From: Brian Inglis <Brian.Inglis@SystematicSw.ab.ca>
To: cygwin@cygwin.com
Subject: Re: [EXTERNAL] Re: svn crashes when connection to server refused
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2022 01:35:56 -0700	[thread overview]

On 2022-01-17 19:03, Lavrentiev, Anton (NIH/NLM/NCBI) [C] via Cygwin wrote:
>> Subversion seems to have along list of upstream issues
>> can you check if the issue was already noted and solved upstream ?
>> If so I can deploy a new release.

> Thanks for the suggestion!
> Looks like 1.14.1 dated Feb 2021 is the latest official release, per their website;
> and that's what we have in Cygwin.
> I also tried to check out and build it right from the repository, but there were some
> issues....  Once finally built I got an error message that the https:// scheme wasn’t
> supported.  I guess I missed some configuration peculiarities for Cygwin (but also,
> I noticed that for some reason the source code treats Cygwin as Windows -- particularly
> how the pathname is assumed to have the drive letters, and that is really baffling --
> so I am not exactly sure what was meant by that by the SVN developers).

You should normally be able to build from git-cygwin-packages repo for
subversion containing cygport, patches, and any other Cygwin files, but
the current release has not yet been checked in at:

https://cygwin.com/git-cygwin-packages/?p=git/cygwin-packages/subversion.git

although you can see from the tree 21 patches were available to apply.

So you have to download the source package which will include the
current cygport, patches, and any other Cygwin files.

It is often a good idea also to look for relevant source patches
available in packages' sources from upstream, as well as other distros
such as Fedora (closely related to and used by some to build some Cygwin
tools, parts of releases, and packages), Debian, MacPorts, and OpenSuSE
where available:

https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/subversion/tree/rawhide
https://salsa.debian.org/lts-team/packages/subversion/-/tree/master/debian/patches
https://github.com/macports/macports-ports/tree/0a3636ef019083102b8eb19ba230d173a2a37afe/devel/subversion/files
https://github.com/bmwiedemann/openSUSE/tree/master/packages/s/subversion
[Thanks to those who pointed me to those package sources repos]