* Babel trouble with latest cygwin package
@ 2017-06-09 21:58 Harvey Stein
From: Harvey Stein @ 2017-06-09 21:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I'm using cygwin on Windows 7, setup.exe version 2.879 (64 bit).

I updated my packages yesterday, and now Babel in LaTeX is having
trouble.  The line:

\usepackage[USenglish]{babel}

is eliciting the following error message:

! Package babel Error: Unknown option `USenglish'. Either you misspelled it
(babel)                or the language definition file USenglish.ldf was not fo
und.

See the babel package documentation for explanation.
Type  H <return>  for immediate help.

l.393 \ProcessOptions*

?

This is the correct parameter for the babel package and works on other
platforms and worked before the package update.

When I change the line to:

\usepackage[usenglish]{babel}

the error goes away.

Is there an issue with how latex was packaged?

Thanks.

* Re: Babel trouble with latest cygwin package
@ 2017-06-10  1:16 ` Ken Brown
From: Ken Brown @ 2017-06-10  1:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 6/9/2017 5:58 PM, Harvey Stein wrote:
> I'm using cygwin on Windows 7, setup.exe version 2.879 (64 bit).
>
> I updated my packages yesterday, and now Babel in LaTeX is having
> trouble.  The line:
>
> \usepackage[USenglish]{babel}
>
> is eliciting the following error message:
>
> ! Package babel Error: Unknown option `USenglish'. Either you misspelled it
> (babel)                or the language definition file USenglish.ldf was not fo
> und.
>
> See the babel package documentation for explanation.
> Type  H <return>  for immediate help.
>
> l.393 \ProcessOptions*
>
> ?
>
> This is the correct parameter for the babel package and works on other
> platforms and worked before the package update >
> When I change the line to:
>
> \usepackage[usenglish]{babel}
>
> the error goes away.
>
> Is there an issue with how latex was packaged?

No, this is a known bug in the upstream babel-english package:

   http://tug.org/pipermail/tex-live/2017-June/040243.html

It looks like a fix was just committed a few days ago.  I'll update
texlive-collection-latex within the next few days.

Ken

* Re: Babel trouble with latest cygwin package
@ 2017-06-10 13:16   ` Ken Brown
From: Ken Brown @ 2017-06-10 13:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 6/9/2017 9:16 PM, Ken Brown wrote:
> On 6/9/2017 5:58 PM, Harvey Stein wrote:
>> I'm using cygwin on Windows 7, setup.exe version 2.879 (64 bit).
>>
>> I updated my packages yesterday, and now Babel in LaTeX is having
>> trouble.  The line:
>>
>> \usepackage[USenglish]{babel}
>>
>> is eliciting the following error message:
>>
>> ! Package babel Error: Unknown option `USenglish'. Either you
>> misspelled it
>> (babel)                or the language definition file USenglish.ldf
>> was not fo
>> und.
>>
>> See the babel package documentation for explanation.
>> Type  H <return>  for immediate help.
>>
>> l.393 \ProcessOptions*
>>
>> ?
>>
>> This is the correct parameter for the babel package and works on other
>> platforms and worked before the package update >
>> When I change the line to:
>>
>> \usepackage[usenglish]{babel}
>>
>> the error goes away.
>>
>> Is there an issue with how latex was packaged?
>
> No, this is a known bug in the upstream babel-english package:
>
>    http://tug.org/pipermail/tex-live/2017-June/040243.html
>
> It looks like a fix was just committed a few days ago.  I'll update
> texlive-collection-latex within the next few days.

I've just uploaded texlive-collection-latex-20170520-2 with the fix.  It
should hit the mirrors shortly.

Ken