* MS Windows 8.1 EoL today
@ 2023-01-10 21:42 Brian Inglis
From: Brian Inglis @ 2023-01-10 21:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi folks,

As MS Windows 8.1 has gone EoL today:

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/lifecycle/products/windows-81?source=recommendations

with Chrome, Edge, and other product support also ending this month, is Cygwin
3.4.3 also the last release to support that and equivalent server releases, and
should that be clarified on the web pages and announcements.

--
Take care. Thanks, Brian Inglis			Calgary, Alberta, Canada

La perfection est atteinte			Perfection is achieved
non pas lorsqu'il n'y a plus rien à ajouter	not when there is no more to add
mais lorsqu'il n'y a plus rien à retirer	but when there is no more to cut
			-- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

* Re: MS Windows 8.1 EoL today
@ 2023-01-11  9:22 ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2023-01-11  9:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Jan 10 14:42, Brian Inglis via Cygwin wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> As MS Windows 8.1 has gone EoL today:
>
> https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/lifecycle/products/windows-81?source=recommendations
>
> with Chrome, Edge, and other product support also ending this month, is
> Cygwin 3.4.3 also the last release to support that and equivalent server
> releases, and should that be clarified on the web pages and announcements.

There are no plans to drop 8.1 support any time soon, and all 3.4.x
versions will continue to run on Windows 7 and later, as already
outlined in basically all cygwin package announcements since Cygwin
3.3.0:

https://cygwin.com/pipermail/cygwin-announce/2021-October/010268.html
[...]
https://cygwin.com/pipermail/cygwin-announce/2022-December/010831.html

Only the 3.4.3 release announcement is missing this info accidentally.

Corinna

* Re: MS Windows 8.1 EoL today
@ 2023-01-11 23:33 ` Brian Inglis
From: Brian Inglis @ 2023-01-11 23:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2023-01-11 9:22, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> On Jan 10 14:42, Brian Inglis via Cygwin wrote:
>> As MS Windows 8.1 has gone EoL today:
>> https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/lifecycle/products/windows-81?source=recommendations
>> with Chrome, Edge, and other product support also ending this month, is
>> Cygwin 3.4.3 also the last release to support that and equivalent server
>> releases, and should that be clarified on the web pages and announcements.

> There are no plans to drop 8.1 support any time soon, and all 3.4.x
> versions will continue to run on Windows 7 and later, as already
> outlined in basically all cygwin package announcements since Cygwin
> 3.3.0:
> https://cygwin.com/pipermail/cygwin-announce/2021-October/010268.html
> https://cygwin.com/pipermail/cygwin-announce/2022-December/010831.html
> Only the 3.4.3 release announcement is missing this info accidentally.

Thanks for the clarification.
I was just in touch with curl upstream to drop their Downloads web page Cygwin
x86 32 bit section, and clarify update availability, and was unsure whether that
EoL affected anything.
I will edit https://github.com/curl/curl-www/issues/216 to clarify that for
future searchers.