From: Corinna Vinschen <corinna-cygwin@cygwin.com>
To: Cedric Blancher <cedric.blancher@gmail.com>
Cc: cygwin@cygwin.com
Subject: Re: how to set mount posix=1 option for an existing bind mount?
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2023 11:46:34 +0200	[thread overview]

On Aug 11 17:37, Cedric Blancher via Cygwin wrote:
> On Tue, 8 Aug 2023 at 20:53, Corinna Vinschen <corinna-cygwin@cygwin.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Aug  8 16:52, Cedric Blancher via Cygwin wrote:
> > > Good afternoon!
> > >
> > > How do I set mount posix=1 option for an existing bind mount? mount -o
> > > remount does not work.
> >
> > Did you read https://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/mount.html?
> >
> > Mount points created by mount(1) only exist in the current user session,
> > and they will disappear with the last process of that user.
>
> Where are the sessions stored? How can I list, create and destroy sessions?

I'm talking about Windows sessions.  Cygwin just has a shared memory
shared between all processes of a user session.  That's where the mount
points are stored.  Shared memory is not persistent and destroyed (by
Windows) as soon as the last process having a HANDLE on that shared
memory exits.

> > Our mount(1) doesn't support remount, so you have to unmount and mount
> > again.  Again, this only affects the current user session, not other
> > users on the system.
> >
> > Last but not least, posix=1 is default and is not shown in the output
> > of mount(1).  Only posix=0 will be printed.  So this:
> >
> >   C:/foo on /home/bar type smbfs (binary,user,bind)
> >
> > means the mount point is mounted with posix=1.
>
> But on my Cygwin 4.7 installation C: defaults to posix=1
>
> posix=0 is default for /cygwin/c:
> $ mount
> C:/cygwin64/bin on /usr/bin type ntfs (binary,auto)
> C:/cygwin64/lib on /usr/lib type ntfs (binary,auto)
> C:/cygwin64 on / type ntfs (binary,auto)
> C: on /cygdrive/c type ntfs (binary,posix=0,user,noumount,auto)
>
> Why? Where do I change the default?

https://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using.html#mount-table
https://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using.html#cygdrive

Corinna