From: Martin Koeppe <mkoeppe@gmx.de>
To: cygwin@cygwin.com, fetchmail-users@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: cygwin 1.7.35 reads file permissions differently, affects fetchmail
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2015 09:11:00 -0000	[thread overview]

Hi all,

I just updated from cygwin 1.7.32 to 1.7.35,
and now file permissions are calculated differently,
which breaks fetchmail for me:

Here are the Windows permissions:
(no permissions for Domain Users / Domänen-Benutzer)

$ cacls fetchmailrc.txt
D:\fetchmail\fetchmailrc.txt NT-AUTORIT.T\SYSTEM:(ID)F
                              NT-AUTORIT.T\LOKALER DIENST:(ID)C
                              DOMAENE\LocalAdmin:(ID)F
                              VORDEFINIERT\Administratoren:(ID)F

cygwin-1.7.32 $ ls -l
-rwx------+ 1 LocalService Domänen-Benutzer    1932 15. Aug 2014
fetchmailrc.txt

cygwin-1.7.35 $ ls -l
-rwxrwx---+ 1 LocalService Domänen-Benutzer    1932 15. Aug 2014
fetchmailrc.txt

Now, there are group permissions set. For me it breaks fetchmail,
because fetchmail only runs when the config file is owned by the user
running fetchmail (LocalService in my case, a system user I never can
login with) and with max 0700 permissions. While this check is ok/good
for Unix, because you still can view/edit the file as user root, you
now can't anymore as Administrator on Windows.

So cygwin's old calculation helped me to get it working that both
fetchmail is happy as the file is only accessible by the user running
fetchmail and I am happy to be able to change the file as
Administrator. This seems now broken, or is there still a possibility
to do that?

@fetchmail's maintainers:
Is it possible/desired/ok to disable this check on Cygwin?

Thanks
Martin