From: gs-cygwin.com@gluelogic.com
To: Eric D Hendrickson <ericdavidhendrickson@gmail.com>
Cc: "Hendrickson, Eric D" <edh@optum.com>,
	"cygwin@cygwin.com" <cygwin@cygwin.com>
Subject: Re: Ruby EOL in Cygwin 3.4.9?
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2023 23:59:14 -0400	[thread overview]

On Wed, Oct 11, 2023 at 09:55:04PM -0500, Eric D Hendrickson via Cygwin wrote:
> Sorry for the unclarity - I meant this for the whole list - not just you.
>
> Thank you so much for taking the time to respond.  Like you said, this
> really is all volunteers.
>
> For the whole list:
>
> Totally taking into account the all volunteer nature of Cygwin, would it
> make sense to defer on further non-emergency releases of Cygwin until all
> packages that are EOL have been updated?  Since this is the case with ruby,
> I am guessing it's likely the case with other packages in Cygwin too.
>
> Is there a Issues log of some sort (ala github) for Cygwin somewhere, so
> that I can document this in the backlog and come back later to investigate
> this myself if I have time this winter?
>

> On Wed, Oct 11, 2023 at 8:11 PM Eliot Moss <moss@cs.umass.edu> wrote:
>
> > On 10/11/2023 6:36 PM, Hendrickson, Eric D wrote:
> > > Hi Eliot,
> > >
> > > Thanks for responding.  That makes total sense.
> > >
> > > Totally taking into account the all volunteer nature of Cygwin, would it
> > make sense to defer on further non-emergency releases of Cygwin until all
> > packages that are EOL have been updated?  Since this is the case with ruby,
> > I am guessing it's likely the case with other packages in Cygwin too.
> > >
> > > Is there a backlog for Cygwin somewhere, so that I can investigate this
> > myself if I have time this winter?
> > >
> > > Thank you and all the best,
> > > Eric

Absolutely not.  That makes *zero* sense for an all volunteer group.

Not every single package is important to everyone.
(I am speaking personally, as maintainer of a single package on Cygwin.)

You care about Ruby?  Good.
I do not use Ruby, so that is not important *to me*.

If some specific packages are important to you, please consider finding
the maintainers of those packages and offering to help maintain those
packages.

https://cygwin.com/cygwin-pkg-maint

There are many ruby-* packages that have been orphaned.  Have at it. :)

Cheers, Glenn