From: Eliot Moss <moss@cs.umass.edu>
To: cygwin@cygwin.com
Subject: Re: Request to the git maintainer
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2017 23:17:00 -0000	[thread overview]

On 7/10/2017 6:27 PM, Kaz Kylheku wrote:
> On 10.07.2017 14:02, Eliot Moss wrote:
>> On 7/10/2017 4:24 PM, Achim Gratz wrote:

> You can't ask every vendor of everything that you have installed
> or "git pulled" to fix their permissions because your backup program
> has bizarre limitations.

I'm not asking "every vendor".  I'm asking a limited number of
cygwin port maintainers (and so far only one specifically).

CrashPlan does not have "bizarre" limitations -- it quite
naturally has some difficulty if a file's access does not grant
it permission.

The permissions on these files is what is bizarre.  There is no
good reason they should deny read access.

Windows does not really have an equivalent of "root" that can
access anything, so there is not really any privilege I can
give the backup tool that is guaranteed to work in all cases.

I can fix the access mode manually, but every time there is an
update to the package, it will revert, so that's not a great
solution.

Beyond that, I'm not going to argue with you, Kaz.

Regards to you all -- Eliot