From: Dr Bean <drbean@freeshell.org>
To: Thomas Wolff via Cygwin <cygwin@cygwin.com>
Subject: Re: No Native Language Support in browser started from shell prompt
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2024 07:20:04 +0000	[thread overview]

On Sun, 16 Jun 2024, Thomas Wolff via Cygwin wrote:

> Am 14.06.2024 um 09:37 schrieb Dr Bean via Cygwin:
> > With qutebrowser and Microsoft Edge started from a cygwin shell prompt,
> > there is no Native Language Support.
> >
> > Started from a cmd prompt,
> >
> > "c:\Program Files\qutebrowser\qutebrowser.exe" https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E8%A5%BF%E6%97%A5%E6%9C%AC%E3%81%AE%E5%A4%A7%E5%AD%A6%E4%B8%80%E8%A6%A7
> >
> > qutebrowser has Chinese and Japanese support.
> >
> > But in cygwin neither qutebrowser, started with cygstart or
> > as /cygdrive/c/Program\ Files/qutebrowser/qutebrowser
> > https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E8%A5%BF%E6%97%A5%E6%9C%AC%E3%81%AE%E5%A4%A7%E5%AD%A6%E4%B8%80%E8%A6%A7
> >
> > nor Microsoft Edge as default browser started with cygstart, enjoy NLS support.
> That page displays fine for me, after starting /Program Files
> (x86)/Microsoft/Edge/Application/msedge.exe with cygstart. What exactly
> is the symptom of "no Japanese support"?

I spoke too soon. Microsoft Edge doesn't appear to lack NLS support when
started from a mintty window either with cygstart or the /cygdrive path.

qutebrowser, started from a mintty window with both cygstart and the /cygdrive
path, does lack support.

But when started from a 'cmd' prompt as "c:\Program
Files\qutebrowser\qutebrowser.exe" qutebrowser's NLS support
doesn't differ from Edge's.

The 3 Japanese, Korean and Traditional Chinese MS IME I have on this Japanese
Windows 10 computer have various ways of switching between ASCII (I guess)
keyboard entry and kana, hangul and bopomo entry modes.

The Japanese switch is via the CapsLock key.
The Korean switch is via clicking a task bar toggle next to the IME icon (?) in
the lower right hand corner.  The Traditional Chinese switch is Ctrl-Space

None of these toggle switches are responsive with qutebrowser started from a
mintty window, and I can only input ASCII. (But they are when it's started from
the 'cmd' prompt or desktop.)

The Korean switch has a pop-up message in Japanese saying the switch is
inoperative (or disabled.)

> > Of course the IME are working in the mintty bash shell and 'screen' sessions.
> >
> > I don't understand.

Thanks for your work with mintty.

> --
> Problem reports:      https://cygwin.com/problems.html
> FAQ:                  https://cygwin.com/faq/
> Documentation:        https://cygwin.com/docs.html

Greg "Dr Bean" Matheson		Some are born autonomous. Some achieve
http://drbean.sdf.org		autonomy. And some have autonomy thrust
drbean@freeshell.org		upon them. --Dr Bean