* environment is too large for exec
@ 2020-03-04 19:20 Satish Balay
From: Satish Balay @ 2020-03-04 19:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi,

I'm seeing the following error from cygwin:

"environment is too large for exec"

I can try reducing the env - however - is there an option in cygwin to increase the current 'max env'?

Please include me in cc: in replies.

Thanks,
Satish

------

Note: In a prior run - I got the following [confusing] error. I'm assuming its the same issue.

#	n "bc_ctl.arg_max >= LINE_MAX" failed: file "/usr/src/findutils-4.6.0-1.x86_64/src/findutils-4.6.0/xargs/xargs.c", line 500, function: main
#	/home/glci2/builds/p34_q_s8/0/petsc/petsc/lib/petsc/bin/petscdiff: line 60: 42848 Done                    cat ex19_logviewmemory.tmp
#	     42852                       | grep MatFDColorSetUp
#	     42856                       | wc -w
#	     42858 Aborted                 (core dumped) | xargs -I % sh -c "expr % \> 21" > ex19_logviewmemory.tmp.filter_tmp

* Re: environment is too large for exec
@ 2020-03-05  6:47 ` Andrey Repin
From: Andrey Repin @ 2020-03-05  6:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Satish Balay, cygwin

Greetings, Satish Balay!

> I'm seeing the following error from cygwin:

> "environment is too large for exec"

> I can try reducing the env - however - is there an option in cygwin to increase the current 'max env'?

As far as I recall, this is an OS limit.
Most often this is caused by an overgrown %PATH% variable. Inspect it and
cleanup from stuff unused/unnecessary. There's many ways to make executables
visible without adding them to %PATH%.

--
With best regards,
Andrey Repin

Sorry for my terrible english...

* Re: environment is too large for exec
@ 2020-03-05 10:40   ` Satish Balay
From: Satish Balay @ 2020-03-05 10:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Wed, 4 Mar 2020, Andrey Repin wrote:

> Greetings, Satish Balay!
>
> > I'm seeing the following error from cygwin:
>
> > "environment is too large for exec"
>
> > I can try reducing the env - however - is there an option in cygwin to increase the current 'max env'?
>
> As far as I recall, this is an OS limit.

Ah so that can't be changed. Thanks for the info.

> Most often this is caused by an overgrown %PATH% variable. Inspect it and
> cleanup from stuff unused/unnecessary. There's many ways to make executables
> visible without adding them to %PATH%.

In this case - it was gitlab-runner setting up an env var with the commit message - this was long.

Satish