variables anymore. When I run the script in Cygwin, it works just fine.
>
> I’ve been banging my head on this problem for a few days now, so any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

I'd suggest starting at https://wiki.lighttpd.net/#Documentation and
carefully reading through the link for "How to get help".  Then, you
can post your improved questions in the lighttpd Support Forum,
perhaps with more details about your script.

When running CGI scripts such as "myscript.pl", lighttpd creates a
standard CGI environment [1], including environment variables such as
QUERY_STRING, so the problem is likely in your Perl script, and likely
a misunderstanding of standard CGI environment variables.

[1] The Common Gateway Interface (CGI) Version 1.1
    https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/rfc3875